Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL routers?!

• 12-04-2001 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Does anyone know if I need an ADSL router to connect to an Eircon ADSL line or if an Ethernet router will do? I've been told that Eircon's DSL lines basically provide a fast ethernet connection....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

gwan now your having a laugh aintcha hahahahaha Eircom ADSL these two words do not belong in the same sentence at the moment unless its something like EIRCOM WILL NEVER GET ITS BIG HAIRY DIGIT OUT OF ITS BIG HAIRY BOTTOM LONG ENOUGH TO release ADSL frown.gif

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I presume you won't be interested in selling ADSL hardware to anyone then?
    There are some lucky people (namely in Ennis who have had ADSL for quite some time now. Hey, I even share an VDSL connection with the other businesses in the building. Blows ADSL right out of it's socks (when it's working..)....

I presume you won't be interested in selling ADSL hardware to anyone then?
    There are some lucky people (namely in Ennis who have had ADSL for quite some time now. Hey, I even share an VDSL connection with the other businesses in the building. Blows ADSL right out of it's socks (when it's working..)....

Ooooops.....

Hehehe nasty stutter you have there.I have to admit my faith in eircom is such that i havent even looked into buying high speed modems for adsl[which would cost a fortune].As you say ennis is a very lucky minority and to be honest im suprise eircom havent pulled the plug on you yet.Dont get me wrong i wish you all the best and enjoy what is a real priverlage.BTW the norm is that the telco company will fit a box at your house install a highspeed modem and get you up and running so go and ask eircom for the bits you need.Im not being nasty but dont hold your breath

Stone biggrin.gif

• Advertisement

That might be the norm, however this regards a client of mine who has had ADSL for a while now but has asked me to provide him with a major hardware & software overhaul....
    I have as little faith in Eircon as you do (probably even less as I deal with them on a daily basis..)that's one of the reasons why I posted the question here. BTW seeing that you are setting up shop in Limerick, which is not a million miles from my doorstep, are you going to supply at trade prices too? I can do with a supplier who is not either in Dublin or Cork...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

theres no need for a router, just a DSL modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

Just my thoughts Kali. The provider should supply the high speed modem and you hang your PC/switch/hub out of that via ethernet. Eircom SHOULD be doing all the routing.

Here's a couple of hany URLs on xDSL,
    http://www.adsl.com/
    http://www.paradyne.com/sourcebook_offer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

you can get router DSL modems
    for 99% of people there no use but for a small number of people wiht networks that they do not want on the net there good.
    sorry but i do not know which one's are the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

if I fcan remember correctly Eircom were using PPPoE-(over ethernet)
    if you do a lookup you may find some info on it

• Advertisement

Mayhem E-mail me we maybe able to work something out. smile.gif

Stone biggrin.gif

Thanks for that, but already got it sorted.
    Got a nice 'n nifty Netgear DSL router to do the job....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Hankster

If you're looking for DSL routers, why not try http://www.linksys.com/, they don't do direct sales over the web (you'll have to go via Maplin's or someone like that), but at least you'll get a good idea of what their kit is about.

Their four port, DSL/Cable router retails for about Stg.£79 ex. VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

get a router, by a decent one you will be able to coonect multiable pcs to your adsl line and routers are the best form of hardware freewalls you can get, allso depends on the kind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Ya there is a linksys hub in my house and it is a nice pice of kit www.softwaredepot.ie are linksys distros around here any who and their based in Galway

Advertisement