Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus + 1GB of memory

• 18-04-2001 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to find out on a problem do with the GeForce2 32MB Deluxe + having 1GB of memory in your machine and W2k.

It seems to cause a KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED in anv_disp.dll.

I have tracked it to the fact that I have 1GB of memory in the machine but I don't know how to resolve it beyond taking out the extra memory. frown.gif Anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Take out the extra memory - is there any prog apart from perhaps some high end 3d design tyoe stuff that even uses over 256MB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually W2K will address 1GB of memory easily. The limit your talking about hasn't existed for quite some time.

I don't want to take out the extra memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Try newer graphics drivers... I'm at a loss really though, as I know someone with a geforce ddr, and a gig of ram, and they have no problems. Except its a bx board. There might be a few settings related to this in the bios. Try agp aperture size, also see if there are any settings that could possibly be to do with ram in the advanced display properties.

I took out 256MB frown.gif It all works fine if I don't go up to 1GB.

I want all the memory in dammit. crying.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

That's a dispicable amount of RAM. There are starving nerds in africa that would love even an eighth of that, you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Advertisement

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

of course you could always send the ram to me biggrin.gif

i have two slots free just in case biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by [SN]JAG (edited 18-04-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Via chipsets are limited to 6 banks as far as I know, and if the memory has chips on both sides it won't take all 4(if it's 4 u're using), plus I think the PC133 standard doesn't let you use more than three slots, hence all boards coming with three slots, what model Asus is it? All the athlon ones have that limit, only the BX can handle 4 really, and thats only PC100, try setting the memory to 100mhz and see if it makes a difference, that sounds confusing, but if I knew what type of RAM + board you have(and any other little details) I could probably tell you a proper answer

Cheers biggrin.gif

The memory is PC133 CL3 SDRAM.
    Only 3 banks.

Bank 1 = 512MB
    Bank 2 = 256MB
    Bank 3 = (nothing at the moment, but should be 256MB).

Motherboard is Microstar. Not sure what spec maybe 6330MB?

Card is ASUS GeForce2 V7700 DLX 64MB Deluxe (latest drivers)

How do I go about dropping the speed of the chips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I thought the via intel chipsets could take 4 pc133. The asus p3v4x ( via 694x ) has successfully been run at 133mhz fsb, with 2 gigs of ram ( 4 * 512 ) . There is a question mark over the amd via chipsets ok, but I have run them with 3 double sided dimms ok. It could just be a problem particular to that MSI motherboard, try posting on forums like the ones on www.aceshardware.com
    www.hardocp.com
    www.anandtech.com
    www.ars-technica.com
    www.amdmb.com

etc...

• Advertisement

MSI have had a bad rep of late, the video card doesn't make an iota of difference in this case

is it an intel or AMD chip?

AMD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

astrofool - Hobbes says in another thread that its an Athlon 1.1Ghz

i know i was in a rush to go and just jotted anything down at the end,

look for something in the bios like ram speed : host clck + pci clk, and set it to host clk, (100mhz, the other is 133), could be a dodgy ram chip?, or that the board can't handle that high a load(most likely), some boards used to include a buffer area to handle high amounts of RAM (Abit), get the newest BIOS for it, set all values in bios to minimum, turn agp 4x off etc. There's probably a few more things but I can't think of them right now, isit a KT133 or KT133A chipset?, or do you know?

Go to www.anandtech.com look at the server work they did, they alos had faulty MSI boards, which MSI have been unable to fix

Advertisement