Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apache Webserver.

Options
  • 01-04-2002 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've tried downloading this and installing it so i could edit a bbbulltin board offline, but i just can't get it installed right.

I've tried to downloading it twice from 2 different locations. The first one the installer wouldn't work and the 2nd needed a compiler and such, which i didn't have a clue about. So can someone gimme a working link to it and how to actually install it. Talking step by step here :) not familiar with this sort of thing.

Thanks,
    Alo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

What OS are you running ? Make sure you download the apache binaries and not the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Win 98

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

as yellum said, and it is important to emphasise this point, if you dont want to have to compile the server, or dont know how to, make sure to download the binary version and not the source.

http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/apache_1.3.23-win32-x86-no_src.exe This is a link to the current stable windows feature and it should have all the features you need and want. The file you downloaded where the installer wouldnt work probably had a .msi extension, this means you need a special microsoft installer program, its possible you dont already have it, and the link is also on the apache website http://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/wininst/1.1/W9X/EN-US/InstMsi.exe thats the link there too.

That should be everything you need, it might be worth your while actually downloading the microsoft installer, because I think programs distributed through that format have smaller downloads, which is always nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

You could always try phptriad. it has always installed grand for me and everything ya could possibly want is set up already for ya. It isnt as secure as the apache you'd set up yourself i'd say but its pefect just for testing scripts and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you have a look at the servers section on HotScripts you should be able to find a working Apache/MySQL/PHP combination, or a variation on that.
    I grabbed one last year which works fine - though Windows doesn't, but that has nothing to do with the distro itself - it's just windows being dumb:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Also, as I have apache running on my Win98, it might be seriously difficult to edit your boards offline. If they're on a UNIX(or equiv) server, your apache won't be able to find the interpreter for perl (or whatever the scripts are written in), due to the first line on the scripts. Although you probably know this already :)

Advertisement