Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win98SE -> Win2000 Pro

• 19-04-2001 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

My PC is in need of a cleanout so I was going to format and re-install Win98SE, but while I'm at it I was wondering if it's be worth my while installing Win2000 Pro instead,

It's primarily for personal use but I do some work on it as well, what would be the advantages and disadvantages of such a move?

PIII 550, 64MB, 13GB
    (Plan on getting more RAM anyway)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jademan

It all depends to be honest!
    If you play games then probably not.
    Otherwise a big yes, but with 128mb ram recommended. Before going down that road made sure that all hardware is Win2k Compatible,check http://www.microsoft.com/hcl
    Your system would then be virtually crash free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

dont touch win2k pro with 64 sd ram, i might get flamed here but you need at least 196 if not 256

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i'v used 2000 pro, ok its a hell of alot better than NT4 but i prefer 98SE!

i just don't like those stupid lookin desktop icons! biggrin.gif

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

you know you can change them with ease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

win2k all the way baby.
    doesnt crash at all and makes all my favourite card games run with speed...

• Advertisement

On the memory side of things, it all depends what you what to do with Win2k. If you want to do almost everything then i would agree that it would be wise to go for 256mb as that is what i am currently using and i do a lot of s**t.

listen why dont you just dual boot and have both 98 and win2k pro, its what i do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

You don't even need to dual boot. If you have enough memory in win2k, you wont have any need for win9x anymore. You need at least 128 megs, if not 256. But memory is nice and cheap at the moment, and blade might still be selling some nice cheap 256 meg dimms..... look on the for sale board.

dual boot has great but is not a sub for memory

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

I'd say I'll go with pumping my memory up to 256MB, been meaning to do it for a while anyway,

What is the problem with games? The only one I'm playing at the moment is AOEII, would Win2K have a problem with that?

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ConUladh:
    I'd say I'll go with pumping my memory up to 256MB, been meaning to do it for a while anyway,

What is the problem with games? The only one I'm playing at the moment is AOEII, would Win2K have a problem with that?

Thanks for the help
    </font>

AOEII will work fine under Win2K, has for me anway.

Some older games do not support Win2k and only some game developers have released patches.

In general thought i believe all new games are fine. Especially if they are Directx 7&8

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

So it's only an issue with older games, I reckon I'll go with it so

http://www.gamearchives.com/

Check this out for win2k games!

Advertisement