Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helter Shelter......

Options
  • 01-04-2002 4:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Once again I attended 'heltershelter' tonight and was blown away, finally someone in dublin can run a 'CLUB' successfully and make everyone feel like their presence is appreciated , as opposed to the 'arses in door policy' of many cheap imitations we have had to put up with in the past.
    Music was up to the expected excellent unpredictable standard and pissed and all as I am, I will sleep soundly tonight knowing the alternative 'SCENE' is in safe and trustworthy hands.
    I will never set foot in whelans again................

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

yeah i have to agree it was much more roomy and alot easier to find a seat.
    but €10 was a bit steep for poor folk like myself

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

where is this mecca of good clubiness?? whelans is getting right on my tits!! too stuffy and hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 raven_jezebel

any club is gonna be stuffy and hot (unless it's on the verge of bankruptcy)

if you don't like hot and stuffy....stay in the pubs, i do! and it's much more craic there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 blondi

I found the drink a bit pricey, but , a tenner in euros is only about £7 in 'old money' and i found a real 'CLUB' atmosphere there , signed their mailing list, and got info about the 'other' station (107.9). although the'yre not broadcsating at the moment ?? (at the time of writing this with the mother of hangovers/hashovers)
    I'll wait and see if their emailing requests idea works for the next one because i guess i'll be there.
    I got pissed and got a snog too ! so i'm happy enough for the moment...reminded me of a 'london' club.

yeah its just i don't work so any money i have to spend is money i don't really have,... if ya get me......

Yeah it was easier to walk around...... and it just seemed to be a well organized club night......
    maybe they might start a drinks promotion

• Advertisement

Yeah i know what you mean, I don't work either, but i felt i got a lot for my tenner, but a drinks promo would be nice ?
    did u sign the mailing list ? i'm going to email them about the possibility of opening up this little avenue of pleasure, or i'll have to activate the 'hip flask' again before the next one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

where is it?
    name some tunes they played, if you can remember

heltershelter
    in the 'shelter' club beside vicar st. the area's a bit 'iffy' but its only on monthly or something for the moment, found their site on google by entering 'heltershelter' cool links to phantom and xfm etc.
    played the fall, stranglers, magazine, buzzcocks, smiths and all that but not ur usual songs, except for 'teenage kicks' of course , but that turns up everwhere dosen't it ? would have liked some other undertones and perhaps some tubeway army , or wire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

that petrol emotion
    the strokes
    rem
    AN EMOTIONAL FISH
    happy mondays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

for all of you who were at helter shelter last night
    i was the bitch in the box office who took your money
    danann from mtv called me short (and paid in!he wasnt on the guestlist, wow)
    and ragamuffin...i saved your neck last night
    last night there was more than the usual amount of dodgy people around thomas street
    while you guys were all in the club, in the front bar, 3 girls came leggin it in coz one of the girl's ex's was chasin her with a knife, i think and a bar, and we had to call the police (though they did SO much good) and then later on, at about 4am, when we'd closed up the shelter and were sittin around having a chat, we nearly
    had to call the police again coz this guy kept banging on the front door to get us to let him in and give him a drink...yeah right!

• Advertisement

yeah thanks drowner........
    god i dunno.... i don't really like thomas st. late at night...... or anywhere in dublin for that matter....

yeah the smiths yey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

while you guys were all in the club, in the front bar, 3 girls came leggin it in coz one of the girl's ex's was chasin her with a knife
    sounds even better outside!!! must actually go next time and geet soome bleedin gear needled in..****an brillo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

yeah, i felt like hugging the dj after he played the queen is dead by the smiths
    that and the fact that he bought us all a round of drinks
    the music was cool, though some of the dancier tunes werent one's i liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by blondi
    the 'other' station (107.9). although the'yre not broadcsating at the moment ??

Do you mean at the moment as in 'this very moment' or in general? Coz they're still broadcasting every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

If youre having trouble picking up XFM on 107.9, its generally coz of a horrible bleepy noise that NTL put out on cable (and not some obscure electronica being played by X wha!). Try moving your aerial around and that should null out the NTL noise and bring in the XFM variety. Failing that you can listen to them via their website at XFM Online. Theyre on every night, but also worth a listen for some of the repeats early in the morning.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

CHECK OUT THEIR WEBSITE FOR MORE INFORMATION

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 the dude

i take it then mr reed that u have ur hand in the xfm cookie jar too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 angelinaXFM

Originally posted by thedrowner
    yeah, i felt like hugging the dj after he played the queen is dead by the smiths

sorry... it was actually a SHE that played the queen is dead, twas me :)

glad you enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Nope Dude,

Ive no involvement in XFM at all. Just like what they do and can mildly tolerate that Daithi1 character ;-).

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

Advertisement