Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rest of your Life

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

In first year pharmacy now, but I dunno if I can see myself selling lipstick and pregnancy tests for the rest of my life... hopefully an RA/TA this summer!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

halenger wrote:
    the whole working for self thing isn't all it's cracked up to be a lotta the time
    I'm with you on that one, my Dad went out on his own just over two years ago and while his income has gone up by about 60% there are downsides such as lack of sick leave, having to do his own taxes [well, paying me to do them anyway], seemingly working all the time and having no time off to speak of. I mean, even when we go on holiday he still works because he has to! It's almost enough to put me off ever working from home

Anyway, I think it's pretty hard to predict where I'll be in 5 years - I'll be 24, a year and a half after finishing my Science degree and god knows what I'll be doing. I don't even know what direction my degree is going to take at this stage. Having said that, I'd love to go on and do further study - why stop at just a primary degree? My vague aim is to stay in college as long as I can, my brother is currently doing a PhD in London and it seems pretty sweet. If I were to pick an ideal job at this stage it would either be being the editor of a Science journal, or to go in a completely different direction I'd love to invent products for Lush. Yes, I am still obsessed with that shop :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Christ... this thread was started after I'd spent two whole summers at CTYI. Anyway, in the intervening ~3/4 years I've...

*been in a 2 year relationship
    *had friends die
    *had friends move away
    *lost old friends
    *gained new ones
    *truly seen how far reaching CTYI is
    *seen how small Dublin really is
    *sat 10 subjects in the Leaving Cert.
    *never did 1 of them in school. ever.
    *started college
    *dropped out of college
    *worked full time
    *joined the Army Reserve
    *rejected jobs that I probably would've loved
    *had 2 or 3 part time jobs I haven't quite loved
    *been to upwards of 40 concerts
    *been in 6 or 7 countries
    *posted in this thread

In the next five years I will probably...

*start college. Again. (Well, thats a definite.. Maths Science here I come!)
    *join the Regular Army as a Cadet
    *go too far to many concerts
    *go to a whole lot of countries
    *love new people
    *lose current people
    *have roughly 25 phones, and about 15 phone numbers
    *be an RA
    *mayhaps be a TA
    *break hearts
    *have my heart broken
    *enjoy strange and new music
    *look back on current and older music fondly

Um, I guess that's the lot.. though the fun of it all is not having a clue WHAT'S going to happen! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Alright, update time:
    The only thing i set for my life is that i want to attempt to work freelance. i don't want to get stuck in a 9 -5 because i don't want to end up working all day long, as i keep weird hours anyway. i want to still being playing the guitar, and listening to lots of music. and possibly doing something like architecture while doing stuff with pc's on the side. and have a small house in somewhere isolated.

well, i havent been tied down to a proper 9-5 yet - most of the jobs i've worked over the past few years have been vaguely easy going - working at upkeeping database stuff for my uncles business, working in CTYI as an RA and TA, working with the BA festival of science, and now back as a TA for the saturday courses. not too bad, though i still need a regularish job to tide me over for a bit - money's getting low.

I still keep weird hours.

I still play the guitar, but very rarely - the time just isnt there for me anymore. i realised i need to go replace my entire music collection to force myself to listen to new things.

I'm currently in my 2nd year of a computer science degree - architecture never happened thanks to not getting it - maybe someday i'll reapply - its still something i'd love to do.

As for living somewhere isolated - only ever managed that while travelling - staying in a hippie hostel just on the edge of the black forest, lit by candles, underneath a vinyard - now thats class.
    i forgot some things:

i want to find a quiet place to live where every evening i can watch the sunset and every night sit outside in the darkness and watch the night....

and i want to be a daddy

on the first part- its covered above.

as for the second, still not a daddy (thank christ) but would like to be at some stage in my life.
    You do know thats not legolas's real hair........

Its still not legolas' real hair.

-Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

working with the BA festival of science

I was meant to be doing stuff in that, then I ended up in hospital the day before for pointless surgery.

's not fair I tells ya :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

What do I want to do with the rest of my life? Well, I'd like to GET SOME! [/fullmetaljacket]

Seriously though:
    Meet someone special that I want to spend the rest of my life with
    Become a daddy (not soon obviously, but it is definitely something I want to do in my life, to create a whole new person, to raise them, to leave a lasting legacy, no matter how small)
    Finish this engineering degree lark, get a moderate to highly paid job doing something I like that I can take loads of time off from with no hassle

Army stuff:
    Pass a PNCO course and become a Cpl
    Learn how to be a good Cpl
    Get a reserve commission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Army stuff:
    Pass a PNCO course and become a Cpl
    Learn how to be a good Cpl
    Get a reserve commission

Hehe, long way to go on those ones mate... couldn't even get a Gunner to turn the correct way on a 200 metre march... tsk. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭JenLorigan

crash_000 wrote:
    working with the BA festival of science
    Piste wrote:
    I was meant to be doing stuff in that, then I ended up in hospital the day before for pointless surgery.

I did do that, and was slightly scared by the lack of Liz and unlack of people I didn't know. Think I remember seeing you there, Neil, now that I think...

Advertisement