Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emailing

Options
  • 02-04-2002 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi
    Is am doing a project and in i must be able to email a client to confirm booking details from my system.
    Would anyone know a good site or perhaps even the code that would help.
    thanks kathy:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

What language are you using?
    Do a search on google for "$language email"

Where $language is the language you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

From recent forays into Perl, it seems the most user-friendly when it comes to emailing people thru SMTP, but I can hear the sound of glasses being dropped already.....so I'm gonna get outta here..........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kathy

Sorry i wasnt specific i am doing it in java. I need to be able to send and receive emails in my system.
    kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Have a look at Javamail from Sun

http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Sending mail in Perl is really easy, just like writing to a file.
    The Javamail stuff is pretty simple too.

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/JavaMail/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wee_lady

actually on a similar topic is there any way possible of doing the same thing in C?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by wee_lady
    actually on a similar topic is there any way possible of doing the same thing in C?

Yeah it's possible alright, but depends on what kind of libs you're using, or whether you want to implement an email protocol like SMTP yourself (which, while not trivial, is quite possible).

What platform are you talking about?

Cheers,
    Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Here is a great tutorial that has everything you need to know, in order to send and receive mail using Java:

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-10-2001/jw-1026-javamail_p.html

Enjoy ;)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by Trojan

Yeah it's possible alright, but depends on what kind of libs you're using, or whether you want to implement an email protocol like SMTP yourself (which, while not trivial, is quite possible).

What platform are you talking about?

Cheers,
    Al.

SMTP is indeed the "transfer" protocol (which is simple - as it says on the tin!), but don't forget that mail message formats are RFCed aswell. So you'll need to implement both the SMTP and Mail encoding RFCs.

In reality you could probably fudge both, as your Mail message could be very simple (i.e. if you don't need attachments, encoding etc), and you could short cut the SMTP protocol to not handle the full range of errors, i.e. it either sends or not ;)

Advertisement