Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE problem [internet options]

• 29-03-2002 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

take a look at this screen shot

USE DEFAULT. Sets the default homepage to a page that I do not want showing up. Somehow a partcular site made itself the default, and i cannot see how to get rid of it [donkey p0rn most likely]

do i need to re-install IE [keep in mind it needs to be IE for certain resons] or is there someplave i can edit ?

also, the option to RESET WEBSETTINGS does nothing to help.

ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

have you installed any new progrmas,/ freeware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

erm am why don't you just put in the web address you want there and press apply???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

not that i know of, its not my puter so its hard to tell. im goin on what he told me, and hes sticking to the internet site story.

i upgraded IE to v6, thinking that the IOL cd would rewrite the default homepage but it kept the settings from 5.5.

azezil, that wont work, as that will only set the current homepage. the problem lies with hitting USE DEFAULT, which appears to be hardcoded into IE someplace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...TweakUI can fix this; I'm not 100% sure, though. It's downloadable for free from Microsoft and a whole pile of other places.

Gadget

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

DISCLAIMER: If you screw up your computer because of this advice, don't come crying to me.

- Start > Run

- Type in 'regedit', hit return.

- Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

- Double-click on the key 'Default_Page_URL'.

- Type in a valid URL, hit OK.

Now try it.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

as the phone line was tied up, could not download tweakUI

but

followed the regedit idea, and it was almost perfect. But the root was actually from HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and not _LOCAL. Must have got to do with Profiles and wat not.

thanks dahamasta, i learned something new ! also learned how to get rid of "Microsoft Internet Explorer" in the window title. can change it to all kinda of fun type strings :)

Advertisement