Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3, Are they legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

shinji just admit your wrong, the download of mp3s is not illegal, fact, show me the law were its states mp3 download is illegal. i have not retracted any statement but rather backed it up.

this is what I stated and yes im correct. devore has stated several arguments I used, yet I don't see him getting jumped on in this fashion.
    He was blatantly suggesting that downloading copyright music in digital form isn't illegal in Ireland

No I wasn't, and I think im a better judge of what I was saying then you are. ive said already that the download of copyrighted material is illegal.

and I only got onto the issue of the copyright law when someone else brought it up, are following arguments were directed at that.

you can me pedantic, that is hypocrisy of the highest order, you condemn me on one word, download, why is download any different then ripping,
    Actually I don't give a damn if your board has a thread about Kazaa on it.

it seems to me that you were looking for an argument to start with me, now ive handled this well, devore(remember that guy) has said my original statement was perfectly valid, as is my policy on file sharing programs,

get over it, you have lost this argument. and do us both a favor next arguement we have keep it civil. i dont apperciate being called a fagot, a retard, a muppet, a spanner, or what ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by gurramok
    Is it actually stated in Irish law whether it is legal or illegal to download mp3's ? !
    It's a well established legal principle that if something isn't explicitly illegal, it's legal. The acronym "MP3" does not appear on the Irish statue books. Therefore downloading mp3's is perfectly legal. I can download all the mp3's I want, provided I have the consent of the copyright holder. Making copies without the consent of the copyright holder is illegal however. It was illegal before the advent of mp3's and it'll be illegal with .oggs or .mpc's or whatever file format replaces mp3.
    If you own the original cd's and convert them to mp3 format it is perfectly legal ??
    Yes. Look up "fair use" .
    What if you own the original cd and download the exact same material in mp3 format, is that legal ? !!
    Mp3.com got sued and lost for that in the US, so apparently it isn't legel there. There's no similar precedent under Irish or EU law, however. So the answer is, nobody knows if it's legal.
    What if you swap with an online 'friend', is it the same as swapping with a real-life friend legal wise in the street ? !!
    Exactly the same. No difference whatsoever.

Originally posted by Meh
    Therefore downloading mp3's is perfectly legal. I can download all the mp3's I want, provided I have the consent of the copyright holder.

do you agree that downloading mp3's as a broad example, is not illegal?

we cant all be wrong shinji,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What the hell is this post doing on the Politics board. Moving it to the Technology one.

Gandalf.

Originally posted by Boston
    do you agree that downloading mp3's as a broad example, is not illegal?
    Absolutely. Downloading mp3s is legal; infringing copyrights is illegal. The former does not necessarily imply the latter,

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Shinji
    What Boston said was : "mp3 downloads arnt illegal in ireland". Note "downloads". He was blatantly suggesting that downloading copyright music in digital form isn't illegal in Ireland
    It's possible to download copyrighted mp3s legally from sites like mp3.com. You lose.

now the wait to see if shinji is a big enough man to admitt hes wrong.

gandalf, this was a legal issue, which i thought would most suit the politics board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by jim_bob

quote from a cd

the copyright in this sound recording is owned by sony music entertainment (uk) ltd.
    unauthorised coyping, public performance, broadcasting, hiring or rental of this recording prohibted

Next post
    Originally posted by boston
    how could i read whats on a cd, when i download them?

You were talking about copyrighted material originally. Which is why you got all the replies you did. This is the point we were making NOT whether the mp3 file format is legal or not.

Dont get me wrong, nearly all of us download this material all the time. It just doesnt make this any the less illegal.

With respect Devore, i deal with music copyrights nearly every day and while im no lawyer im fairly sure i know when im breaking the law with regards to this issue.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    You were talking about copyrighted material originally.

wrong dustaz, my orginal post was mp3's are not illegal to download, a post that since then has been challenged by sico and shinji, on its on mirits, since down ive been proven correct,

now what you want to do is take another, later post (which was a sarcasm btw) and use it in context with the first. thats just no on.

what most people, yourslef included atempted to do was twist my words so it appeared i was saying it was not illegal to download copyrighted material.

the first time the word copyright was used was after me orgianl post, not before.
    why you got all the replies you did

no i got all these replies because people persumed one thing while the truth was another thing.

in fact your the only one to quote that comment, people read my comment and said, hold on mp3 = copyrighter material, when I pointed out that MP3's = doesn't necessarily = copyrighted material I got called pedantic.

Was my orginal statement correct dustaz, yes or no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

No I wasn't, and I think im a better judge of what I was saying then you are

Oh really? Well you see, that's interesting. Someone made a comment about your permitting of a Kazaa thread on the MS Apps/OS board, as the primary use of Kazaa is copyright theft through downloading MP3s. Your single-line response to this was that downloading MP3s is not illegal in Ireland. Now, in human language we have this thing called "context" - you can turn around now and say "I never meant copyrighted music" and try and make everyone else on the thread look like a fool, but lets face it - nobody here is a bloody idiot Boston, and secondary school debating points like that mean sod all.

It's patently obvious what you meant. Had I misinterpreted you, I would accept that I was incorrect. Since you're now lying about your original post, I see no reason to accept anything of the sort. Still, I suppose it's a step up from deleting bits of your original post and then claiming you never said them, like you're more used to doing. There's hope for you yet!
    why is download any different then ripping

Er, because when you rip a music file from a copy you already own, you are exercising a right to make a single "back-up" copy of a piece of copyright information on perishable media. This is enshrined in copyright law in both Europe and the USA. Downloading is not the same thing - and the reason places like MP3.com got done for this is because of the illegality of making copyright material available for download in any form.
    it seems to me that you were looking for an argument to start with me

Rubbish. You posted something which I felt was inaccurate and, in fact, completely off the wall, so I pointed this out. I don't wander around the boards stalking you - oddly enough, I have far better things to do with my time. And you're not the only person I've argued with extensively, but oddly enough you're the only one apparently claiming persecution...
    and do us both a favor next arguement we have keep it civil. i dont apperciate being called a fagot, a retard, a muppet, a spanner, or what ever

And where on this thread, exactly, did I do that? Come on Boston, it's one thing to try and pretend you never said/meant something yourself, claiming that I did say stuff when anyone reading the thread can see that I didn't is another matter entirely.

Meh : -
    It's possible to download copyrighted mp3s legally from sites like mp3.com

Actually, that's rather the point of my own little excursion into pedantery earlier on - in Europe, because mp3.com and the artists involved aren't paying fees to MCPS, they're actually technically in breach of the law.

Yes, I know this is stupid. The law is perfectly capable of being an ass at times :)

However, this point of pedantery aside (it doesn't apply outside Europe and is an unenforcable law never intended to cope with MP3 or internet streaming), I never argued that all "downloading MP3 format media", blanket term, is illegal. What I contended was Boston's blanket "downloading MP3s is not illegal in Ireland" - right on it's own, but entirely incorrect and misleading in context.

This has become a ridiculous nitpicking argument. We all know what the facts of the matter are, we could argue people's intentions in how they phrased things till the cows come home. Let's drop this.

• Advertisement

as i suspected, shinji is right, im wrong (because of context or some other such bull)

Meh is wrong cause shinji allready said what he said except in a different way with different words and a different meaning
    And where on this thread, exactly, did I do that? Come on Boston, it's one thing to try and pretend you never said/meant something yourself, claiming that I did say stuff when anyone reading the thread can see that I didn't is another matter entirely.

no you see i didnt calm you said anything, theres a little thing called context. your werent very civil to me in your argument.

then in another sentance i said i dont appreciate being called a muppet ect. i didnt say you called me a muppet, just that i dont appreciate it.

big difference between saying "i dont appreciate being called a muppet ect" and saying "i dont appreciate you calling me a muppet"

now i expect an apologyfor beeing accused in the wrong, i wont recieve on because your allways right

i was called a homo in this thread, as the logs would point out.

Im amused by the fact you say lets drop it and at the same time still trying to discredit me.

it was in context of a program, that isnt illegal, to downlaod a file format that isnt illegal, simple as that.

anywho im willing to let this drop, as im pretty much after coming out on top.

im sure you will be less quick to attack me in the future and thats the imporant thing.

Now lets jsut be happy this arguement has been settled without the need for an admin to close this thread, or anybody running to the admin board callign for me to be hung from the nearest yardarm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

You're class Boston, you know that? Pure class. Don't ever change, the world would be a poorer place without you. Laughter is such an important thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

LOL @ Boston....shinji's right...nearly make the guy a damn admin this is the funniest thread i've ever read on boards. How can one guy still believe he's right after all this? still i can't complain makes fer some interesting reading....i wonder what score he'd get on an iq test....tho what ever it is i'm sure my dog would beat it as he show's no sign's of actual intelligence...my dog can understand no and sit...what can he do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

devoreintervention.jpg

wont someone please think of the children ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

KILL THIS THREAD

stupidcert.gifdevoreintervention.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Lol just how exactly did you come out on top?

Lol just how exactly did you come out on top?

well shinji pretty much declared it a draw, and I had 2 members and an admin backing my side while shinji had one or two mods and some no lifers, I think that's pretty even. there was no right and wrong in this thread, just how much support you got.

but in the grand scheme of things , I had my forum policy indorsed by the board administration so it wont be challenged again,
    I had it excepted that as moderator I do have the right to make such policies, and I had my original statement(but just the original one) backed up, what ever about the rest being crap.

Serialkiller, you may compare me to a dog, but ill never roll over and play dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

<calculation mode>
    hmmm.... 2 members and one admin....
    compared to 2 Mods and some no lifers.
    Now, I can only presume that a -member is worth 1 point
    -No lifer is worth 3 points
    -Mod is worth 4 points
    -Admin is worth 5 points

(Thats what those stars are for isn't it?)
    So let me get my calculating slide rule out of my smoking jacket one second...
    clackety clack clack
    Boston - you have 7 points
    Shinji - you have 14 points

</calculation mode>

you forget an admin has 5 stars and they are gold, which doubles the power of the admin and when used in conjunction with devore it is tripled,

so i work it out that ive at least 20 points compared to shinji's 14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you forget an admin has 5 stars and they are gold, which doubles the power of the admin and when used in conjunction with devore it is tripled,

so i work it out that ive at least 20 points compared to shinji's 14.

shut up.

hold on, i have to recalculate, wwm on shinji sides brings his point total to 18 points, but as the games has officaly finished wwm is disallowed and the judges have awarded a 2 point penalty aginst shinji for use of a ringer. final score shinji 12 boston 20+

hey WhiteWashMan, relax just some fun, this ceased to be serious last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Serialkiller, you may compare me to a dog, but ill never roll over and play dead.

Well, can you bend over and play nurse?

I bet you say that to all the men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Only the pretty ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

GIVE IT A REST BOSTON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

pointless picture time...

Great.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan