Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody else looking at V.92?

• 15-04-2001 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

I was thinking - it costs a fortune to upgrade a modem bank but maybe if an ISP used one of the new Internet access numbers just for v.92 would that work? I'd love to have broadband but 24/7 flat rate analog wouldn't be too bad, and a v.92 modem would give me a good ping.

I'd upgrade to a v92 modem in a flash if they were supported. If any other peeps are considering it, we could try suggesting it to an ISP (v92 support). afaik they are backward compatible so you would still be able to dial into a v90 modem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Most Lucent v90 WinModems can be software flashed to v92 - I tried this before I reformatted yesterday and it worked just fine. My connection seemed to be a bit more stable, even though the ISP is only v90.

- Munch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Irish ISP's will never upgrade to v.92

How do you know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteLancer:
    Irish ISP's will never upgrade to v.92</font>

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

v.92 only provides faster upload speeds and a call waiting function.

• Advertisement

V92 also provides more stable connections and quicker connect times - you should be able to connect in about 10 seconds with a proper V90 setup (on both ends).

- Munch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Where can i get those lucent drivers? I have a 1614 chip, but i connect a 28.8...........
    frown.gif Will I be able to flash upgrade an exteral modem to V.92.......if it can be flashed that is, cos I'm about to buy one and i need to know this........
    [VTi]Syxpak

No-one ever suspects the Duck
    He who must die, must die in the dark even though he sells candles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:

frown.gif Will I be able to flash upgrade an exteral modem to V.92.......if it can be flashed that is, cos I'm about to buy one and i need to know this........
    [VTi]Syxpak

</font>

bit vague there really. Try going to the manufacturers website?

The cost. Also, since your upload speed is increased, your download speed is decreased. Tell me, why would an irish ISP, like oceanfree spend possibly 100' of thousands on upgrading to v 92 with broadband soon?.Also free isp'd gain nothing from upgrading adn the majority of people will not go out to get a new modem just cos of v.92.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

broadband soon</font>

lol?

• Advertisement

In the long term outlook the ISP's have to take, 1 year is relatively soon. v.92 still isnt out yet for isp's afk, and who knows when it will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

It's a step up the ladder, unfortunately, if we want ADSL or mass cable access, then we'll need to ... buy a new ladder, or something confused.gif

But it's a miniscule step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

In the long term outlook the ISP's have to take, 1 year is relatively soon. </font>

smile.gif lol again. I just took a tenner off a lad in work who said last year wed have it in a year. Ill go for the same bet again.

Nah, i wouldnt take it. We will have some form, in fact south west dub already does.

In a years time when we dont have broadband, ill find this post and rub your face in it smile.gif
    (sorry, but 12 people with cable in tallaght dont count)

How many people have access to chorus?
    Same again for NTL.

Well, i could be wrong, but i dont think anyone has access to chorus atm (late april was the last i heard for dublin, no idea about the country) and Tallaght, Tempelogue and another area in Dublin has ntl access.
    In short , the only hope for bb i see is chorus. NTL if they get their fingers out after this re-assesment thing will take about a year to get more areas on stream. Eircon wont do anything except test for about a year. So i still stand by that prediction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Right. Time to clarify things about v92.

None of the Irish ISP's currently support it, and most of them arent planning to either. UTV Internet is the only one looking hopeful at the moment.

Head over to my website at http://uie.8m.com for details - click on the v92 link. I emailed all the ISP's recently and have posted their replies. It was done a few months ago, but nothing has changed - trust me I've been in touch.

Go have a look.

--Chris--

Unmetered Ireland - http://uie.8m.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

yea i heard about the v.92 modems awhile ago but its not esat that needs to upgrade to it, its eircom, so your feiced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Cheers.... Now go advertise it. smile.gif

--Chris--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

can they not just flash their modems too?
    thats all you have to do to upgrade..

flashing a few thousand modems (presuming they support it) shouldnt be a very hard task for eircom..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

they wont make any money out of doing so i im saying no they wont do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The cost. Also, since your upload speed is increased, your download speed is decreased. Tell me, why would an irish ISP, like oceanfree spend possibly 100' of thousands on upgrading to v 92 with broadband soon?.Also free isp'd gain nothing from upgrading adn the majority of people will not go out to get a new modem just cos of v.92.</font>

I guess I didn't make myself clear. By saying using one of the new numbers for v92, I was hoping if a ISP was buying new modems, it would buy v92, we could dial in to the new number if we had a v92 modem.

There's probably all sorts of technical issues i'm overlooking, capacity being a big one. Maybe there's someway to automatically re-direct the call to a v90 modem if all the v92 were in use?

I wasn't suggesting replacing entire banks with v92 modems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

hey, Chris_533976, nice site smile.gif

- Ciaran
    smoke-me-a-kipper
    S-M-A-K bottom!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dustaz:
    In a years time when we dont have broadband, ill find this post and rub your face in it smile.gif
    (sorry, but 12 people with cable in tallaght dont count)
    </font>

Why dont I count? frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

becaous your recent lobotomy left you devoid of any computational ability, and a preference for wearing frilly undergarments.
    but we'll get back to that another time, another post.
    wink.gif

Advertisement