Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glowing tube thingies that don't require any power source!

Options
  • 30-03-2002 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Just stumbled across something you all may like.

This place in england are making a little tube with some slightly radioactive substance in it, Tritium, and this gives off a glow. Tritium is apparently used in the military for things like emergency lights in submarines and watches.
    From http://www.traser.com/technical.htm

The technical term for a traser light is a Gaseous Tritium Light Source (GTLS) These low level light sources have unique properties, they are unaffected by water, oil and most corrosive materials and require no external power source or exposure to light in order to work. They remain fail-safe and maintenance free and have a useful life in excess of 10-20 years.

Each traser light is a laser sealed borosilicate glass vial which has been coated internally with phosphor. In one single process the traser is sealed by a CO2 laser and injected with gaseous Tritium. The low energy electrons emitted by the Tritium, excite the phosphor and this creates a cold energy which produces a low level light without filaments or heat dissipation and no risk of fire or explosion.

From http://www.traser.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?act=list_product_detail&id=982870357&x=71&y=55

• Can be clearly seen in total darkness from up to 30 ft!
    • Glows (in the dark) for 10 years without batteries or recharging
    • From £9.99 for a pack of two (+ P&P)
    • Five fabulous colours - Green, Ice blue, Yellow, Purple and Orange.

These are available in various colours, two for STG£9.99. http://www.traser-uk.com/

Would be nice to mount one inside my case to provide some light to work by.

982870357.jpg

Spiffy, eh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Arent they like them things people have at raves.
    They dont look very bright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Those glow tubes at raves are chemical... Where as these tritium tubes are radioactive.... And those tritium tubes look really weak. 10yrs??? I assume the Rate of Decay is involved. Shouldn't that not mean that it will diminish its brightness at a rate equal to its rate of decay... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

yes i may glow in the dark for ten years, but as has been said, surely the brightness would dimish over time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

That's a valid point, but what the hey, I've just had a set of five ordered for me. :) (STG£20) Will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Can you take em out of that thick plastic covering???
    Looks mingin'

• Advertisement

I'm sure you can, but there's no way I'm cracking open any of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

anyone else thinking that they are just key rings????? its what im thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Aye, they look like little keyrings to me.

Could use them as earings at your next LAN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

These are also available a www.firebox.com at least they were last time I was there.

Redshift

Em, yes they are keyrings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Size/Duration: 50x10mm

That's nexto useless :(
    The only thing it's really handy for it for finding your keys.

Was thinking of getting that glow-wire type thing, tho most places seem out of stock lately. Would fit nicely into the case mod i'm planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Edser

I've had one of these for about a year now, and it is only a key ring. It does not project 'enough light to work by' but I suppose it could look cool.
    The actual light is only about an inch long and about as thick as the lead from a pencil, encased in thick plastic, (I suppose you could open it) however it is handy for finding your keys :)

Ed

Originally posted by koneko
    Was thinking of getting that glow-wire type thing, tho most places seem out of stock lately. Would fit nicely into the case mod i'm planning.

Yeah, me too, but it's a bit too expensive. Have lost the links to places that stock it, gah.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

phaxx, found some here:

http://www.oc-shop.nl

I think they had them here too, but can't be sure
    http://www.xoxide.com/cabling1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I've a fairly stict policy about radioactive substances in the house ever since the time that hamster followed me home from the nuclear power plant.....

Recieved them today, unfortunately they're much smaller than they appear, but they glow nicely in the dark. Not much use for case modding as I had hoped, though.

Advertisement