Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc upstairs to a phone jack downstairs?

Options
  • 02-04-2002 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭

what do i do to connect to the internet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Difficult

what i used to do...run a really long cable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

I took up floorboards and dug a4 foot high hole in the cornor, it's not that hard. Alternatvely you could connect a wireless baststation to the phone jack downstairs and get a wireless interface of some description upstairs and that should work, although it would be expensive. If you are goig to take up floorboards then lay down ethernet cabling at the same time, it'll save you the hassle you might have to go through later like I will probably during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

50/100m phone cables are easily available. Or for a simpler, neater, easier solution, take a long wood drill bit and drill through roof and floorboard. Simple.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Keep in mind that the longer the extension cable you use, the more chance there is of the signal being affected by interference - also, try to keep the cable away from power leads and other phone cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Eircom shops sell a solution that should solve your problem.
    As somebody else (Jorinn) mentioned, a wireless sender/receiver beside your phone port, and a wireless sender receiver plugged into your computer..

You will need to have a plug beside your phone though (and another one beside your computer)..

I think it was either 100 euro or 180 euro (can't exactly remember). It was in the eircom shop in Blanchardstown shopping centre.

BTW: A longer cord would only cost you about 8 euro!

• Advertisement
Advertisement