Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership football at 3pm on saturday- legally

• 02-04-2002 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hi all
    this is my first post!
    Does anyone know a legal, consistent way to view football at 3pm on saturday, a far as I am ware most pubs, clubs etc use cards that are "not branded" - surely with the EU etc.

I am not interested in the illegal ways- I spoke with a young chap from sky some months ago- who suggested that season tickets for liverpool manu etc are only a year or so away. they wont be cheap - 300 sterling plus- a live season ticket is only 450 for anfield!!!!

anyway some ideas for you guys to chew on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

doh!
    when i seen the subject, i thought you had found a way to get football on a saturday.

:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I thought Delboy was selling some back of the lorry motorised dishes! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 delboy

guys really,

the fact that there are only 2 replys must indicate - that sky have all the rights sewn up and therefore no chance.

If thats the case has anyone asked sky about premiership season tickets for liverpool manu etc.

the reason why there is no footie on at 3pm is gate attendance- surely ireland doesnt effect this dramatically.

can anyone see 3pm sat football on tv in our lifetime- or do i keep dreamin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Trotters Independant Traders are back in business ;)

I prefer the old smilies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by delboy
    guys really,

the fact that there are only 2 replys must indicate - that sky have all the rights sewn up and therefore no chance.

If thats the case has anyone asked sky about premiership season tickets for liverpool manu etc.

the reason why there is no footie on at 3pm is gate attendance- surely ireland doesnt effect this dramatically.

can anyone see 3pm sat football on tv in our lifetime- or do i keep dreamin.

It is nothing to do with Sky having rights sewn up.

As you have stated there is some strange law stating that saturday afternoon matched in England are not to be shown on live TV as this may result in poor gate attendance.

The pubs which have Saturday afternoon soccer are using European packages (German/Norwegian). I think that these are easy enough to get and legal too. I think that Chernobyl has one of these packages so he may be able to give you more information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sayireland

Another possibility no mentioned on the prevous link is that from Spain on Hispasat. Check out www.viadigital.tv Probably needs a 1m dish at least.

Futbol Total show Premiership and FA Cup live and delayed as well as Portguese, French, Belgian, Argentinan and Dutch football.
    They shown one Saturday game live as well as another delayed at 18.00, all Sunday games including all PPV and the Monday game (though delayed at 01.00). Unfortunalely all commentaries in Spanish but another possibility nonetheless.

You would of course need a Spanish address and account before 'moving' to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

The following is from http://sat-2000.com/

The UK FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION are starting to bully UK publicans once again . The FA previously took UK satellite dealer Vision On to court in 1997 after being found to have in their possession smartcards and decoders capable of decoding Premier league football broadcast by European satellite channels . The following is a letter received a few days ago from the FA.
    For the Attention of: The Licensee

Dear Sirs,
    As you are no doubt aware, we organise the "FA Barclaycard Premiership". The majority of Premiership matches take place on a Saturday afternoon ("the Saturday Matches"). We do not show live coverage of the Saturday Matches in the UK as to do so would contravene UEFA regulations which provide that television broadcasting of football in England is prohibited between 14:45 and 17:15 (local time) on Saturdays.

However, we have the right to exploit live television coverage of the Saturday Matches outside the UK. In accordance with our rights, we have Licensed the right to broadcast Saturday Matches outside the UK including but not limited to Scandinavia, for inclusion in broadcasts intended for and licensed only for reception in those particular countries ("the Transmissions"). The Transmissions are by satellite television and are encrypted. They can only be viewed if the viewer has certain satellite equipment. Therefore, apart from via agreed Broadcasters (BSkyB, ntl, On Digital and Telewest), the broadcast of all live Premiership matches on any day in the UK is prohibited. The possession of equipment which enables access in the UK to broadcasts live Premiership matches (for example the Saturday Matches) is prohibited.

Our attention has been drawn to the fact that the match between Fulham and Liverpool was shown at The xxxxxxxxx on Saturday 2nd March 2002 at 15:00 to approximately 200+ patrons. Your conduct infringes our intellectual property rights which are contained in section 298 of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended by the Conditional Access (Unauthorised Decoders) Regulations 2000. These provisions give us rights and remedies against persons who, amongst other things, install, possess or use any " apparatus or device designed or adapted to enable or assist persons to receive the programmes" (section 298(2)).

Our rights were upheld in the case of The Football Association Premier League Limited & Others v Vision On (Midlands) Limited , dated 5 July 1999, where it was decided by Mr Justice Jacob, that the "apparatus or device" described above includes the "complete kit for the reception of Premier League football matches" and includes smartcards, decoders, satellite antenna and satellite receivers.

It has come to our attention that you are in possession of some or all of these goods, and you are therefore clearly infringing our rights. We are entitled to all the rights and remedies set out in section 298 and in particular, we are entitled to the delivery up and seizure of the infringing goods against any person in possession of them (section 298(3)).

We therefore require an undertaking in the form attached herewith dealing with the following:-
    1 . That you will not now or in the future show live Premiership matches (including the Saturday Matches) whether in part or in whole other than via a UK broadcaster authorised to broadcast live Premiership matches

2. That you will by 12:00 noon on Thursday 21st March 2002 deliver up to us any and all smartcards, decoders, satellite antenna, satellite receivers or any other equipment whatsoever which is or could be used to receive encrypted transmissions of live Premiership Matches (including the Saturday Matches) other than via a UK broadcaster authorised to broadcast live Premiership matches

We require the undertaking by 12:00 noon on Thursday 14th March 2002 failing which our solicitors have been instructed to commence proceedings against you forthwith and without further notice.

Please sign, date and return the undertaking to us within the deadline specified above. A pre paid envelope is enclosed. We also draw to your attention that the possession of the equipment which enables you to view these matches may constitute a criminal offence under section 297A of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended by the Conditional Access (Unauthorised Decoders) Regulations 2000. A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on conviction in the Magistrates Court to a fine of up to £5,000 and on conviction in the Crown Court to imprisonment for up to 2 years and/or an unlimited fine.

Should you be in any doubt as to your legal position or if you do not understand the contents of this letter, or the undertaking sought, you should consult with your own legal advisers. We hereby expressly reserve all our rights, including the right to make an application to court for interlocutory relief, and we reserve the right to produce a copy of this letter to the court on the question of costs.

Yours faithfully
    For and on behalf of The F.A Premier League Limited

Amy Butler
    Legal Services

Legal Subs can be bought at a price at:
    http://213.254.189.34/2001/

hi folks

i am thinking hard about the premiership at the moment we pay 53 euro plus the 100 euro fee for the premiership plus stuff.

As far as I can see the european kit (dish box card etc) will cost about 600 euro- but to be honest I am uncomfortable with the idea of sourcing this kit through non offical channels.

It seems unclear as to the legal position, the letter from the premiership posted above seems to indicate that the restrictions of 3pm sat football apply to england, and also to countries were the premiership have sold on the rights for delayed coverage etc.

I suppose the holy grail is a season ticket for your club where you can watch all the matches. - the man utd channel show delayed coverage of most games- but theres no point in shouting at the highlights!!! and I am a liverpool fan!!!

still
    keep the ideas comming

Personally I think any EU package should be legally available in any EU country. At the end of the day no matter where you subscribe, if you are paying legit subs the various bodies involved are all getting their fair share of that sub. The copyright issues need brought up to speed with the technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

from the link above canal + i think has all the matches.

so if i have an address in france can i get a card and use it over here?

any1 have an idea of the cost of doing it LEGALLY

Well, roughly, going on mail order sites from across the pond, Dish, Motor and non-sky digibox will probably set you back about €660 (£400), then you'll need your sub after that.
    Have a look at :
    http://www.canalplus.nl
    http://www.telepiu.it
    http://www.canalplus.fr
    and even though the sites aren't in English you should be able to find the cost of the various packages.
    (To be fair to Sky they are not the most expensive - honest !)
    A number of companies will set you up a legit sub, for a fee of course, but if you know someone with an address in Holland or Italy it can be a DIY job.

I had the Dutch Channels when In Holland and while there are not that many compared to Sky - fewer channels can honestly mean better quality.

Hope that helps.

thanks

i wonder if there are any channels that you don't need a sub for

ie fta/ftv

hi all

I am sure like the rest of you
    I have been on the various sites looking to purchase a legit card from canal or some of the others- as all the sites are in french/ norwegian/ german etc its difficult.

If anyone knows where to buy these legit - cards for football at 3pm on saturdays - not the other cards please post the details here.

:)

There are two fairly well established compaines in England where you can buy legit subs, one of them is the one I mentioned, the other I can't remember the name of but I'm sure they advertise in "What Satellite" Magazine.
    You won't get anywhere approaching the compaines like Canal + direct as I'm afraid they'll just send you a "sorry we don't have the rights to broadcast in Ireland, you can't subscribe" reply.

Sorry, I meant to add, there are lots of FTA channels, but they are mostly German and Middle Eastern on Astra 19.2. Quite a lot of radio too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I used to have a Canal+ blauw sub and there was no difficulty obtaining it directly, but that was about a one year ago...so things might have changed.

As for the others, i have approached Telepiu in the past to get "D+" and at first i wanted the box and a sub but that was no go, then i just wanted the card and they still refused.

Canal+, remember operates all over Europe and i probably had no difficulty getting the card as i could speak the lingo, but my italian is no where near as good so i might have go the sub but just didnt know it(not!)
    :P

for a history to this stuff see the site below
    try this site as sugessted by srb- his url was slightly wrong

http://213.254.189.34/2001/newindex.htm

viewing cards about 450 euro's i think

Sorry about the URL - I just took it from my Bookmarks, it worked last time I used the site.

Here's a listing of free to air TV in Europe:
    http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Europe.shtml
    (and yes I checked this one !)

hi all

got a reply from canal plus saying "clear off- we wont sell you an offical viewing card"- the reply was in french- so i had to translate using the web!!!

i have been all over the web and can only find the 2 sites mentioned above which sell offical cards- although they wont clarify if the channels carry football as they are english based. (see above for the history)

does anyone know of any offical websites or stores that sell offical cards for the football- i assume canal plus is the best but there are 4 different canal channels.- so which one is best for the footie. the german premier sport 1 seems good also.

the cost seems around 500 euros per year for the card - the kit is about 600 euro.

• Advertisement

Like I said, approach the companies directly and they will say "sorry no can do", I think this is down to the FA in England and Sky who were none to pleased to discover a number of Pubs and one major chain had switched subs to (I think it was Tele+, though could be wrong) and were showing Sat matches.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, LiverpoolFC (and probably a lot more) show games on their website but are subscription based and would help to have broadband connection. Plus they're gonna launch their own MUTV-type channel as are Arsenal next season.

those games are not shown live

Advertisement