Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmetered Internet Access??. How much shouldly a"FAIR" Monthly fee BE SET AT??.

Options
  • 01-04-2002 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

If and when .

A Unmetered online Internet access service is made available.

How much would you consider a "Fair flat-rate fixed monthly fee"
    - As acceptable?. How much are you prepared too pay?.

Plus, would you consider a sliding scale of different "means tested" charges a reasonable suggestion?.

Yours,paddy20.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

i would pay 18 quid a month for 24/7 unlimited access using a isdn connection, oh wait thats what I pay and get anyway, good auld btopenworld :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I suppose Id pay up to 20 per month for full flat rate if there was no broadband solution available.

Originally posted by paddy20
    Plus, would you consider a sliding scale of different "means tested" charges a reasonable suggestion?.

No. You pay for a company for a service and you either pay what they want or dont pay it. A telco is not a charity. If the government wish to subsidise it then thats allright. For example, you dont pay any less rent to your landlord each month, You get rent allowance if you qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by paddy20

Yours,paddy20.
    Absolutely not. The government should give the disabled a decent allowance-the recipients can then decide how to spend it themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Theres what I'd consider fair: 30-40 Euro and what I'd be willing to pay which would be around 70 Euro per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

This topic has been discussed to death on the IrelandOFFLine forum and it's not actually completely relevant here.

Sorry, Paddy20, but a thread of yours is being moved... again.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Jelvon
    i would pay 18 quid a month for 24/7 unlimited access using a isdn connection, oh wait thats what I pay and get anyway, good auld btopenworld :D

You are Satan.

How can you taunt us poor souls in The Freestate like that ?

If IrelandOffline are meant to be campaigning for flat rate access, I thought they'd be interested in reading peoples views on what price people would think fair.

Here we go again. Bards grudge against a poster he doesn't like. Whether Paddy20 posts something relevant and on-topic or not it will probably get sent to the Recycle bin or moved somewhere else.

Bard: You said in an earlier thread which you locked and sent to the recycle bin that the mods were "benevolent dictators". http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46458 This may be the case for the boards owners who pay for boards to keep going and for the people they appoint, but you represent IrelandOffline too, which is not a dictatorship but an organisation of 1000 plus people who democratically voted in most of the committee. As a supporter of IrelandOffline I don't appreciate you infering that IrelandOffline is a dictatorship.

Its not a private club where you can do what you like. I think like in the earlier thread that you locked and sent to the recyclebin, people should have the ability to make a complaint against and ask for public opinion on a moderator, or do you not answer to anyone ?

Paddy20 is a troll mostly, but you should have the maturity and patience to react to him in a non-hotheaded manner. Your reactions reflect badly on the other mods here on Boards and on the IrelandOffline committee that trusted you to keep order.

Originally posted by yellum
    As a supporter of IrelandOffline I don't appreciate you infering that IrelandOffline is a dictatorship.

I never once inferred that IrelandOFFLine is a dictatorship.

I said that the forums, including the IrelandOFFLine forum, are akin to a benevolent dictatorship.

It's becoming more and more apparent that the IOFFL forum is little or no reflection on the organisation itself and is becoming more and more removed from the reality of IrelandOFFLine. Expect major changes ... soon.
    do you not answer to anyone ?

I do... but it isn't you.

and I quote:

taken from the thread where you mention dictators..
    Originally posted by Bard

2. You say: "This is supposed to be a "democracy" where every - Adult - Has the right too VOTE." - well sorry to burst your bubble, Paddy, but the boards are NOT a democracy. The moderators and administrators are here more-or-less as benevolent dictators. They're in charge, and you're not simply free to post and say anything you feel like. There are rules here. If you don't like it, nobody's forcing you to post here.

The irelandOffline forum is linked directly from the irelandOffline website, people will more than likely assume that the IrelandOffline forum moderated by yourself and dahamsta reflects irelandOffline, being called the IrelandOffline forum and all and having posts and information from the committee in it.

So when a first time visitor sees the above quote with you reusing DeVores words "benevolent dictators" how do you think they're going to react ?

Thats where my problem lies. When you slap someone down in a public forum you should think about the implications of the words that you use as you are acting as a representative of irelandOffline.

I also have a problem in that you lock or delete threads far too quickly such as that athlone linking to irelandOffline thread, where someone was offering support and further spreading of the word. Yes the thread got bitchy after that, but one can see why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It won't matter a sh1te in a few days yellum, so let it be, eh?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

Are you a friend of mine? Everybody says you are...

Thing is, IF you are, can I have a lend of €50 till Friday cos I am REAL SHORT :(

Aol in the UK charge about £14 Sterling which is less than €20 (I think) I honestly do not see why we should have to pay more than that for 56kbps.

However, I would be PREPARED to pay €40 or €50...sad innit?

And you guys ARE carrying on as though you have some serious control issues. Any time I post here (I used to use "Concepts" but I forgot the password and I have changed all my email addies) which is not often, I get decended on and battered, to an extent, WHATEVER I post.

Now that has all got to do with control issues, dysfunctional group dynamics and low self esteem, at a guess I'd say it is ENTIRELY JUSTIFIED PTSD from the level of covert emotional blackmail and abuse in last years "There are limits to no limits" letter from Esat which was worthy of my mother.

Which is SAYING SOMETHING.

However if you want to fight and win you have to become a strong lobby, if you want to become a strong lobby you need supporters, if you want supporters you have to try not to beat the bejaysus outa every new person who shows up and genuinelly does not realise you are Gods.

Mechanima (who isn't a girl according to yellum *chuckles*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

Originally posted by dahamsta
    It won't matter a sh1te in a few days yellum, so let it be, eh?

adam
    Care to tell us all why?:confused:

Manic

PS Round's 1 and 2 go to yellum in the Yellow Corner :p

I know Adam, but I'm just in one of those set my people free moods. (Looked at that gathering card and it doesn't actually match what I mean.)

I'm really looking forward to it btw. Sterling job. :)

damien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

€50 for uncapped ADSL.....

€30 unmetered dial-up with a monthly 5GB cap... or €50 with no cap.....

Originally posted by Manic

Care to tell us all why?:confused:

Manic

No, not really... :p ... it'll all be revealed soon, - don't worry about it... :) Let's just say that changes are 'afoot'.

PS Round's 1 and 2 go to yellum in the Yellow Corner :p

There's no rounds as there's no fight.

Yellum is entitled to his opinion. I just happen to think he's wasting his breath, especially as it's obvious to far more than just me that the IOFFL forum couldn't be further from being a true reflection on IOFFL itself. This is part of why changes are afoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

The aforementioned changes. mentioned by both Bard and Dahamsta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

HOLD on, is paddy suggesting that 'someone from the government' should assess what level i should pay....jesus, what commie/nazi crap is this...NO. Paddy if you are older then 20 you will have the horror that was Ireland in the 70's...FFS!

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH CHAOS-ENGINE!!! You hit it on the button my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Your new fall, but soon youll realise that Paddy20 has his own agendas and hes not afraid to air them:/

What does "Fallschirmjager" actually MEAN?

Is it to do with saving onions? My German is REALLY escaping me and I didn't have much before it finished the escape tunnel...

THIS IS BUGGING ME

Mechanima

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by mechanima
    What does "Fallschirmjager" actually MEAN?
    Paratroop/parachutist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i hope it means that LOL and nothing to do with ONIONS!!!!

Well a "Bildschirm" is a screen saver, from root "Bilder = Picture"

And I am SURE "Jager" is onion? Or is that "Jäger" and a totally different word?

Of course, German can be a BIT odd and it IS possible they call a "screensaver" a "pictureparachute" and if I got really drunk I would find a way to relate to that I am sure.

"Fall" is a "case"...

OH I NEED STRONG DRINK!!!

Mechanima

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by mechanima
    Well a "Bildschirm" is a screen saver, from root "Bilder = Picture"

And I am SURE "Jager" is onion? Or is that "Jäger" and a totally different word?
    "Jäger" means "hunter". "Zweibel" means "onion". I'm not sure what "schirm" means.

YES!!

Sorry, I am now awarding you a special leaving cert in German...

OF COURSE "Jäger" means "hunter". "Zweibel" means "onion".

I KNEW DAT!! Honest...

I have a feeling my confusion comes from inept familiarity with Bernese Schweisser Deutsch which is like Geordie English spoken with a thick Kerry accent...and a mouthfull of pebbles.

I have a FEELING that in some culinary context "Jägertee" or some such means an onion broth...or something...

Mechanima

Advertisement