Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Fray, The Vampire Slayer"

Options
  • 30-03-2002 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hey all.
    I've just finished reading issue 6 of a comic called Fray, which is written by my lord, Joss Whedon. It is set 300 years in the future, and is a spinoff from Buffy. Basically about a thief , Melaca Fray, who is called to be the slayer. Thing is, Demons have been gone since the early 21st century, and the Watcher's council consists of lunatcs and fools. Fray is trained with the help of a good (?) Demon who shows her the ropes, while she deals with the demons of her past. Has anyone read it? I am a huge fan, and would love to discuss it;)
    Chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Id love to read it, and discuss it. Its our devine lord Joss after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Anubis

I definatly recommend going to your local Forbidden Planet and buying a few back issues. It's only an 8 part mini-series anyhow, so you should be able to get most of them if you wish;)
    Chris

Oh, to live in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Anubis

Originally posted by plastic membrane
    Oh, to live in Dublin.

I presume you live in the bog somewhere:cheeky:
    Chris

Smack bang in the middle of one, actually. Ah well, i've still got Buffy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I've just finished Fray, and good lord its the best comic I've ever read. Is there any talk of a follow up?

And did Loo really, really annoy anybody else? And what the hell is going on with Mel's amazing disappearring/reappearring nosestud?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've had this comic for ages and still not bothered to read it, along with about 1000 other issues of various franchises. Maybe I should but tell me this: is it better than the very weak final two seasons of its parent series?

Yes.

By far. Really. My only real disappointments with it was some pacing preblems in the last chapter and the fact that it was over. But go in with a fresh slate, I'm still on a Fray high so my opinion might be biased.

Fray deserves a movie. She's edged out Faith as my favourite vampire slayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

um, correct me if im wrong, but doesnt that contradict the end of buffy?

Not entirely. Joss built in a rather nifty get-out-of-jail-free card.

SPOILERISH

According to Urkonn, your friendly neighbourhood goat demon thing, at the beginning of the 21st century the last slayer led an army ("possibly with some mystical allies") in one last stand against the demons. When it was over, they were all gone. Demon and slayer alike had vanished, as had all the magic from the world.
    (There's one ominous panel depicting both a monstrous tentacle and a young womans well manicured hand being pulled into a portal together.) The Watchers eventually decayed into fanatical lunatics (The only one we meet in Fray tells her she's chosen, then burns himself to death) and since there were no more monsters, slayers weren't called and trained to fight them.

By Frays time, the vampires have started to reappear, but since various things have created freakish mutants out of normal people, the vamps are accepted as an everyday hazard. Whatever happened to Buffy and her slayer army, we seem to be back down to one-at-a-time slayers. Joss has promised to address it in any further Fray adventures.

• Advertisement
Advertisement