Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strokes gig

Options
  • 01-04-2002 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

did anyone else think they were a bit pretentious?

dont take me up wrong... i bought their album, paid for a ticket... i like their music but i'm not sure if i like them?

it was a good laugh though

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

well i didn't buy their album, i didn't buy a ticket, i didn't see them and i don't like them....

saw them at a gig on the tele and i see where yer coming from polar...

but maybe i'm just biased against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭The Evil Monkey

i think they r some of the nicest guys! i met them at the end of the show (well three of them) the only thing i didn't like was when Julian didn't come out at the end, he knew we were waiting but he just wasn't bothered, i feel. the rest of them were cool though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i'm not sure if i was referring to them personally (i've never met them)
    but they just came across as very:
    lets wreck the place rock'n'roll style but didnt have any rock'n'roll style

i'm just a bit disappointed in the gig i guess

also the guitarist spitting on the singer... that wasnt funny or rock'n'roll that was what little scumbag kids do to amuse themselves...

still i'm unsure what i feel bout the whole night

stereo total were interesting

i didn't like stereo total, longwave were really good though and they're really nice in person too.
    plus the only reason he was spitting at the singer was coz the singer hit him on the head with the mike stand. but i'm sure it was an accident...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jonny

i agree slightly.
    it makes me wonder, is it really neccessary to throw your equipment around etc, and then i'm wondering, is it orchestrated. and then i think, well, theyre young, maybe they don't know any better. but all in all, they had energy and a good drum beat, but lacked substance and so try to fill the gap by being "crazy"

i did however have a fantastic time, but thats a whole other story,

one thing i didn't understand was y was every1 shouting REM after the gig?

• Advertisement

jonny

it makes me wonder, is it really neccessary to throw your equipment around etc, and then i'm wondering, is it orchestrated. and then i think, well, theyre young, maybe they don't know any better. but all in all, they had energy and a good drum beat, but lacked substance and so try to fill the gap by being "crazy"

the nail on the head... kinda a wee bit confusing... makes the mind boggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

I thought it was great.

If they are a bit pretentious it's understandable with all the hype, instant success and excessive adoration they've been getting. You know you'd do the same if it happened to you though, it'd be hard not to let it go to your head. But to be honest I couldn't give a **** about their personalities.

Rock n' roll, man...wooo, yeah...

monkey, thats the first time i've seen you say anything good on this board funny... when i say good i mean positive... saying you liked something

and yeah perhaps fame would get to ones head but not so much that one could spit at someone else in your band

but it was all a joke so no one cared! ur acting like he spat at u, if the two of them didn't mind then why does it matter?
    and ppl were yelling REM after the gig coz one of the guys from REM was sitting in the balconey. i can't remember which one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

They had drink taken, I'll bet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

I've met them and well they seemed alright... the drummer is cool
    i talked to him the most... but julian is very pretencious.

the drummer was ultra quiet...... but although i'm not exactly a fan i thought they seemed to be nice except for julian......

but again this hype... i mean they really are just mediocre.....
    and anyways i never understood the hype over that band Television they seemed quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I was on Dame St about 11 ish and theres was loads of blue flashin lights outside olympia Thought it looked like summat was kickin off.....??? any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I think Julian was too drunk to come out at the end, he could barley talk on stage and standing up straight seemed like a struggle to him, since he fell right off stage twice. But Albert the guitarist did come out after the gig and signed everyones ticket and the drummer came out after that and signed a few more. I came out pretty late so i dont know who came out before that.

I had a brillant night, i dont care if Julian didn't come out even though everyone wanted him too, i think they played a brillant gig and thats all that matted to me.

Longwave are the nicest bunch of people, they gave me a free
    t-shirt and signed my ticket, and Steve was talking to us for ages.

I thought Stero Total were brillant, it was real funny when the black guy came out and started to dance with them, he could really shake his ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I enjoyed the gig although i was a bit pissed off i didnt get in the pit...it was half empty! The support were great!! Stereo total were so funny that guy is CRAZY! The strokes were great... although I was surrounded by a big bunch of assholes in the crowd.... got pushed right to the back.. Grrrrrr Julian was pissed alright but looked fabulous as did the rest of the boys... (ok im shallow):D And nice merchandise! The little patch pack is very cool!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

the strokes have always struck me as a band that are much more about style than substance.... this thread seems to confirm that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Calico

I have to say I thought the Strokes would have been a lot better. But Stereo Total really stole the show. They were the most entertaining thing on that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

i read in the independant there bout a month ago an artical bout the strokes...
    It sed that half the band were like chronic alcoholics and drug addicts and have bn in rehab and ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by biZrb
    I think Julian was too drunk to come out at the end, he could barley talk on stage and standing up straight seemed like a struggle to him, since he fell right off stage twice.

the funniest thing i have ever seen on stage (apart from one of the member's of ash weeing on themselves) was phil kay downing nearly a whole bottle of whiskey and then getting so drunk he fell of his seat, he stood up, and took his trousers off and wandered around the stage until he fell down again and his girlfriend had to dress him and someone take him offstage
    he wasnt wearing any underwear....

yeah i agree with atonal completely the strokes dont strike me as having any interesting musical input into society, but on saying that i have only hear that woeful song last night so i cant really work an opinion based on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 the dude

i was holding back judgement til i saw them live. yep up his own ass. i dont think theyre rock'n'roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I think The Strokes are a great band that have a brillant album and play an excellent live gig but i think there is definitly too much hype about them. There is so many bands out there that are as good as if not better than The Strokes that get no mention at all in the media. What have The Strokes got that causes all this hype, coz i can't see it.
    Another thing i thought was funny was when Julian picked up an amp at the front of the stage and kinda stuggled, i think he tought it was lighter than he realised, and failed to do anything with it but throw in in a way that looked like he dropped it. He couldnt've made himself more stupid or drunk even if he tried.
    That really funny about Phil Kay from Ash :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

mike mills was up on the balcony thats why REM was being shouted at the end.
    Stereo total were fun (for all of 1 min)
    Really liked longwave but is it just me or is the whole, guitar floppy fringe NY thang getting a tad outta control now.
    The strokes were still pretty cool though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

Originally posted by s8n
    mike mills was up on the balcony thats why REM was being shouted at the end.

update of my personal missing mike diary:

29/04/2001, london: bumped into him on the sidewalk, was too shy to say hi and therefore told myself it couldn't be him
    27/03/2002, whelan's: left venue about five minutes before he came down for a drink, allegedly, knowing i'd miss him this way but keeling over with need of sleep
    01/04/2002, strokes gig: not really into them, so didn't bother to go...

i'm getting good at this... :tired:

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jonny

atlantasuburb: you poor poor person, 'm sure you'll get your chance, supposedly he's a really down-to-earth type of guy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭freakofnature

glad some ppl r finally catching on that the strokes ARE EVIL AND ARE TRYING TO CONTROL OUR MINGDS (did ne 1 see the last nite video? what was with the flashy shots in between?). Although, nice to see u all are waking up and smelling the gone off coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

Originally posted by freakofnature
    glad some ppl r finally catching on that the strokes ARE EVIL AND ARE TRYING TO CONTROL OUR MINGDS (did ne 1 see the last nite video? what was with the flashy shots in between?). Although, nice to see u all are waking up and smelling the gone off coffee.

i still like the strokes, although i wasn't at the gig bcos i had no money (going to see godspeed you black emperor made me broke). but it's all a matter of opinion, though, isn't it (although if someone's opinion comes from someone who *still* likes placebo, it's somewhat laughable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

Originally posted by jonny
    atlantasuburb: you poor poor person, 'm sure you'll get your chance, supposedly he's a really down-to-earth type of guy:)

he is... :) they all are! that's why i'm beginning to feel like the only r.e.m. fan on earth who hasn't had the personal pleasure with any of them yet! :mad: i'm just sad i guess but after nearly 16 years of unfaltering devotion i realy feel i've acquired a sort of natural right to this... *lol*

:-)

oneArpeggiopete:cool:

Advertisement