Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bands that don't get enough airplay

Options
  • 29-03-2002 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

anyone think of any bands that just don't get enough airplay on phantom?

here's my list:
    rage against the machine
    queens of the stone age
    the crocketts
    at the drive in
    gorky's zygotic mynci
    less than jake
    NOFX
    counting crows

my theory? most of these bands have long names thus a lot of ppl won't request them in their txts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

The Handsome Family
    Neil Young
    Van Morrison
    The Jimmy Cake
    The Redneck Manifesto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 scotsman

Turin Brakes!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

in my opinion all (real) metal bands dont get enough airplay(current airplay=0)
    more cryptopsy i say(try spell that on nokia's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

ZAPPA

everyone else gets too much airplay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Minerva

a perfect circle
    alice in chains
    smashing pumpkins
    queen adreena
    dave matthews band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Keep suggesting, please do, but do remember this from our point of view. It is impossible for us to win on this one! Last time we had this debate, we were slated because we don't play enough jazz music and another posting said that we played too much old stuff (like Zepplin, Clash etc) while others said that we didnt play enough old stuff. Really is great to see all the suggestions though, they do all help, and they are all noted.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

PS If anyone happens to be passing the studio during the show on Sunday night and has any easter eggs, then my favourite is either Aero or indeed the squashy Gateaux marshmallow ones. Thank you. Might even play some jazz if ye do! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

Ruaidhri, you've got it right! not near enough proper metal music...like pantera/slayer/in flames etc...

also there should be more punk... not just green day, blink but bands like rancid and nofx etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭geekstinkbreath

Originally posted by Kurdt
    also there should be more punk... not just green day, blink but bands like rancid and nofx etc

I totally agree wit that one,
    Im into those bands and id love to hear the likes of more NoFX rancid, Operation Ivy, the frustrators, well the list is endless but ph could really use a good punk show, or at least play less mainstream punk way more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Originally posted by Minerva
    a perfect circle
    alice in chains
    smashing pumpkins
    queen adreena
    dave matthews band

hear hear.

and francie, there's life after zappa...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I dont think enough ska is played, and if it is its just Less Than Jake or Reel Big Fish, these bands are brillant but there are other great ska bands out there. I definitly agree that there should be more NOFX and Queens of the Stone Age played

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

ok well Led Zepplin NEVER gets played. And Alice In Chains aswell
    AND rage against the machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

A bit of Zappa would be nice, maybe something from Hot Rats? Oh, and some Mondays... seeing as the film is out and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

well the problem is that there is no vairety on irish(all the ones i can get in galway anyway :( )radio stations..used to listen to phantom when i was in dublin and when they were still broadcasting there..dunno if they still are been years since i was in dublin..i would not mind radio if they played ska/pink/classic rock/etc as long as it's not dance and not pop..
    i mean i've heard cryptopsy played ONCE on the radio..never heard nile on the radio..what can you do?
    i say there whould be shows catering for ALL music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

AC/DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

Originally posted by Pete Reed
    Hello all,

Keep suggesting, please do, but do remember this from our point of view. It is impossible for us to win on this one! Last time we had this debate, we were slated because we don't play enough jazz music and another posting said that we played too much old stuff (like Zepplin, Clash etc) while others said that we didnt play enough old stuff. Really is great to see all the suggestions though, they do all help, and they are all noted.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

They could always tune into Jazz FM, I do.

Maybe Phantom could play more electronic music , I don't mean the brainless s h i t e that power fm and all the other knacker stations play, I mean stuff like The future sound of london, Aphex Twin, Orbital, U Zip, Nightmares on wax, Filla brazillia, daft punk, Kraftwerk......

Billy Wilder RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Sigor Ros never gets airplay either.

I think a DJ Today Fm at night plays electronic music ( forgotton his name) like Boards of Canada and Ahex Twin, but i dont really know of any other radio stations playing anything of that sort

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭The Evil Monkey

id love to hear the likes of more NoFX rancid, Operation Ivy, the frustrators, well the list is endless but ph could really use a good punk show, or at least play less mainstream punk way more!

i agree with geekstinkbreath. phantom could use a good punk show. i realise that its hard to play what everyone wants to hear but when u play special interest shows, ppls music has a better chance of being heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

smashing pumpkins, perfect circle, hear hear.
    but musn't forget Tool!

thank you evilmonkey! ithink ph would benifit wit some more special interest shows, we get loads of variety from the phantom during the day, but it would be nice to hear more of the gr8 genres phantom plays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 raven_jezebel

at the risk of sounding like just another whining voice in the crowd........

ya just gotta play more irish unsigned bands.

there are ****loads of them out there, and i know i've certainly been requesting them and neither had my request read out nor the songs played!

.....needless to say it's beginning to piss me off!

• Advertisement

ithink this thread could go on for ever wit peoples suggestions, which are all valid, but the question is,is there anything we can do so that we all get our genres and bands played more? unfortunatly we live in ireland and unlike america there isnt a station for every genre. we are lucky to have phantom, but ido still think theres room for a bit more variety, but how can we all get what we want..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Minerva

although there are a lot of rubbish unsigned bands...

Originally posted by Minerva
    although there are a lot of rubbish unsigned bands...

true, but on this topic my problem lies with Ray McGowan.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Originally posted by metalish
    ok well Led Zepplin NEVER gets played.

I don't mean to nitpick, I really don't, but saying led zepplin never gets played is simply not true and its a bit frustrating to hear. For one, Joe and Keith on Thursday Challenge have played them on quite a number of occasions. Probably more than other bands. Sorry to single out metalish but it's just a silly and unfair form of criticism. Maybe you never heard led zepplin and maybe other people haven't heard the bands they want to hear either but has one or both of your ears been glued to the radio 24 7 for the past god knows how long?? If not, then perhaps retreat, reload and rethink your strategy.

I know phantom are doing a great job as it is, and it is a difficult one too, to please as many people as possible.

but this is a chance to express what we think might improve that even further, and i don't think i'm gonna pass up on that.

not everything that is suggested will be possible, but it gives even more of an idea to the djs as to what is wanted by those of us without mobile phones!

I don't mean to nitpick, I really don't, but saying led zepplin never gets played is simply not true and its a bit frustrating to hear. For one, Joe and Keith on Thursday Challenge have played them on quite a number of occasions. Probably more than other bands. Sorry to single out metalish but it's just a silly and unfair form of criticism. Maybe you never heard led zepplin and maybe other people haven't heard the bands they want to hear either but has one or both of your ears been glued to the radio 24 7 for the past god knows how long?? If not, then perhaps retreat, reload and rethink your strategy.

fair enuf roxy but i think the majority of peeps here making suggestions is making suggestions for genre based shows...not just bands that we might not hear coz we're not always listening to ph...ya know maybe a half hour slot every day for a certain genre... ie monday - punk ... tuesday - metal ... etc etc etc etc

not that ph isnt great already....

also mr pete reed is egging us on to make suggestions so how can we not???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Kurdt,

Briefly, coz its late and Im tired. Im not, repeat NOT Sinister Pete. He's the dashingly handsome in a squinty sort of way Canadian one :-) If I was, I would sign my postings Sinister Pete, rather than Pete Reed. Concentrate! Small............far away.......

And yes, its great to get suggestions from the untrue Zepplin and the Pumpkins and unsigned Irish bands for gods sake to some really good ones. As I said in the last posting I made in this thread, its never going to be possible to please everyone but we do our best and all input is welcomed.

For now, bed, and dreams of the easter bunny.

Night all,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

i does apologise & sleep well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭IRISHLILY24

...ya know maybe a half hour slot every day for a certain genre... ie monday - punk ... tuesday - metal ... etc etc etc etc

not that ph isnt great already....

also mr pete reed is egging us on to make suggestions so how can we not??? [/B][/QUOTE] quoted by kurdt

I think ph is doing a great job already, but since everyone is making suggestions, I agree with kurdt.
    Perhaps having every dj that has a show play different music then the one they follwed would get more variety in there.
    No 2 dj's should play the same genre of music in the same day. No one whole day should be dedicated to one genre either, you'd lose rating that way. It sounds, to me, Like playing a Different genre of music during each different show would solve the problem....if there is one. Keep up the good work anyway :)
    I have a WIDE assortment of music if your looking for another dj to help out with that variety btw. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

if phantom would look into recruiting a few more dj's (i know its easy for me to say) but they could do that idea of having different genre shows say between 11 and 12 each night when the phantom comes on to ease us into sleep

just an idea???

Advertisement