Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapo car insurance for 18 year old-how to get it or does it exist?

Options
  • 30-03-2002 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

This has probably been asked here a billion times but im knew on this board.Heres a hypothetical situation that Ill be facing in a few years time
    Im 17/18 and have an ancient car[probably small] that i bought for a thousand or less.I live outside Dublin but would be using the car in the city possibly quite a bit.Roughly how much would my insurance cost with the cheapest company?
    Also what are the rules on under 25s driving their parents cars?Im fairly determined to have a car in a few years but if the cash is too high I could have to risk driving with no tax,no insurance and a motor that I bought for under £1000.Wish me luck:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Get a motorbike :D

Cheaper insurance, free rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Get on your parents insurance , that's your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Stephen
    Get a motorbike :D

Cheaper insurance, free rain.

Just remember to get a good thick jacket or the rain feels like a million tiny needles on your skin when youre driving... its not the nicest thing to experience

Get yourself a moped! Mucho cheapo vroom vroom... sure it wont go very fast but you'll have cheap insurance. dont bother with a car until youre at least 30 :)

Bikes are more fun anyway

Ohh and in reply to your hypothetical situation -> The best quote I was able to get on a 1 litre nissan micra was £3500 TPO. And no I dont live in Dublin... Like Stephen said, get a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Your options for insurance under €1500:

a) be insured as a named driver on your parents' car(s) provided they have a good no claims bonus and the engine size isn't too big.

b) get a moped. Insurance on them is around 500 euros.

c) go along with steo and get a motorbike.

d) move to australia where the average annual insurance premium is in and around the $90 mark

e) get a rambler bus ticket for the year.

f) buy a pushbike.

g) walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Be very careful about getting cover on your parents policy
    as insurance companies are taking a tougher line on what consitutes occasional/social useage. If you're caught in the car during business hours at the scene of an accident you may not get a kind hearing from the company.

Its for this reason a 19 year old freind of mine is having to
    find over €2000 to insure an aging Toyota Starlet 1.0 and shes a girl so proberly not paying as much as she might have had to if she were a fella (if you see what I mean!)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

h) stay in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

was just thinking to myself today,
    how much it would be to insure a van,
    maybe a VW transporter bout 2.2diesel i suppose.
    20yrs (lets say for "work")
    bout a 1993 or 4.
    anyone have one and have insurance or any1 know how much it wud be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

I thought most insurance companys dont let any1 under 25 drive on som1 elses insurance:confused: Would your parents have to pay much extra to have you driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yes. The annual cost would be their premium plus whatever the company see fit to charge you for your useage. This is usually based on the engine size, your age, your license, your parents' history ie no claims bonus and such, your area, price of car and some other aspects that escape me for the moment.

Advertisement