Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10meg network + 1gig network

• 31-03-2002 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Ok i dont know if this belongs here but its the best place i could find :/ Em I just got 3 intel 10/100/1000 network cards for free. I already have a 10meg network at home but its horrid slow for transferring large files.Is it possible to put a gigabit card in two of the more powerful pcs and using a crossover cable transfer large files across this while still keeping the 10meg network connection ? Any help at all would be great .. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You can use cat5e crossover cable to connect between 2 of the gigabit cards, for a gigabit connection. If i remember correctly though, the cat5e run has to be under 20m to support gigabit. You can have upto, and usually a little more than, 100m runs and still get 100mbit.

As to wether you can keap the network up while also using the crossover cable, i suspect not. Im guessing that the network card only has 1 port for cable? If you want to make it all into a network, get a gigabit switch (not a router) and you will be able to connect in the gigabit cards, along with your 10mbit ones..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

he doesnt need a gigabit switch/

first id like to know more about your network set up.

but this will work.

you install the two gigabit cards in your fast machines and they connect a 1 gig steepd, you install a second 10 mbit card in one of the machines that communicates (in relay or to a 10mb hub or what ever)to the rest of the network and everything is set.

i had a set up like this and duel ethernet cards are support from win 98 up as far as im aware. thought ive only tired this in xp and 2k pro

Er. Heh. And what does he do with the 3rd card Boston? 'Oops'. And he most certainly dosent need a router for god sake :). Sticking more than 1 nic in a machine can also be a nightmare, with windows not knowing which nic to use to get to each machine. Arf.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Ok my network is as follows
    I have
    1 x Amd tbird 1333 @ 1500 , 512 ram , 10meg lan connect
    1 x Amd Duron 900 @ 1100 , 512 ram , 10meg lan connect
    1 x Amd K62 266 @ 300 , 128 ram , 10meg lan connect

Lan is via a netgear 10 base-t hub (en108)

I only want to connect the two most powerful pcs together with gigabit , but I still want to keep the 10 meg connect between all 3 comps.

I also have some categoy 5 enhanced cable if that helps in any way :)

The gigabit cards are Intel PRO/1000 T Server adapter cards.If you need any more info plz ask :)

Thanks for your help

well he doesn't need a router for the third card, he puts it in one machine and he can either use cross over and connect it to another machine or normal cat 5 to bring it to a his hub.

as for windows getting confused, Xp is excellent for this, as its has specific functions for it. works a treat. win2k pro I haven't had a problem with it, but I can see it getting tricky with older os's could be a problem with Linux.

its not perfect and not how id preferred to set it up(bought myself a router) but it should work and save the expense of that gigabit switch. though a gigabit switch would be the "proper" solution imho.

Edit, having looked at your set up, this should work fine. give it a go, you have nothing to losse, you have all the equipment you need there(expect a second gig card) if it wroks you just saved yourself a bomb, if it doesnt post here again and we will try to figure out why.

what os are you runing btw

• Advertisement

Just a quick note, you cant use normal cat5 for gigabit. It has to be cat5e aka CATegory 5 Enhanched cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

but I can see it getting tricky with older os's could be a problem with Linux.

Its a doddle with linux, always has been Windows is the one that's always been behind the times with this one.

its not perfect and not how id preferred to set it up(bought myself a router)

You bought a router with a 1000bT port? Which model was it? Just seems like overkill for home use...

if you dont have that cable, maplins on jervis street have it.

I dont think they sell it off the shelfs so you will have to get it cut to size, and put the connectors on it yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

omg, stop it, he'll be more confused now then ever.

best thing to get is a 10/100 hub/switch (a switch is just an intelligent hub, bit more expensive).

Gigabit is not REALLY needed unless you're running a few servers.

You plug all three cables into the hub, the cards should autosense and use 100meg.

100mbit is 12 Megabytes a second, which is the speed of most older hard drives.

A router is used to connect networked computers to the internet generally.

A gigabit hub/switch costs ALOT.

Recommended Switch:

Netgear FS105 (5 port 10/100) Netgear FS108 (8 port 10/100)

Fiber is used in alot of cases where gigabit is concerned, to run at gigabit speeds, u'd need to make sure that any cable u installed was certified to run at gigabit speed, else you'd get noise problems.

Cat5/5e is fine for 10/100 and can go up to 100m as long as it's good quality

Originally posted by hudson806

Its a doddle with linux, always has been Windows is the one that's always been behind the times with this one.

You bought a router with a 1000bT port? Which model was it? Just seems like overkill for home use...

Ive read about people having problems connecting windows and linux system, that all i was refering to.

and no i didnt buy a router with 1 gig support i had this problem with a 100mb and a 10mb network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im not too sure exactly what you are trying to do, but its ounds as if you are just trying to speed up your network.
    why did you buy a router?
    if you got a switch instead of a router all your troubles would be far far away....

Originally posted by astrofool

best thing to get is a 10/100 hub/switch (a switch is just an intelligent hub, bit more expensive).

Gigabit is not REALLY needed unless you're running a few servers.

thats not answering the guys question, if hes not going to use the gig cards and stick with the 10mb one as you suggest then there is no need to get a 10/100 switch. (except the obvious reason)

But in fairness you do have a point, gig networks are not configured in this fashion. usualy you have on gig ehternet car in the server a 10/100 switch with one gig port. all the computers connect into to the 10/100 ports on the switch and the gig port is for the server.

this means that the server is seldom bottlenecked. its really hte only pratical use for the gig networks. and since servers oftne have scsi hard drives the hard drvies can keep up with the networks speed to a degree.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    im not too sure exactly what you are trying to do, but its ounds as if you are just trying to speed up your network.
    why did you buy a router?
    if you got a switch instead of a router all your troubles would be far far away....

sorry i didnt explain myself, i have a router with a built in switch.
    and as astrofool has allready stated, i use mine to connect to the net

Originally posted by Boston

Ive read about people having problems connecting windows and linux system, that all i was refering to.

Problems with connecting windows and linux normally stem from SMB sharing rather than TCP/IP, which is a doddle. Besides, he didn't say he was using a hybrid network, so why did you bring it up at all?

and no i didnt buy a router with 1 gig support i had this problem with a 100mb and a 10mb network.

Ahhh, so you bought a router with a built-in 10/100 switch. Its the fact that there's a switch in it that makes it useful Boston - not that its a router.

if he wants to use the gigabyte cards in systems, then he should use a switch. its as simple as that.
    its answering the question.

jesus christ boston, youa re really getting on my tits now with your fúcking pedantry.

will you stop correcting everyone and acting like a school teacher.
    and for gods sake, are you sitting at your pc waiting for a reply on every thread you ever posted to?

half the time you dont even know what you are talking about.

Originally posted by hudson806
    Ahhh, so you bought a router with a built-in 10/100 switch. Its the fact that there's a switch in it that makes it useful Boston - not that its a router.

well i use it to connect to the net, and the nat firewalling comes in handy. i only suggest the router before i understood exactly what he was doing. i agree a switch in this situation would be much more preferable over a router.

WhiteWashMan, my way will work and save him alot of moeny, its not prefect and as ive allready said to do it right he should use a switch. so i dont really know were the aggression is coming from, im not disagreeing with you

i dont think a hub will support duel speeds

Almost any 10/100 hub will do different speeds on different ports.
    But in fairness you do have a point, gig networks are not configured in this fashion. usualy you have on gig ehternet car in the server a 10/100 switch with one gig port. all the computers connect into to the 10/100 ports on the switch and the gig port is for the server.

Actually, unless you have a bizzarely tiny network with a single server with a bizzarely huge amount of traffic on it, its a pretty crappy way to use 1000bT, TBH. Backbone use between other 10/100/1000 switches is by far the most sensible way to use 1000bT.

its really hte only pratical use for the gig networks.

There are plently of practical uses for Gigabit Ethernet. That's not one of them.

will you stop correcting everyone and acting like a school teacher.
    and for gods sake, are you sitting at your pc waiting for a reply on every thread you ever posted to?.

this is what annoys me.
    you reply to every post and comment as if you are an expert on everything under the sun.
    and you are not.
    and yet you continue to correct people.
    to me, that is very annoying.

this is what annoys me.
    you reply to every post and comment as if you are an expert on everything under the sun.
    and you are not.
    and yet you continue to correct people.
    to me, that is very annoying.

sorry, i didnt mean to, just ive used the method before and i know it works.
    Actually, unless you have a bizzarely tiny network with a single server with a bizzarely huge amount of traffic on it, its a pretty crappy way to use 1000bT, TBH. Backbone use between other 10/100/1000 switches is by far the most sensible way to use 1000bT.

sorry explain this to me, why would having a switch with full 1gig support on all ports be better then a single port if the majority or pc connecting to it only had 100mb support.

If you had more then one server with gig ethernet cards in them that might be one thing. But small offices or even local school networks its probably a better idea, and cheaper

sorry explain this to me,

i didnt say it, so youd be better off asking whoever said to give you their version..

and dont be so bloody patronising. do you think im 12 years old?
    if you so with hot on netwokring, as you appear to claim, youd know exectly what is meant

• Advertisement

i was asking hudson806 not you, and im not a hot shot network admin never calmed to be either. im a novas, hudson806 is the expert here in this field not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Originally posted by Pokes
    Ok i dont know if this belongs here but its the best place i could find :/ Em I just got 3 intel 10/100/1000 network cards for free. I already have a 10meg network at home but its horrid slow for transferring large files.Is it possible to put a gigabit card in two of the more powerful pcs and using a crossover cable transfer large files across this while still keeping the 10meg network connection ? Any help at all would be great .. Thanks in advance

I can't believe how bad some people's advice is both misguided and incorrect.

Pokes, if you want to know how to do this properly drop me a mail - mindphuck@eircom.net.

Pokes, you really have 3 options:

1. (cheap, but nasty): put one 1000Mb card in each of two PCs and use cat 5e crossover cable to connect them. You'll probably need Win2k/Xp or linux to do this easily. Leave the 10Mb network in place.

2. (bit of outlay, clean): Buy a cheap 100Mb hub (maybe €70?), scrap the 10Mb network, and use the 3 1000Mb cards with the 100Mb hub. Cons: You'll have to have do with a 100Mb network.

3. (Expensive, pointless) Buy a 1000Mb switch

Myself, I'd probably go with option 2. Hope that's useful, sorry for all the spammy flaming in my earlier posts.
    If you had more then one server with gig ethernet cards in them that might be one thing. But small offices or even local school networks its probably a better idea, and cheaper

That's my point really: a small office or local school almost certainly has no need for 1000bT anywhere- in fact the traffic on such networks doesn't even require 10Mb connections in most cases.

Larger networks, on the other hand, often do require 1000Mb, and segregating the network into 10Mb, 100Mb and 1000Mb segments is usually the best way to do this.

Nice post hubson, alot of it is basically what i was trying to say. i guess its wasnt what i said but how i said it that was the problem.
    and segregating the network into 10Mb, 100Mb and 1000Mb segments is usually the best way to do this.

Could you explain how you would do this, im actually interested in hearing the right way of doing this. dont be afraid to go into detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

You get your gigabit switch and you connect each port on it to the single gigabit port on each of your 10/100 switches. So you end up with 10/100 to the user with a 1Gb backbone.

As for the original question, get a 10/100 switch and forget about 1Gb you don't need it.

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man
    You get your gigabit switch and you connect each port on it to the single gigabit port on each of your 10/100 switches. So you end up with 10/100 to the user with a 1Gb backbone.

thanks, question answered, i figured it was something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

:confused:

oh

my

dear

good

god

Advertisement