Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nazi !

Options
  • 30-03-2002 2:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

I saw this article in this months issue of PC Zone---->

[Article Start]
    Goverment watchdogs have slammed a slick new virtual reality computer game that glorifies Nazi imagery. According to News of the World, "worried ministers want Day of Defeat banned from Britain, fearing it will stir up racial hatred and provide a platform for fascists".

The notoriously level headed newspaper claimed that in the Half-Life mod, "players are "armed" with authentic looking rifles, Luger pistols and Hitler youth knives. They fight on battlefields draped with swastikas and nazi posters". The Gutter dwelling publication pointed out that Return to Castle Wolfenstein "sold three times more than a pop chart no. 1" and quoted Labour MP Louise Ellman as saying "Day of Defeat and games like it are a matter of grave concern, part of a trend helping to make nazism acceptable".

Bollocks obviously, and I politely suggest that the News of the World stick to what it does best, namely tits, bingo and spying on minor celebrities.
    [Article Finish]

I own Medal of Honour Allied Assault, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Day of Defeat, and I must say this is entirely utter bull$hit. Out of all of these games, Day of Defeat carries less Nazi contact than the others. The DoD team mainly stuck to using the Iron Cross of the Wermacht, then the Nazi swastika. Yes, there are posters featuring swastikas in the game, but their just eye candy.

If people believe that Day of Defeat is encourging or supporting Nazism I'd like to see how they justify this belief. It doesnt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

News of the world is alwayy stirring up the national hatred crap .
    Anyway the Nazi guns are better (STG) :)
    And they start in better postitons in RTCW and MOHAA :).
    Guess im a Nazi now :(
    Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

own Medal of Honour Allied Assault, Return to Castle Wolfenstein

arse, you own nothing. Do I see a mention for lending you MY games???

Anyway..I read the same article. made for some side splitting laughs!
    Tis the same ole stori of games being blamed for all that is wrong with society.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Zis ist de terrible newz. Alzo it ist completley untrue. I have just bought ze MOHAA und it haz had nein effectinzi on me.

Herr amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

FFS waffle it's only a ****in game they are muppeteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

news papers have to write stories to fill their pages some sometimgs they write crap just fill them. At least with the queen mother`s death that should keep the papers full for a few weeks and make them leave us gamers alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by Augmerson
    ...According to News of the World...

BOLLOCKS

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

right, what you do is this:

Consumer electronic's and games eventually began to become popular with the masses of the western world around the 50's onwards.

Number of world war's since that time: 0

Number of world war's before that time: 2

In conclusion games create a less violent society.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Originally posted by astrofool
    right, what you do is this:

Consumer electronic's and eventually began to become popular with the masses of the western world around the 50's onwards.

Number of world war's since that time: 0

Number of world war's before that time: 2

In conclusion games create a less violent society.

I couldn't have said it better myself.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Stephen:
    BOLLOCKS!
    True.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

i love DoD and RtcW, but i know sod-all about nazis :)

All i know is that if anyone (more likely to occur on CS, as it happens) starts praising nazis or being racist or any crap, they get a severe bollocking off everyone else on the server.

'nuff said, watery government types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Except for multiplayer when your a nazi dont these games promote allies and tell of the woes of nazi's. Just thought id point out the flaw of the news of the worlds argument. also in RTCW its allies or axies Not nazi's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

No fair. I haven't killed any more people with my Hitler Jugend knife since RTCW than I did before.

But in all seriousness. This happens every coupla months. Some politician wants to blame all the worlds problems on games, music or films (Oh.. Yeah... Chucky made me do it).

FFS, the world's gonna end up like in Demolition Man. You get a fookin ticket ever time you swear. Ooooh games are evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Originally posted by koneko
    FFS, the world's gonna end up like in Demolition Man. You get a fookin ticket ever time you swear. Ooooh games are evil. [/B]

Yeah that film was a poke at all the political correctness in the world. Stopping people haveing fun now thats a real shame.

Advertisement