Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adsl

Options
  • 29-03-2002 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Just to let you all know that ADSL will be rolling out within the Next 3 weeks and it has a exceptable price tag.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

And you know this how??? what do you deem as an exceptable price tag?
    still a cap on the service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

actually last i heard its being rolled out in may, which is abite more then 3 weeks. were do you get your info from

also unconfirmed sources say that the wholesale price will be at least 50 euro. so what does that mean for the retail price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by the Guru
    Just to let you all know that ADSL will be rolling out within the Next 3 weeks and it has a exceptable price tag.

Remember if you are wrong, you will lose ALOT of credit :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Regardless of roleout time, i suspect it will only be available in limited places in dublin. after that it could be years before anyone outside "the pale" gets a trial let alone an actual role out.

As for a dublin role out, I spoke with with a tech guy from eircom.net about a month ago and he said the roleout would be nearer the end of the year, he wasnt very specific.

One can only wait in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

well.. as an alternative to ADSL you could always get a leased line... I just got quoted €45,000 per annum for one... and now I need to lie down with a bottle of vodka..

• Advertisement

i got a quote of €12,000 euro for a 64k ATM line and the actual connectivity from eircom.net. the equipment was approx €2,500 extra. :(

*faint*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by the Guru

Guru, i bet you 1 million euro that your wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

4 million or 10% of revenue, whichever is higher!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

lol :)

Hey , i heard from my neighbour who is friends with the lunchlady who works across the road from eircom that its going to be 10 per month for 2mb sdsl!!!!!!! I SWEAR THIS IS TRUE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by LoGiE
    what do you deem as an exceptable price tag?
    still a cap on the service?

It's probably an acceptable price tag to eircom ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭skrobe

youre a bit early april fools day is to day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Yes there will be a cap on the Single user on downloads over 3gb 3c for every Mb (per Month)..... on the top level there is no Cap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

do you not think we should be protesting for a better infrastructure in ireland for comms?i mean everybody is concentrating on adsl...why not ask for vdsl or ATM?they are faster..would make more sense to me anywayif we get the framework down to start with then we can build up from there is everybody's attitude.i think we should demand faster technologys(because we have LOTS of catching up to do with the rest of the world)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You can get ATM access at the moment, but it is expensive. It's not aimed at home/small business users.

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    You can get ATM access at the moment, but it is expensive. It's not aimed at home/small business users.

yeah a 64k dedicated line using ATM from eircom including isp is about €12k a year including equipment.

I'll say it again, we can only wait in hope for something or someone to come along and help us out. by someone i mean an international Telco of some kind with loads of cash to help the country catch up.

*shrug*

Regards,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by flamegrill
    yeah a 64k dedicated line using ATM from eircom including isp is about €12k a year including equipment.

I suspect that price is for a leased line. AFAIK, no telco in Ireland will do ATM at speeds under 34Mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

AFAIK, no telco in Ireland will do ATM at speeds under 34Mb/s

64Kbit/s to 155Mbit/s are the speeds they'll do in general, but as flamegrill stated, you pay for it.

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes

64Kbit/s to 155Mbit/s are the speeds they'll do in general.

I was correcting Flamegrill's comment that he was quoted for a 64k ATM connection. He wasn't - ATM is usually 34Mb+. Anything below that is usually a leased line.

ah where you may be wrong. it would have cost me quite a bit more for a leased line as it would have had to go from carlow to dublin as there is no leased lines in any near by exchange.

where the atm comes in, is the exchange is ISDN ready and isdn uses ATM, therefore the quote i got was for a 64k channel over the ATM frame work in the local exchange.

Regards,

Paul

[edit]

i still have the email from the eircom guy i spoke to on the phone at length

[/edit]

Originally posted by flamegrill
    the exchange is ISDN ready and isdn uses ATM

No it doesn't. It is pretty common for telcos to use ATM to backhaul PSTN and ISDN trafic, but its incorrect to call them ATM connections. I can't say, for example that I use a 56k dialup SONET connection, even if it is backhauled over SONET - the presentation to me is still PSTN.

therefore the quote i got was for a 64k channel over the ATM frame work in the local exchange.

The quote you got appears to be for a dedicated ISDN line. Whoever told you it was ATM was full of sh1t. Interesting to see that its available though. Pity its so expensive...

(And sorry everybody for dragging this so far off-topic:cheeky: )

• Advertisement
Advertisement