Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers tell President they believe trespass Bill is racist

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Kensai

Originally posted by Monkey
    there should be more sites provided for Travellers and there should people who work on site there to make sure there are no problems and the sites are kept clean.
    Why should people be paid to look after the travellers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 blondi

kensai , no offence intended , but be realistic..?

We have 2 choices

1) do whatever we must to find a happy medium ?

or

2) shoot them ?

if it took another 100yrs I would still choose option no. 1.
    ( AND I'M NO MOTHER TERESA )

we could opt for no.2 , but the smell of blood carries very far, what would happen to your secret killings then ?

if i were them i wouldn't fu*k about with the ruskies....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Interestingly, most of the media are in support of the new bill - even the Irish Times! Well, the editorial anyway. RTE TV however, appears to be sticking to it's bleeding-heart guns and staying strictly on the side of the travellers. According to last nights report, the travellers were being victimised and the new bill was racist. Queue video shot of a bonfire on the Russian Embassy grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by blondi
    It is part of their culture to 'get' something from another person, even if thats a cigarette or a few pence , and that must be understood and to a degree accepted.
    Wrong. Their culture originally got something for doing odd jobs. They moved in, did a few jobs, and were largely accepted by the local population. Now they move in, cause hassle with the local population (I'm sorry, but it's a majority are scum, not a minority), and demand money/clothes/food for absolutely nothing. On top of that, plenty of then do have legitimate trades, raking in the cash.

Other than that your post makes great sense :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

We have 2 choices
    1) do whatever we must to find a happy medium ?
    2) shoot them ?
    False dichotomy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Nonesense.

Most people here are being inflaminatory and are saying utterly biggoted and racist things.

There is no conclusive evidence that proves in an objective way that 'most' travellers are scum, that is just a racist comment.
    Most people who say that travellers simply desire to live in destitution, ultimately show their own ignorance and closedmindedness.

Travellers are people like everyone else, now it pains me that some posters seem to think this is a 'bleeding heart' notion, really it does as I hate to burst their insular, biggotted little bubbles, but the fact is that there is a miasma of reasons these people live the way they do and to condemn them for what you percieve to be true of all people from a Travelling background simply shows biggotry in it's most seething and fervent form.

None of you actually can prove the wild and leude accusations you are making about Travellers being spongers or creamers or <insert derogatory deference> so please before you go spouting off your racist claptrap think.

Muchos Gracias
    Typedef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It is part of their culture to 'get' something from another person, even if thats a cigarette or a few pence , and that must be understood and to a degree accepted.
    Absolutely. And it is part of my (Italian) culture to pinch women on the backside.

Fight against racism! Show us your bum, lass :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Typedef
    There is no conclusive evidence that proves in an objective way that 'most' travellers are scum, that is just a racist comment.
    Agreed, but racist is the incorrect, and emotionally charged, term.
    None of you actually can prove the wild and leude accusations you are making about Travellers being spongers or creamers or <insert derogatory deference> so please before you go spouting off your racist claptrap think.
    Absolutely – given that they adhere to the same laws and responsibilities as the settled community, all this is a moot discussion and won’t apply to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Well I won't have much respect for the travelling community in general while there are unacceptable problems with them, whether its caused by a majority or a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I believe this derives from cream crackers - rhyming slang ?

• Advertisement

Thank you for the False Dichotomy link Meh ,I read it with interest, and think I’m clearer on the concept now, but the point I was trying to make was this.

I would like it to be understood that I personally have NO SPECIAL LOVE for travellers. My inditement to travellers is , I believe , based on the ‘reality’ of their existence among us, wether we like it or not they are here to stay.
    I believe they have as much right to be here as anyone else and I believe in the supremecy of the ‘Rule of Law’ (which travellers should obey like the rest of us , without exception.)

Therefore I have no problem with the new legislation and think it is long overdue , but if we pass these laws without some kind of framework in place to address the problems of poor halting site facilities and making provisions for the obvious differences in their culture to ours, it’s hardly a surprise some people will see the new laws as ‘racist’.

Shooting them is of course not an option , but in reading some of the other posts I am dismayed at some of the remarks being made disregarding an entire community as ‘worthless scumbags’ If we fully disregard them and write them off totally, the world would have justifiable contempt for us, and this will martyr them and hence, make it their victory (as I have said in an earlier posting)

I was trying to stress that if we give up trying to find a solution that would suit all parites concerned the whole issue could slide into the abyss, the further travellers will be alienated , the worse the situation will get , and the higher feelings will run.

Sheamus made the point that they used to move in and do ‘odd jobs’ and this was certainly true in the past , but consumerist society has made the traveller redundant in this respect . If you have something that breaks you throw it out and get a new one.
    When was the last time anyone brought pots and pans to the ‘tinkers’ to repair ?
    However on meeting a traveller they will ALWAYS ask you for ‘something’ and will persist until you give them something , and then they will go on their way.
    There is a specific word used in the travelling community for describing this concept which I cannot remember at the point of writing but will endeavour to find out.

’Gothe’ said

”Theories are grey, and Real Life is green.”

We should deal with the reality of the situation and stop farting around with theoretical solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I know how to shoot down this law.

/me is going to put a 'no political canvassing' poster on the driveway and get all the politicians arrested as they come around!

Re: the Russian Embassy. I haven't seen anything about it, but generally the Russians (except in a case of a request for asylum ;)) could use reasonable force to eject trespassers and could call on the Irish government for assistance under the Vienna Convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Originally posted by handyandy

What is a 'creamer'?

Dublin slang, Cream Crackers....Knackers. Surprised you aint heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Dotsie~tmp
    Only if they are tresspassing of course. I live in Finglas and they have 4 sites here. 2 are legal (one at the top of Cappagh and one small one on Dunsink Lane), and the 2 are illegal (one large site again on Dunsink Lane surrounding the small legal one and the other further up Cappgh Road just outside Finglas).

Hey Dotsie, u must be around the corner from me(settled of course !!), boards.ie is a small world :):)
    The manager of Fingal council last year declared it was his intention to move the travellers who run that big giant scrapyard on dunsink lane off the land(across the road from the settled travellers houses), however nothing has come of it so far.
    Thats why this new law will give the council the necessary powers to evict the illegal squatters. All its down to now is will it be enforced properly :rolleyes:
    Residents here are thinking of taking civil action against the council as its an environment hazard.
    They are their own worst enemy. If you dont live near a settlement and disagree with this bill take a trip out here and look at what the residents of estates like Dunsoley Castle in Finglas have to put up with. Those brand new houses are infested with rats.

I would second that opinion, i see it everyday, not a pretty sight, nearly 30 years of rubbish lying around :(:(

I sympathise with 'Dotsie' and 'Gurramock' living so close to halting sites.
    I myself do not, but I know that the scenes they describe are accurate, and believe travellers should be subject to our litter laws too.

Advertisement