Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS and Memory Questions

• 21-04-2001 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

I'm trying to get into my Dell Dimension XPS T500's BIOS and I can't remember which keys to press, the dell documentation is telling me 'Del' but that ain't doing it, any ideas?

Secondly, what's EDO RAM? I've got 64MB of SDRAM and am planning to add more and I keep coming across EDO evrywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Dunno bout EDO but these seem like great prices fro SDRAM

http://www.jaguarcompsys.ie/components/index.htm

Site's a bit messed up but just scroll down a bit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

on a dell it's the delete key that your looking for to get in to the bios setting.
    when are you pressing the del key ?
    you need to press it just after turning on the pc when the big dell pic comes up on your screen.

Coyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Try F1, F2, ESC

Edo ram is an older type of ram that is not pin compatible with SDRAM.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 21-04-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/kb/document.asp?DN=TT1012573&tag=

You probably tried this already, but just in case.....Copy & paste this link.

P.S. thanks for the password help.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

<Esc> on the Dell logo screen rebooted but this time with loads of system info and a prompt to press <Del> to go to the BIOS, perfick, Cheers!

PiE, thanks for the link, any idea when that page was last updated, it's looking a bit neglected so I'd be worried the prices are a bit out of date?

So, besides the quantity do I need to know anything beyond PC100 SDRAM DIMM before I go looking? Ebid here I come

What's a normal price to pay for RAM?

• Advertisement

No Worries Neil, Coyote was right, my timing was off, I just tried it again with just <Del> and it worked, I think I was expecting it to be earlier when my graphics card memory value pops up
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neil_Sedaka:
    http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/kb/document.asp?DN=TT1012573&tag=

You probably tried this already, but just in case.....Copy & paste this link.

P.S. thanks for the password help.
    </font>

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

http://www.crucial.com/UK/store/ListParts.asp?model=Dimension+XPS+T500&x=17&y=8
    ...lists prices (UK STG£) for compatible memory for a xps T500

Even if you dont buy from them, www.crucial.com has a good memory selector based on the model PC you might have...

BTW, I got 3 sticks of 256mb PC133 cas=2 ram from them in the last few weeks... worked out at £100 Irish each... (including vat (uk) and delivery)... plus my CC still hasn't been billed ;-)

Don't even think about it...™ Or Something...™

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ConUladh:
    ...any idea when that page was last updated..</font>

once its a static htm page (ie. not processed by the server) load it in your browser, put this in the address bar and hit enter...
    javascript:alert(document.lastModified)

Don't even think about it...™ Or Something...™

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

great little tip that Licksy.
    nice one.

Licksy, Good tip, great link, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement