Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2002 Election

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

You didn't merely ask a question, you asked a snide question and then insulted anyone who might vote for them. I'm not sure how familiar you might be with general good manners or etiquette of these affairs, but it is often seen as intrusive to question someone as to who they will vote for (or did vote for). There is a reason that voting is done in relative privacy, and we don't indicate our preferences by walking into a polling station and shouting "Give my number one to Ahern etc". If you want to know why someone votes for a particular party, try being civil and discreet. Part of poltics is opinion, and I'm sure I could come up with several reasons in my opinion that I could vote for ANY party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I know exactly who is going to get my first preference.
    My dilemma is which of two candidates is going to get my second and third preference. As with others here there is a good chance my vote will go round more than once.

I won't be voting PDs. The glacial speed at which markets are being opened up has convinced me that they are impotent.
    Just look over to the IrelandOffline forum to see what I mean.
    As for the Taxis, the PDs didn't deregulate this industry, the public outcry forced Fianna Fail to do something about it. Fianna Fail have treated them with contempt during the last 5 years and if it weren't for Charlie McCreevy sharing their ideologies they would have looked very stupid indeed. If ever there was a party that was 'in office' but not 'in power' the PDs are it. The independents exerted more influence on this administration than they did. I had an open mind about them 5 years ago and would have considered voting for them as I'm in favour of low taxation and deregulation but they just haven't performed in the interim.
    The taxation cuts came courtesy of Charlie McCreevy and surplus after surplus, not Mary Harney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That poll doesn't cover the monster raving looney party!

They get my vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

As for the Taxis, the PDs didn't deregulate this industry, the public outcry forced Fianna Fail to do something about it.
    It was Bobby Molloy (PDs) that finally dropped the bomb on the taxi cartel. And it's Bobby Molloy that's had to put up with the wrath of the taxi-drivers since.
    If ever there was a party that was 'in office' but not 'in power' the PDs are it. The independents exerted more influence on this administration than they did. I had an open mind about them 5 years ago and would have considered voting for them as I'm in favour of low taxation and deregulation but they just haven't performed in the interim.
    That's very debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    That poll doesn't cover the monster raving looney party! They get my vote!
    They are not registered as a party here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

That minister just happened to be manning the post when the change came. I object to him taking credit for anything there.
    Looking at the PD website they list 3 years of peace in Northern Ireland amongst their achievements..... As if the IRA or UVF listen to them.

Any improvements that came our way are as a result of international market forces or pressure being brought to bear by the EU or the public threatening to storm the house.

As for being in office rather than power - I'll refer you to the abortion referendum, public spending and Campus stadium Ireland. PDs opinion on these issues were\are ignored. Also, when the PDs realised how corrupt their partner in government was they should have walked away but they didn't, they stayed round and collected their ministerial salaries.

From what I've seen a vote for the PDs is a wasted vote as they appear to blow in the wind and adopt the colour of whomever they ally with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Victor

They are not registered as a party here ;)

How do they register as a party?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    How do they register as a party?

I imagine if you contact the Clerk of the Dáil and/or the Electoral Commission (see the Useful Links post)

Originally posted by yellum
    My family has always voted for Fine Gael but in recent years after dealings with Fianna Fail we are voting for them. Fianna Fail have done more for my family in the past 5 years than Fine Gael ever did in 20 or 30 years of dedicated support.

This was highlighted when my grandmother died last year and two fianna fail TDs came down from Dublin to attend the funeral. The cynical may think that its a good way of getting votes but at least they attended. A fine gael TD who the family was friends with for years didn't bother to attend.

At the end of the day its a trade system, if they get stuff done for you, you'll support them.

However even if Fine Gael actually did anything for me I wouldn't support them with Noonan as a leader. After the Hepatitis C fiasco I have to faith in him and with the party backing him as leader I have no faith in the party.

It would be nice to see Kathy Synott get a seat as more than likely Fianna Fail would need her support in the next government. Now that would make things interesting. :D

Similar story with me!
    If theres a wrong way to become popular-Fine Gael are doing it.
    They are going down the road of oblivion imho.
    Michael Noonan may be funny, but him as Taoiseach:eek: no thanks.
    To be honest I would be afraid of Fianna Fail in an overall majority government;although it was a long time ago since that last happened, it would make them or any party arrogant.

All politicians suddenly remember your complaints around election time regardless of what party (or none) they belong to and then forget them untill the next time.But it's important to keep voting as you can turf the bad ones out.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

Originally posted by Reefbreak
    I wouldn't like to see FF in power on their own - I believe the PDs can act as a good party to keep them on the straight and narrow.

Well well well. First Harney and her squandering of public money using an Air Corps plane to fly to Leitrim to open a friends off - licence. Now, more corruption and abuse of power by Bobby Molloy trying to influence a judge to defend a child rapist.

It brings to mind the international report from the Council of Europe on the levels of corruption in Irish political life.

“The number of recent incidents of corruption, which have been uncovered, does start to cast doubt on the sustainability of the current proposition that, firstly, there is no corruption problem and, secondly, there are no links between organised crime and corrupt public officials. Whilst these high-profile cases may be isolated they could also be the tip of an iceberg.”

Where does it end? While Fianna Fail and their Thatcherite sidekicks are looking after themselves and their wealthy friends ordinary people are suffering job losses, and an untenable health and housing crisis.

When will people cop on?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Aspro

Well well well. First Harney and her squandering of public money using an Air Corps plane to fly to Leitrim to open a friends off - licence. Now, more corruption and abuse of power by Bobby Molloy trying to influence a judge to defend a child rapist.
    Both of them cut their teeth in Fianna Fail in the Haughey era-so I suppose....song#"the first cut is the deepest....#"
    *cough* *cough*
    The Bobby molloy thing is a deadly serious wrong.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lara

Now, more corruption and abuse of power by Bobby Molloy trying to influence a judge to defend a child rapist

I don't think it's clear what he was trying to do. Since the letters weren't opened by the judge, and were returned to the woman in question (AFAIK) unopened, it's not clear what the letters contained. But he's resigned now, so it's become a sort of non-issue.

I haven't decided who I'll be voting for, but the thought of living in a country where Michael Noonan is leader is a very (very) disturbing thought...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I agree... the chance that I might seeing that face on TV everyday is something to make me consider emigrating...

But then when you add everything else to it... its a bit scary alright... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Beastie Boy

PD's

Specifically because of the consituency I live in and the likelihood that Liz O'Donnell will be elected, I think strtegcially it would be best to vote PD for another 5 years of FF-PD partnership.

my prefernces will then go to FF.

Advertisement