Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You won't like this

Options
  • 01-04-2002 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Just a few things I want to have cleared up in my mind:

1: What is the big attraction to the Hives' song "Hate to say i told you so"? Why is it so good? Why is it good at all for that matter? Saw a video of theirs (video was **** by the way) on No Disco and it sounded very samey. How surprising. The words "untalented gits" come to mind.

2: Josh Ritter - is he just an MC who stumbled across a guitar instead of the mic? Honest - in any songs I've heard him sing his vocal lines are so monotonous it's not funny, he sings the same note through a sentence, occasionally varying it at the end of the sentence or musical phrase. So, what's the big attraction?

3: Jimmy Eat World.. No I'm not going to even start on this one.. It seems like everyone I meet who knows jimmy eat world love them. I don't get it. Is there anyone out there who hates them? At all?

*shrugs* Say what you will, these are just my opinions, I just can't understand the current trends in musical taste...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

well, i can second you there on Josh ritter (he's a wee bit boring, just a little) and jimmyeatworld, don't like them either but i do like the hives(quick and short inyerface punk songs - fantastic)....

a band i dont like is the strokes (how was the gig btw), i jusst think they is soooooo unoriginal....

and whats with nikelback. fair enof that song they released is catchy but doesnt it seem to be about 7 yearrs late??

oh well...at least people are turning towards music made and played by musicians as opposed to 'mime along to backing track' artists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Hate to say I told you so reminds me so much of Debaser by the Pixies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

hum... i like josh ritter actually. he's not the greatest of all vocalists alright but he creates a beautiful atmosphere, summer, guitars, long straight roads, nightswims, nights out on the backporch... night music, and beautifully executed, too. makes me feel homesick in the loveliest way... :) don't quite see the point about the strokes myself, they seem a bit overrated and albert hammond jr apparently once had an affair with a dreadful german child prodigy soprano when he was still in school (i read it in some cheap german gossip mag back then when he was only the son of albert hammond sr. anyhow). the hives? well, fun, but i can't take them in large bites so to speak... now if it was the white stripes... :D jimmy eat world have a sort of ben folds effect on me - cool if you're about 20, enjoyable only in very small doses if you're above the age of 25...

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by yellum
    Hate to say I told you so reminds me so much of Debaser by the Pixies.

Except Debaser is a classic and well... Hate to Say isnt :]
    Abstract Plain is an great song too

And the reason people like Jimmy Eat World is because theyre good, see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

i've no interest in most of the rock rockin the US at the moment
    but the two songs i've heard from Jimmy eats are class

when i first saw the hives on jools holland a while back, i thought they were pretty good but, yes, a bit samey and maybe a bit
    simple. I wouldn't be surprised if many of its owners become sick of the album by the end of the year.

josh ritter, i checked a few sounds on his web site, no impact
    for me.

dunno if any knows josh rouse but i checked out his album and
    its pretty good. another name for you all to note

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 raven_jezebel

speaking of bands you can't stand........

I can't stand the Revs!!!!!!!!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I can't stand the Revs!!!!!!!!!!

and those of us wantin to be up near the front for the hives at dublin castles are gonna have to endure them...oh jeebus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 raven_jezebel

Originally posted by Kurdt

and those of us wantin to be up near the front for the hives at dublin castles are gonna have to endure them...oh jeebus...

phhhhh, i feel your pain, i really really really do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i completely agree bout the hives... i dont like em at all

josh ritter, what i've heard i'm a bit in betweeny on but my friends say he is brilliant live so???

i do like jimmy eat world though... so catchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

RITTER:
    i've seen josh a few times, and he is a brilliant live performer, very warm, very funny and very likeable. i got the cd shortly aftrwards and to be honest, its just not as good as him live, and doesn't do him justice at all. he does have some nice melodies though and his songs are gentle and subtle.... but if you've the chance catch him live!

HIVES:
    power pop rock.. but its important to remember they'r pop rock, a more accessable rock, to appeal to a larger public, so while they're fun and don't take themselves to seriously, they can sound bland...

JIMMYEATWORLD
    some good stuff, and some total shyte...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"a band i dont like is the strokes (how was the gig btw), i jusst think they is soooooo unoriginal...."

Right so you don't thinkn the Strokes are original enough, that's fair enough but you think the Hives are? Are you mad?

yeah, i've had this conversation with so many people already...

i prob like the hives and not the strokes coz the hives were out b4 them...

tis hard to explain...ya know, sometimes ya like one band and not like another band even though they play the same sort of music...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

don't know enough of j ritter to comment but yes the hives are alright but only in small doses, have got their compilaton album your New Favourite Band and considering its the best off their prev two albums its pretty dissappointing, monotonous is pretty apt which is annoying coz i bought tickets to see them on the 5th

as for jimmy eat world, jimmy blow goats. what a terrible band. i don't like 'em they're shyte,dull unoriginal crap

And The Revs, I hate them more. just plain bad music. I don't care how enthusiastic they are theyr'e still shyte just like those twits JJ72.

As I'm on a rant I hate all of the following:

Muse (cue loyal muse support anger on this board)
    Nickleback
    Turn
    La Rocca
    Bell X1 (cue support for new irish music diatribe)
    POD
    Alien Ant Farm
    Colm Querny
    Greg
    City High

not to be entirely negative i think its a great time for music and thery're are more albums in tower and road that i want to buy then i can shake a stick at let alone afford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Yeah, i totally agree, although I like Muse and Bell X1 a lot myself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I sort of agree,

The Hives: I cannot get enough of em!

Jimmyeatworld: 2 decent songs, rest are s***

Josh Ritter: Total crap:mad:

LONG LIVE THE FOO FIGHTERS!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

Jimmy Eat World are a great band, I don't give a **** what you think.
    So there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Originally posted by Kurdt
    tis hard to explain...ya know, sometimes ya like one band and not like another band even though they play the same sort of music...

hard to explain good title for a song that:D

Advertisement