Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3, Are they legal?

• 29-03-2002 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭

i don't get this. the boards find it perfectly alright to post up links for kazaa . so people can donwload mp3 and stuff. most of the stuff that you get off these sites are illegal. and have warez on them too. but anything to do with cracks and warez sites are forbidden. what is going on???

kazaa is just one big warez program

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

mp3 downloads arnt illegal in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

Originally posted by Boston

they are illegal to have if you don't own the origanal copy and even if they are not illegal in ireland they are all protected by international laws. do you ever read what it says on cd discs

quote from a cd

the copyright in this sound recording is owned by sony music entertainment (uk) ltd.
    unauthorised coyping, public performance, broadcasting, hiring or rental of this recording prohibted

how could i read whats on a cd, when i download them?

I see no problem with these secific programs, since there mostly used to download music. i wont change ms app/os forum policy,
    you can appeal this to devore if you wish Pm him,

but if you want to continue this discussion, please take it to the right forum.

I asure you anybody asking, or posting warez links will be stamped on, hard here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Now Boston, it's not exactly a secret that you're well practiced in the art of Spouting Absolute Bollocks, but this really takes the proverbial. Have a read up on the Irish Copyright Act like a good lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Have a read up on the Irish Copyright Act like a good lad

Or indeed the Berne Convention, which Ireland is a signatory to, and which quite clearly defines what the legal situation here is.

Where on EARTH did you get this particular crackpot idea, Boston? I'd be genuinely fascinated to know what your grounds for making that kind of statement is. I know that you're not expected to be all-knowing as the board moderator, but that kind of ridiculous statement would be deleted as a troll on pretty much any other board!

• Advertisement

well no more illegal then home recording,

Originally posted by Sico

Now Boston, it's not exactly a secret that you're well practiced in the art of Spouting Absolute Bollocks, but this really takes the proverbial. Have a read up on the Irish Copyright Act like a good lad.

Name one person arrested in the state for downloading mp3's and ill retract my statement.

It is illegal to j walk here as well, you dont see people getting so much as a fine for it though.

its illegal to have a mobile phone on your person while driving a car, the police themselves said they wont inforce that one.

Unless something is inforced, then how can it be stil la crime?

I never said they were legal to download, i just said they werent illegal, theres a huge grey area in between the two, such as immoral, un just unfair ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Lol!

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

I never said they were legal to download, i just said they werent illegal,

Quality muppetism

Just cause im not enforced not to kill say YORE MA that dosent make it not illegal

TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

hmm
    see where this was orginally posted here

It actually makes sense that way.

Boston mp3's are illeagal to download unless you own the cd/cassette or whatever. There is no two ways about it. Dont embarass yourself any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Is it illegal to download mp3 from Band Websites where the express permission of all concerned with the song has been given?

So much for whatever freedom people had to give stuff they owned away for free!

Thanks for enlightening me, shinji monty all you guys who seem to [edit] dislike boston's opinion[/edit] etc...

k,tnx, gg, pld and all your other pedantic stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

jim_bob, no-one forces you to download illegal material with and kazaa's express purpose isnt to download said material.
    [edit]my personal use of it really has nothing to do with the thread[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Slydice, stating such a fact in a thread that involved kaaza, which has nothing to do with bands sites...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Personally, I think that allowing or disallowing discussion on KaZaA and other P2P file sharing apps should be up to the Admins and NOT Boston (or any moderator for that matter), as it's an issue with possible legal implications.

"Napster" used to be a dirty word on Lucutus' Music/Radio board.
    Originally posted by Boston:

Annoying, moi?

Oui, bien sûr. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Thats also illegal.

A

EDIT - Referring to celt's post above.

Originally posted by Asuka
    Thats also illegal.

A

EDIT - Referring to celt's post above.
    Yup :)

In the same fashion of my previous post...

so if you agree that downloading from a website is allowed with the permissions i mentioned,

would not all downloading of MP3's be allowed providing that the artist and all concerned give their expressed permission?

so that would make downloading of MP3'S no matter how, providing the conditions i mentioned were met, LEGAL?

YES or NO?

Cos I don't know Irish Law, I haven't read the
    Have a read up on the Irish Copyright Act like a good lad

Or indeed the Berne Convention, which Ireland is a signatory to, and which quite clearly defines what the legal situation here is

Can one of you well informed people who presumably have read those documents tell me what the law says about the senario i just outlined?

Don't correct my grammer or spelling in your replies I recognise that it could be wrong!

"Napster" used to be a dirty word on Lucutus' Music/Radio board.
    Napster's only purpose was for the transfer of mp3 files.
    Unlike KaZaA

Anyway, linking to the thing can in no way have legal implications

Originally posted by Monty - the one and only
    hmm
    see where this was orginally posted here

Boston mp3's are illeagal to download unless you own the cd/cassette or whatever. There is no two ways about it. Dont embarass yourself any further.

mp3 is a file format, freely available, there is no law stating mp3's are illegal, because anything could be on an mp3, me singing lady in red could be on an mp3. it is illegal how ever to download copyrighted material. But thats me just being anal, the same way sico and shinji are being anal about the exact meanign of what i posted.

StrataGIST those laws are inforced, but sometimes are unable to be carried out to the full. Im not one of these people that prides himself on obaying the law, if they dont make any sense.

again untill people start to get arrested i wont take it as a serious law. IT was not intended to legislate against personal use but against large bodies taking advantage

Btw for all your bitching about how illegal this and that is, one complaint and i would have remove the thread. seems to me some of you, shinji and sico, are more interested in moaning then actually doing something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Downloading any copyright material is illegal. The context in which you phrased this - i.e. "in ireland", implies that in ireland, you can download any type of copyright material on mp3.
    Also, in the original post, the context was downloading warez and copyrighted mp3s. It is perfectly legal to download mp3's from places such as mp3.com but that is not what you were talking about.

I think you should probably stay away from law as a career. No matter how stupid you think the law is or how little it is enforced does not magically it legal.

Boston, just drop it.

• Advertisement

it is illegal however to download copyrighted material.

Post directly after it:
    Originally posted by Dustaz
    Downloading any copyright material is illegal.

I never said they were legal to download, i just said they werent illegal

Originally posted by Dustaz
    how little it is enforced does not magically it legal.

i love it when people dont bother to read the posts that have gone before hand.

BTw im sure you can download perfectly legal mp3's on kazaa, since a few bands (minor ones) have come out and said they dont mind.

im still waiting for someone to pm me a complaint, i wouldnt have posted the kazaa program, but due to (crying to mommy syndrom) i cant delete any celt posts without someone to back me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

this may help, expecially page 8 [i think]

Boston, what you just did, just there, thats called Flame Baiting, and even though I've argued that mp3 downloading is legal, ie I pretty much came into the argument on your side,

<cut the **** slydice - DeV.>

Btw for all your bitching about how illegal this and that is, one complaint and i would have remove the thread. seems to me some of you, shinji and sico, are more interested in moaning then actually doing something about it.

Actually I don't give a damn if your board has a thread about Kazaa on it. I was merely interested to know where on earth you got the impression MP3 downloads were legal in Ireland.

Since you've since effectively retracted that statement but gone into massive realms of pedantics (just how many people on Kazaa are hunting for Boston_sings_lady_in_red.mp3, do you think?) in order to avoid admitting you were wrong, I'm going to have to go into pedantery as well - if only for the amusement value.

So here's an interesting fact for you. If a band or individual distributes an MP3 via their website, then yes, it is in fact illegal because they are not paying the due royalties to the MCPS for this distribution. If it's streaming, it counts as broadcasting - and hence royalties are due. If it's downloadable, that's distribution - and again, royalties are due. However, since it's almost impossible to track the distribution of an MP3 set loose "into the wild", this method counts as copyright theft and is illegal.

I don't personally believe that this system is enforcable in the long term; however, as the mechanical fees recieved by the MCPS decline due to the downturn in CD sales and the uptake of digital media, you're bound to find that there'll be a few years when the MCPS goes on a rampage over this stuff, and prosecutions WILL happen.

So there. It *is* illegal. And, believe it or not, "it ain't a crime if you don't get caught" isn't a major tenet of the Irish or European legal systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Mp3 downloads aren't looked upon as seriously as warez for some reason. Sure a single song doesn't cost as much as your average computer game - but alot of people download whole albums and never buy CD's in their lives. It's just as cheap if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I'd liken putting a link for kazzaa to selling a bread knife. It's purpose is to cut bread, but used incorrectly it could kill someone!*

*crap analogy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

If a band or individual distributes an MP3 via their website, then yes, it is in fact illegal because they are not paying the due royalties to the MCPS for this distribution. If it's streaming, it counts as broadcasting - and hence royalties are due. If it's downloadable, that's distribution - and again, royalties are due

just a question Shinji, would this hold true for someone like amazon or cdnow,
    or in a band situation, someone like these chaps ?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Christ, I'm embarrassed at the ****ing clue-level of ALL of the posters here. Armchair lawyers the lot of you.

Wake up people, here is the truth:

MP3's are not illegal in Ireland. I have several hundred LEGAL mp3's on my harddisk including some I made myself.
    To my knowledge MP3's are not illegal ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
    Its a file format, how the hell do you rule a method of organising information as illegal.

Transmission or possession of copywritten material for which you DO NOT HAVE A LICENSE is illegal REGARDLESS OF THE DISTRIBUTION METHOD.... burnt cd's, mp3's, paper etc.

Kazaa certainly is NOT illegal. It can be (and often is it would seem) used to break copyright law how ever many things with legitimate uses are frequently used to break the law. A link to Kazaa is a link to a genuine website that wants to distribute its software. A link to a warez site or a warezed copy of software is a step too far. It has no use but to steal the software/etc.

Links directly to copywritten mp3's would be banned and the person 12-clicked.

Things are "illegal" regardless of whether a certain group of police officers choose to enforce it. Its still against the "LAW".

Some actual *facts* too. I know you all seem to avoid them like the plague:

"A senior Dutch court has ruled along these lines by saying that
    file-sharing software Kazaa doesn't steal copyrighted music. That finding by the Court of Appeals in Amsterdam yesterday reversed a lower court's opinion. The court in November first ordered the Netherlands-based company behind the Kazaa technology to stop offering the peer-to-peer (P2P) software or face fines of $40,000 a day."

Oh and if you dont have a clue, take your finger off the reply button... sheesh.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Shinji

So there. It *is* illegal. And, believe it or not, "it ain't a crime if you don't get caught" isn't a major tenet of the Irish or European legal systems.

Is it actually stated in Irish law whether it is legal or illegal to download mp3's ? !
    /me thinks it's a hazy area.
    If you own the original cd's and convert them to mp3 format it is perfectly legal ??
    What if you own the original cd and download the exact same material in mp3 format, is that legal ? !!
    What if you swap with an online 'friend', is it the same as swapping with a real-life friend legal wise in the street ? !!

• Advertisement

Tom :-
    MP3's are not illegal in Ireland. I have several hundred LEGAL mp3's on my harddisk including some I made myself.

You're replying to a totally different argument, and of course you're correct - no file format can be illegal (although Microsoft might have different opinions about DivX 3.0, but even the US courts won't touch that one).

What Boston said was : "mp3 downloads arnt illegal in ireland". Note "downloads". He was blatantly suggesting that downloading copyright music in digital form isn't illegal in Ireland; he went on to defend this on the basis that nobody has ever been arrested for it so it can't be illegal. He was patently wrong and it doesn't take an "armchair lawyer" to point this out, just anyone with the slightest clue about national or international copyright law.

Seems a bit harsh to start shouting about people's "clue-levels" or "armchair lawyers" when actually quite a lot of what has been posted is correct... (Although of course you chose to pursue the Kazaa thing the discussion started from - I don't think the discussion has really been about Kazaa since Boston decided to argue that MP3 downloading is legal....)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement