Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop/Rap Albums Opinions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I'd say he was thinking $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

NWA are not banned in ireland. Getting their CD's are difficult because their an old group, but not impossible.

Sure, if thats the case, why is virgin selling the NWA 25th Anniversary cover cd ?

Anyway, go to amazon.com, order, sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

25th anniversary? wtf?

Its a set of cover songs for the NWA albumn, NWA. Its done by todays 'cool' rappers, same songs, styled and sang differently.

I can't remember why its called 25th anni at the moment (its my old bones, memory aint as good as it used to be :))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I was trying to work out when Straight Outta Compton came out and I thought id aged 10 years over night :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

I was wondering when someone would mention Straight Outta Compton - IMHO the best of all the "gangster" rap albums. Love also side 1 of Eazy-E's "Ez Duz It". Side 2 is weak tho.

Q

Originally posted by 2040

mindphucks list is the worst list ive seen :P

My list owns j00 ass!

Its very simple - When LL Cool J Sings 'IM BAD' and when <insert new style f4g0t rap singer here> sings 'IM BAD'....
    Who the hell are you gonna believe is really BAD ??

Anyway, yes, worst list ever, but, hey, I was listening to rap when you kids were in nappies.... ppffffttt.. sooo there!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

Originally posted by MindPhuck
    NWA are not banned in ireland. Getting their CD's are difficult because their an old group, but not impossible.

Sure, if thats the case, why is virgin selling the NWA 25th Anniversary cover cd ?

Anyway, go to amazon.com, order, sorted.

I said they were banned when I was a kid when my cousin brought the tapes over from the states about 10/12 years ago. They got banned for 7 or 10 years and then they reviewed again so the ban must have been lifted.

no no no.

You mean they had an age rating. ie, over 12's or something. Theres a difference to them getting banned. If they were banned, it means you cannot purchase them. And I sure purchased them and subsequent albumns since about 87ish +.

However, you could be right and I was lucky to be able to buy them. Though, at the time, I cant remember having any difficulties getting my hands on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

maybe i'm wrong I was about 9 in 87 so I beleiveed anything I was told :) :cheeky:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

NWA are not 25 years old.They kind of started off back around 1982 when Dre and some of the rest formed the World Class Wreckin Crew.They later became NWA and probably gained and lost a few members.Straight Outta Compton is from around 85/86 i think.
    On the subject of a NWA ban,the UK authorities tried to ban them in th early 90s under obscenity laws but failed.Perhaps this had something to do with the confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Anyway, yes, worst list ever, but, hey, I was listening to rap when you kids were in nappies.... ppffffttt.. sooo there!

respect

Originally posted by The Gopher
    NWA are not 25 years old.

Its an album called - 25th Anniversery, their not 25 years old.

1982 when Dre and some of the rest formed the World Class Wreckin Crew.

They didnt form NWA.

NWA was formed when Easy-E tried to sell some records to the Ruthless label and when they refused them, he formed NWA. (Niggaz With Attitude). Dre left WCRC to be part of NWA. Himself and DJ Yella were the only members of WCR to be in NWA. The band was formed in '86. (Dr.Dre, Ice Cube, Easy E, Arabian Prince, DJ Yella and MC Ren)

NWA's first album was called N.W.A and the Posse ('87). It was only when MC Ren joined NWA did they become popular and in '88 they released Straight Outta Compton. In '91 the band was pretty much fubared after a serious fall out between Ice Cube, Easy-E and the bands managment.

Dre left NWA to form a record company called Death Row Records in '92. Easy-E died in '95 from AIDS.

At the end of the day, NWA made gansta rap for what it is today and completely founded the rap/hip hop era of the 90's.

I don't know alot about the new rappers of today, but I know my stuff from the foundations of early Rap.

At the end of the day, NWA made gansta rap for what it is today and completely founded the rap/hip hop era of the 90's.

Completely founded the rap/hip hop era of the 90's eh?
    Public Enemy had nothing to do with it at all then no? Or Run DMC?
    I would have thought also that Afrika Bambaattaa and Stetsasonic might have had a bit of an impact on hip hop.

On another point I was in Tower today and I was looking at The Cold Vein and it was like €26 or something. The Company Flow ones (I think there was 2 I cant remember) were about the same and the Aesop Rock one was €28 I think. I mean I cant afford to pay that much on one cd.
    It's the same in HMV when it comes to The Roots Cds they are like €26 too. I did however get Do You Want More in Tower for €14.59, I was pleased with that.
    I got Jazzmatazz Vol. 2 in HMV for only €12.99.
    I also noticed there is a new Herbaliser album out, but I didnt really have a look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 stresslemania

Originally posted by Makaveli
    On another point I was in Tower today and I was looking at The Cold Vein and it was like €26 or something. The Company Flow ones (I think there was 2 I cant remember) were about the same and the Aesop Rock one was €28 I think. I mean I cant afford to pay that much on one cd.
    It's the same in HMV when it comes to The Roots Cds they are like €26 too. I did however get Do You Want More in Tower for €14.59, I was pleased with that.
    I got Jazzmatazz Vol. 2 in HMV for only €12.99.
    I also noticed there is a new Herbaliser album out, but I didnt really have a look at it.

hey bro - there's a thing called the 'internet'.
    it's where i get all my Def Jux **** (aside from CanOx which i got at the show).

try insound.com or hiphopsite.com

**** tower. this **** is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

old. but cool. hehe :)

back to albums... common - ressurection, fugees - the score, tribe called quest - the low end theory, rah digga - dirty harriet, slum village - fantastic vol. 2 ... plus all of the above.

adnans

hey bro - there's a thing called the 'internet'.

Now all I need is a credit card...

Now all I need is a credit card...

you can order with 'money order' from Chunky Records
    www.chunkyrecords.com

they're in the UK and pretty cheap.

if you'd rather download it and be mad yidish - email me and i'll hook you up.

Completely founded the rap/hip hop era of the 90's eh?
    Public Enemy had nothing to do with it at all then no? Or Run DMC?
    I would have thought also that Afrika Bambaattaa and Stetsasonic might have had a bit of an impact on hip hop.

Read what I said please - NWA made gansta rap for what it is today. The key words here being GANSTA. Public NME and Run DMC were/are NOT gansta RAP, if you think this, you have missed their message. NWA were heavily infuenced by Public NME and Run DMC. Afrika Bambaattaa, as far as I am concerned, is one of THE founders of hiphop.

Whilst I understand your thoughts and agree with what you have added to that, NWA is still the daddeh of Gansta rap, which is what I was trying to say.

Anyway, to leave it on a good note and not get into a silly flame way about whos this, that or the other. I leave you with this :)

mpsmileofdeath.jpg

• Advertisement

After I had posted that I reread what you had said and noticed that's what you meant even if you did word it badly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

first of all get solesides greatest bumps
    get the vinroc and dj abilties mixtapes
    get sum sole **** aswell
    new dj shadow and blackalicious albums are amazing

oh yea del the funky homosapien
    and organised konfusion aswell
    especally anything by
    Pharoahe Monch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

Early - Mid 90s stuff u should get

Nas - Illmatic - greatest hip-hop album ever
    DJ Shadow - Endtroducing - can't really beat it for instrumental stuff
    KRS-ONE - Return of the Boom Bap
    KRS-ONE - KRS-ONE
    Wu-Tang - Enter the 36 Chambers
    Biggie - Ready to Die
    Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
    Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
    Common Sense - Resurrection
    Organized Konfusion - Stress : The Extinction Agenda

Late 90s - u should get

Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
    Wu-Tang - Wu-Tang Forever
    The Roots - Things Fall Apart
    Blackstar - Mos Def and Talib Kweli are BLACKSTAR
    Blackalicious - Nia ( released in 200 but close enuff)

More recent stuff u should get

Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein
    Aesoprock - Labor Days
    Cormega - The Realness
    Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
    J-Live - The Best Part
    MF Doom - Operation Doomsday

Stuff being released in the next 2 months that u should get

DJ Shadow - Private Press
    Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
    El-P - Fantastic Damage
    J-Live - All of the Above
    RJD2 - Dead Ringer ( July sometime)

Originally posted by sleepwalker
    Early - Mid 90s stuff u should get

Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein

everyone needs that Cannibal Ox album.
    There's a Weathermen album coming out soon which on paper, should be amazing.

everything sleepwalker said just get

Drake I'd say you should go and get 2 of these albums every week until you have them all. That way you will get to listen to 'em all and appreciate them all.
    Regarding Gang Starr try and get Full Clip A Decade of Gang Starr. It's kinda difficult to get now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

everything sleepwalker said. have most of that stuff. mf doom is the man. kmd albums are good aswell.

Got The Cold Vein in a not so legit way. This album is amazing. One of my all time favourites for sure, and I've only had it a day.

What's the story with Anticon, I've havent heard any of the stuff, is it worth checking out too?

• Advertisement

What's the story with Anticon, I've havent heard any of the stuff, is it worth checking out too?

Deffinately try and check this **** out - the cLOUDDEAD album is probably my fave of that stuff. It's hard to describe, sounds a little like maybe Boards of Canada or something kinda *spit* 'Trip Hoppy' - with weird mc-ing on top. Dose has one of the coolest flows i've ever heard - really weird and high pitched. Singy bits thrown in too. kinda.

'Anticon Presents - Music For The Advancement Of Hip Hop' (kind of an ballsy title..)
    is probably the best intro to them (them being a load of different guys working together and seperate and not one group).
    The "main" MCs are Sole and Dose. Sole being the one who had some retarded beef with El-P on the internet.

try and download the track "it's them" by Them - it's not really representative of the rest of the album, but it's the most amazing track i've heard in a million years. the beat never really stays the same and Dose has his crazy flow on it.
    Sage Francis, who everyone seems to have a boner for these days, is part of them too but he's not on the 'Anticon Presents..' album.

any of you heads heard the new Anti-pop Consortium album?
    I quite liked the EP on warp. Not as good as the new Anticon 'We Aint Fessin' ep/single though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement