Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could you moderate this forum? Help us out.....

• 02-04-2002 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

For some time now this IrelandOffline forum has served as both a place for people to publicly vent their anger and frustration at the current Internet access availability in Ireland, and for people to comment constructively on the multitude of topics interwoven into the current situation. On this board we cover the entire range of political, technical, business, and social issue discussions, its an explosive mix at times. It has allowed open discussion of all kinds of connected issues and has benefited the IrelandOffline campaign both in receiving feedback and in being able explaining the issues to an enormous number of people across the country.

From time to time, it is inevitable and understandable that threads on the forum become energetic and angry. Such threads, though often legitimate in their motives, have caused the campaign some problems with the people and organisations we are attempting to lobby and in an effort to help the campaign and our lobbying success we are asking for your help. We want this forum to continue and to thrive.

We are looking to appoint two new moderators to run the forum. Dahamsta (Adam) and Bard (Niall) are now stepping down. This will allow them the time to focus on other issues such as the development of our main web site. These new moderators will not be Committee or Working Group members of IrelandOffline. We feel that this will enable the forum far greater freedom to encompass a greater range of topics and a greater freedom of discussion.

We would like to hear from anyone interested in moderating the forum. Previous experience in doing so would be a benefit for those wishing to take it on, but it is by no means necessary.

So don't be shy, who’s up for moderating this forum?

David Long

Chairman IrelandOffline

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'd be prepared to give it a lash, David. IOFFL was my primary motivation behind joining boards, although after 300 + postings, I find myself popping into lots of differents forums now.

One disadvantage, I havn't modded here before.

Do we send you our resumé by PM, or are you taking all apps here too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Just email me a brief introduction, and previous experience you feel is relevant. Nice to see someone step up to the plate so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Id be intrested. I drop in very regularly, and i think i could have a level head dealing with people..

edit: Its a pitty to see dahamsta & Bard stepping down :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Same as Mr. Mugger, I only joined boards because of IOFFL, and probably 95% of my few posts have been here. I'm probably not on the site often enough to be a mod... If you're stuck, gimme a shout though.

Just posting now to thank Adam and Niall for devoting so much time and effort to this thankless task, and wish them the best with the new work :)

Good idea to seperate the jobs too.

Tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I'm already a mod of HW Tweaking and got another mod appointed to that due to me cutting back on my online time but I'll volunteer if you wish, but whats the new format of this forum going to be ? Will it be a continuation along the same lines or what ? This for now is unclear, and it would be nice to know exactly what those stepping forward are volunteering for.

I'd like to see a thread or sticky where users can complain about the mods if they've been unfair in the moderatorship and hows about a weekly or monthly q and a session, where users can stick their questions in a thread and they'll get answered by the committee. All questions that can be answered by the faq can be answered by the mods by them posting a link to the relevant area in the faq.

I'd also like to volunteer Dustaz if he doesn't volunteer himself, he'd make a great mod. The mac forums very quiet anyways, the macfanatics are a civil bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Same as Tim..if ur really really...really really stuck, gimme a buzz :)
    Good luck dahamsta and Bard, well done on the level and standard uve brought the boards up to :D I hope the standard can be maintained :)

Ruu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I hope one of the reasons for Dahamsta & Bard stepping down weren't because of people moaning about them, theyre both very good mods overall, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

i'll throw my hat in the ring. I don't post much but I read everything everyday. I have plenty of administration and organisational skills because the team I run at clanbio.com which has forums which I moderate has about 50 active members.

I am also active in a lot of the Irish gaming communities helping to run Quake.ie and i've run various competitions in the past. IOFFL is very important to us gamers and it's objectives are our mecca so to speak and i'd love to help out moderating this forums to do my bit for IOFFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it's mad that mods should have to step down from the forum they have been in charge of since it's inception.

As has been said, it is not a democracy, if you have to ban people do it, some people seem to think you are here to serve them.

All I can say is I hope the people that have forced this solution onto the forum will be proud that they have brought the campaign backwards with internal bickering rather than making a contribution that matters.

In particular, Paddy20, if you want to set up a campaign for getting disabled person's a discount, get your own forum, while here, obey the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

SkepticOne would make an excellent moderator, hes detacted from the issues while at the same time knows a great deal about them. hes been a member since day one as well. Most importantly he hasnt(afaik) ever been in a fight on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Both Dahamsta and Bard do a great job in moderating these forums. Do they really need to step down?

I agree with boston (!!!!!:) ), skeptic would make a great mod. As yellum said , the mac board doesnt exactly take up all my time, so Id be interested if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

yea duntaz would make a good moderator, i dont like the guy but i dont think he woul be abusive or abuse he postion.

In response to Yellum's questions, I would like to add that we have no plans to change the overall format in any dramatic way.

His suggestions regarding feedback are something that the moderator when he or she is picked could let themselves in for if they so wish, I see no problem with it. The forum will be under their control not that of the committee, or a committee asigned moderator.

A question and answer session (although a little off topic here) is something that could be arranged.

The major change in having a moderator not on the committee or working groups is that they can moderate this forum without having accusations made at the campaign of IOFFL as a whole. They can exercise greater control in the forum.

Boston, SkepticOne is actually already a committee member, he is also head of the membership working group.

Can ask that people are let come foward themselves. It is after all a personal choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

*raises hand*
    lets see...I drop in fairly regulary, post as often as possible... I've moderated a few forums which have unfortuntly been taken down now... I've moderated UBB, Vbulletin and some home-made forums.

And also, my #1 concern over the past 10 months is flat-rate internet in Ireland, if that helps.

And goodbye to bard and dahmasta, we'll miss you, hope you keep posting on the boards :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

i`d be very willing to take a shot at it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

I would second the yellum/Dustaz ticket - a good cop/bad cop combination is needed on a forum like this ;-)
    adam, bard:congratulations on a job well done which deserved to end on a lighter note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

Could i suggest that a poll be set up with the list of candidates/volenteers? I myself would vote for the yellum/Dustaz duo and maby 1 or 2 more. And i just want to say, dispite what ye both may think when i say this. Adam/Bard ye both have done a great job on the IOFFL Board ye both have made it what it is today. Congrats for a job well done and thank's to you both.

Regards,

Manic

Originally posted by Xian
    I would second the yellum/Dustaz ticket - a good cop/bad cop combination is needed on a forum like this ;-)

So who's who? :)

I wanna be bad cop. :P

I'm actually part of the lobbying working group, so I'll ..oh hang on, heh, just reading email from that list now.

I'll be mod sure no probs. Is there positions for three mods ? Adam and Bard did very well for so long but we could see that they couldn't take a breather for more than a few hours between them.

Are you lads stepping down to take over other roles or because of hassle ? Hope it wasn't cos of any hassle I personally created, I doubt it, the lads are fairly tough skinned nowadays, but if it was I wish to make my apologies.

I see that we are actually modless now.

This would impley that until the new mods are appointed, anybody can post anything here.

Was it wise to remove moderator privs before new ones were appointed?

Perhaps we need a temp mod to tie us over (just in case).
    David (Dangger) perhaps?

Tim

• Advertisement

I support Timod too. He is very community minded and has done a lot of good for the community in his home town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Why exactly are Adam and Bard being removed?

Is this some kind of issue megalomaniac kiddies are having about increasing their power base?

Let me dispel your ascenine illusions.
    You will be a paltry parody in comparison to Bard and Adam, both of whom have been making this forum work since before most of you lot were a glean in a troll's baited posts.

It is utterly without merit to remove these two moderators, but I understand exactly why one or both may want to go and to put it simply there is a hard core of utter wasters who have nothing better to do then to cause trouble at the slightest opportunity.

Myself I am only here six months but, I have to say that the contact I had with Bard and Adam made me think that you couldn't meet two cooler fellas.

This is an utter disgrace that Bard, Adam and Boston should be pushed out by a load of whinges, let me dispel your illusions about what this means.

It means that guys who had set aside time to contribute to a community gratis and without any kind of tangable financial remuneration have now been lost due to infectious morons some of whom are themselves 'Moderators' though I use the term loosely in some instances.

I had considered stepping down from Green Issues, because of the flack I was getting from some quarters.

Let me say considering Bard and Adam no longer feel capable of dealing with this crap is a loss for this movement.
    It was never meant to be about the gormless pedantics of who runs a web forum, it was meant to be about the pressue group and getting what was right for the Irish internet consumer.

I hope the responsible parties feel really great about this fact while they are using their low band 56k pay by the minute internet accounts.

Typedef.

Paddy20.

Consider yourself named and shamed by me. Your thread about Bard was adding insult to injury and had this been my forum I would have banned you.

Good going, because of crap like that both Moderators want nothing to do with this forum and really who could blame them?

Typedef.

Typedef, where are you getting these facts ?

Its all speculation right now. Bard and Dahamsta may in fact be getting promoted to more worthwhile jobs in IrelandOffline and so in order for them to make time for this they'll have to drop the moderating of this forum. Course I'm speculating now, I don't know either.

If my speculation is correct and hey are being moved up and not quitting or being kicked out, you have just insulted the new moderators of this forum whoever they may be. Not the best welcome to be giving to those who will have a tough enough job filling the parting lads shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by yellum
    I wanna be bad cop. :P

I wouldnt mind a go as the cop with the psychological issues and nervous twitch...

But on a serious note - well done to bard and dahamsta

Ok Yellum you can have my vote if it makes you feel better.
    You want another forum fine what do I care.

Erm Yellum for your information you may have missed it but 1. This is a public forum and I am expressing an opinion which adam or Bard may slap down at their leisure, 2. Without speaking for Bard or Adam it is obvious that thread's like paddy20's just add to a feeling of 'why in the hell do I bother'. 3. My heart goes out to the next Moderators if they feel insulted, be sure, they can pm me their griveance and I wil give it it's just notice.

I can't speak for Adam or Bard, but I suspect at least one of the two was extremely pissed off just getting trolled for providing a free service, I'm not saying I know this as gospel, but if the two were 'moving up' in Ireland off line don't you think there would have been some kind of official pass over to the next mod's and so on or perhaps an explaination?

It's farily obvious this is not a good development and with respect to the next moderators, in my view they will have along, damn long way to go to replace the two who have left and I'm real sorry if that does not sit too pretty with you but there it is.

Typedef, apologies if you thought I was somehow attacking you I wasn't. I'm leaving it at that as I don't want to contribute to another flamewar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Personally I think it is a disgrace that Bard & Dehamsta who both have done a very good job are having to step down.

Lads you have done an excellent job and I think you should reconsider your positions on this.

As for new mods you need people who will take no crap from anyone. This should be made clear in the FAQ/Sticky post and people should be banned if they persist in diverting from the rules of the forum.

I would volunteer but as I have my hands full with existing boards and the fact I am on the Membership Working Group I cannot. I would recommend someone with the tolerance of Castor Troy from Boards thou. He would sort out the messers very quickly.

BTW I think Dustaz should be considered :)

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

Create a Poll with all the volunteers for mods, let people vote for who they want and get on with it. Personally I do not think we are going to get the same satisfaction or professionalism that Bard/Adam supplied to these Bards. We made our bed we got rid of the 2 best Mods for the Board so now lets Lie in it and elect someone else. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO offence to any up-and-coming Mod whatsoever. I just think that Bard/Adam will be a very hard act to follow and a lot will be expected from whoever takes their place. So lets move on people and deal with it.

Regards,

Manic

PS can someone get rid of those new Smilies, they look terrible heheh :)

Apologies for lack of comment, I've been away for a day unexpectedly, and I am truly amazed at the level of response. I will be acknowledging all the offers in due course.

We are going to let the self nomination run until Friday night at 9pm.

I would like to make it clear that the reasons for Bard and Dahamsta's departure were given in my initial post at the top of this thread. It was a decision made by the committee, which they were both involved with.

With the evolvement of IOFFL as a recognised organisation, we have an increasing amount work to be getting on with. Dahamsta will very much be a part of this, unfortunately Bard has stepped down from his committee role recently, but he has kindly offered to help us with the web site.

We are going to stick with two moderators for the moment. Further decisions will be in the hands of the new moderators as control will be handed over to them.

I asked for people to mail me directly or post details of any relevant experience to assist us in making our choice. IOFFL will choose the new moderators and both Bard and Dahamsta will be involved in the selction process. It will not be via a poll.

Thanks guys,

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would have offered, except my exams start on the 29th :( and after that I can't guarantee being here all the time. Certainly not ideal for a mod on a board with this much traffic (and trolling :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i am not very active on this board, but i would like to vote for yellum/Dustaz aswell. I think they would both do a good job. Its a shame to see bard and dahamsta stepping down they did great work. Does anyone else feal that boards.ie have gone down hill over the past few months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

If I had a vote Id vote for Yellum ;)

:ogre:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Hmmm...

Might as well nominate myself I suppose :P I think it's a case of too little, too late, but hey.

Brief introduction - I've been here since Summer 2001, reading up the information, occasionally replying when I can make a valuable contribution but I'm really going more on experience here :confused: ...

Experience - Webmaster (that includes forum mod) of HPFanClub.com - Now webmaster (and again one of the forum mods) of DarkMark.com. Also used to do some official but not officially acknowledged work for MSN Community forums.

Evidently no huge involvement with Boards.ie here - so I'd evidently be new blood - but perhaps that's what this place needs...a mix of experience and new ideas (or perhaps it just needs two experienced people ;) but hey I can't write myself out entirely in my own post)

Anyway, that's about enough of me tooting my own horn...onto the next hopeful...

• Advertisement

I sent a pm to Dangger withdrawing my volunteering as I am in the Lobbying Working Group. Anyways I won't have as much time from now on due to my new international man of mystery job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I sent a pm to Dangger withdrawing my volunteering as I am in the Lobbying Working Group. Anyways I won't have as much time from now on due to my new international man of mystery job.

When I said onto the next hopeful I was hoping for something a tad more enthusiastic than this ;) Oh well - pity that you're out of the running, but you're on the Lobbying Group - so you make up a vital part of IOFFL already ^_^ that's something to be proud of.

Well they are looking for mods that are not on the committee or working groups so that rules me out.

Ah but credit where credit is due... that at least means your not a pinko.

I think there is one under my bed, yes, and I'm fairly sure he is either 1: A soviet agent 2: An eircom empolyee[n]

[n]Eircom employees are know to be avid Red-Hat users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Dustaz and Yellum ought to moderate this list, were my view to count in this matter. The Force is strong with them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Interested in helping out where possible.

(if that counts as a self-nomination)

Sent Dave Long a mail to the indigo address.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dromoland

I also would like to see dustaz and yellum moderate the list. Yellum might have a problem being involved with the working group but could the committee not amend the rules to allow this to happen.

I believe both of these individuals, like dahamsta, have the forthrightness, spirit and diplomacy to deal with all the different shades of opinion we get in here. They have proved this over and over again in their postings.

They are both true democrats so could handle the more controversial members without slapping these people's opinions down out of hand.

Irelandoffline must built on its strengths and continue to grow to be a greater force than it already is. The larger the membership we can boast of the more seriously our opinion will be taken by the media and telcos. Good mods will encourage the expression of all opinions and make new members not feel out of place thereby holding them here indefinately.

The new moderators have been chosen and informed. I am with holding their identity until they have had a chance to contact me.

Congrats to Steele_Manheim whoever he/she is!

(On a a side note, I do find it a little strange that somebody with 8 post, and registered on boards only a week ago joins Dustaz as mod - or is it an old-timer who just got a new name?)

Anway best of luck.

Tim

It has me puzzled too :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

With all due respect, and to echo timod and wossname, who in chrissname is Steele_Manheim?

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    With all due respect, and to echo timod and wossname, who in chrissname is Steele_Manheim?

adam
    Im only classed as a 'wossname'?! im hurt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by dahamsta

adam

I'll echo that also ... with a large "WTF!?" ...

WTF!?

Just running out the door to more meetings. I will make a fomral post to announce this but for the record, the new moderators are Sceptre and Dustaz. I have asked for confirmation of the name change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Haven't changed my nick so I think there was a small error with the mod allocations (I suppose if that's the worst thing that happens today, considering the Esat meeting later, then we're not doing too badly)

Apologies for all the "cloak and dagger" stuff - Dave has been holding off adding me until we had a bit of a chat (and as you can see, it's an especially busy time)

I'll wait till any formal announcement before making my "I live to give and hope to serve with grace" speech :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement