Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of Windows XP (Whistler) & Office XP (Beta2)

• 18-04-2001 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Just got my hand on a copy the other day, does not seem to flaky, but activation over the internet?? Will Microsoft get away with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Where did you aquire this? I wouldn't mind evaluating it myself. Mail me if you'd rather not reply here.

Jimmy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

how r u using it with the activation thingy.

you got an 'official' copy??

- Ciaran
    smoke-me-a-kipper
    S-M-A-K bottom!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jademan

Got a piece of software that is supposted to get by the activation on Windows XP (have not fully tested it) and i have not got anything like that for office yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Can't remember the company (big one? Xerox?) but XP took out every machine in all thier offices when it was installed on a couple of machines. It is now banned from being installed in thier company.

Personally I don't like what XP plans for the future, so I refuse to use it.

I read about that myself, but to be honest there does not seem to be any major advantage to ugrading from Windows 2000 unless of course you have Windows Me, then it would be a very good idea, as long as you have a system that can accamodate it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Hankster

I tried upgrading my system from Windows 2000 to XP, it stunk to high heaven. Absolutely no joy.

I know you're not supposed to test drive beta software on your main system, but surely Microsoft would provide a better upgrade path from their current "premier" O/S?

Well all i can say is that good on the 'shaft for aiming for such high goals i.e. integrating '9x & '2k platforms together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

i have the full retail version of office xp and ill have ee soon enough,
    and before im flamed its allready released in the us all be it restricted

Cool! how can i get me hand on a copy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I've installed one of the first beta's of Whistler when it came out and it stank to high heaven. It is a continuation of Microsoft's computing for dimwit's philisophy. Got my hands on one of the later releases but have resisted the urge to install it. Office XP on the other hand kicks ass, try running it on a system with IE6 installed and you'll love it!

• Advertisement

windows xp final will be out arounds july in the us and december-january here, personnaly im not getting it as my experience with winme has thought me not to get any of this crap, win2k pro is much better

you are spot on about WinMe, that is why i am interested in Windows XP i.e. will they screw up Win2k---> as well!

o then you didnt hear, they are trying to get rid of mp3s by giving a sub standard mp3 player with win xp, the idea is people will think mp3s sound crap and wont download them while mpeg and mpg will sound perfect

No surprise there, just like the adaptec eacy cd "patch" for Media Player 7. Install it and it screws Easy CD Creator!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

We've been beta testing XP since it's Beta1 and I dislike it alot. You need at least 256 megs of RAM for any type of normal operation and it doesn't have any huge advantage over 2k. M$ are putting together their biggest advertising drive ever for XP and want it on every home PC. I can see problems ahead.

.logic.

Good idea of not ('shaft merging '9x with win2k). I reckon there are major problems ahead as well! Imagine upgrading from '98 or 'Me. I have not tried this myself but God help anyone that tries!

Plus the fact that you currently require the guts of a 1.2+ gigs fresh install. If you have 128mb of ram installed it will use just under 80mb of that as well. So for the user coming from '98 they need a new pc unless they have purchased one within the last year or so!

After ALL that, taken from silicon.com today

Thursday 19th April 2001 3:27pm

Microsoft's pro-MP3 defence

Microsoft has declared its support for the MP3 format in reaction to media criticism of the limited functionality of its XP operating system.

Last week, numerous publications, among them the Wall Street Journal, condemned the fact that XP supports only limited use of MP3 files.

However, a Microsoft spokesman today said that millions of users have large music file collections at their disposal and use MP3s intensively, and that Microsoft is therefore committed to the standard.

For related news, see:
    Microsoft and IBM squabble over standards
    www.silicon.com/a43885
    The Microsoft paperclip: it's silicon wot killed it
    www.silicon.com/a43860

By Holger Winkelsträter, www.silicon.de

The Register Tries WinXP

The Register's John Lettice has decided to try out Windows XP Beta 2 and rely his trials and tribulations in a daily OS journal.

http://www.betanews.com/article.php3?sid=987764932

Advertisement