Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Strokes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 punk

oooo strokes live pic.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 StrokesQueen

I read in that pillar of sophisticated music journalism:P ,NME, that Julian had a row with a record company exec cos he didnt want to make a TV appearance. They made up apparently and the band didnt make the appearance...course it could all be Hear'Say or a load of old sh1t...wait thats the same thing :cheeky:

Originally posted by StrokesQueen
    I read in that pillar of sophisticated music journalism:P ,NME, that Julian had a row with a record company exec cos he didnt want to make a TV appearance. They made up apparently and the band didnt make the appearance...course it could all be Hear'Say or a load of old sh1t...wait thats the same thing :cheeky:

it was in the Sun aswell (according to other people,I do NOT read that rag)anyway I'm goin' to check http://www.nme.com .....

Looks like only the start of the Liam Gallagher-esk antics......

LAST FIGHT ?

THE STROKES got into a fight with one of their record company senior executives and then pulled out of a planned television promo performance in PARIS recently, NME.COM can reveal.

The pressure of being on the road almost constantly for a year told on the band just over a fortnight ago when frontman Julian Casablancas cracked and punched John Voigtmann, senior director of International marketing at parent label RCA.

The band had been lined up to appear on a television show in Paris on March 19 when the bust-up happened.

"Julian hit him," guitarist Albert Hammond Jnr told NME last week. "He wouldn't normally, he's the last guy who would. But they were making us do this thing and we hadn't been told [about it]. They lied to us and we really didn't want to do it.

"So this guy is saying you got to do this show and we're saying no and our manager wasn't there at the time and it got a little weird. He didn't hit him hard, though."

The Strokes did not make the appearance.

The Strokes rounded off the UK and Ireland leg of their current tour at Dublin Olympia at the weekend (March 31). Rumours of road fever and in-band bickering had started to swirl around the band, but these were nonsense according to Albert.

"How do these rumours start?" he asked. "There is no rift. We've been on the road for over a year and we're a little tired, but we're still all friends."

The Strokes are due to take up six months off now to recharge their batteries and write and record their anticipated second album, though there is still talk of festival appearances in the summer.
    StrokesTinPark_L.jpg
    Don't mess with him... Pic:A.Willsher

http://www.nme.com/news/101271.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Steele_Manheim

Originally posted by punk
    LAST FIGHT ?

THE STROKES got into a fight with one of their record company senior executives and then pulled out of a planned television promo performance in PARIS recently, NME.COM can reveal.
    http://www.nme.com/news/101271.htm

you are retarded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I bought the album before I saw them so image didnt have an effect. So in order to be an alternative band the members have to look like neerds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by snoop_dogg

please see boyzone, n'sync, backstreet boys, six, and all the other homo bands that are hyped to **** just cos they got money behind them.

just becuase you dont like the type of music they represent does'nt mean they have no talent, they wouldn't be doing as well as they are now if that statement was true

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

damn straight. nsync rock!

:}

Hey c'mon now, I know everyone has a right to an opinion but I won't have my lovely Strokes thread turned into an *NSync appreciation society!

Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭The Evil Monkey

but its *NSync !! how can we not show our appreciation??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 snoop_dogg

Originally posted by thedrowner

just becuase you dont like the type of music they represent does'nt mean they have no talent, they wouldn't be doing as well as they are now if that statement was true

dude, i'm pretty sure there is some talent involved. mostly in those people that write and produce their songs.

but how much work, apart from dancing, and looking pretty do you think the members of these bands make.

the fact that they are popular has very little to do with the fact that they are talented.

talent, in these days is seen as somewhat excess baggage. if the money is there, there is no need for it.

please note, that i did not criticise N'Sync's music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

*Nsync...hmmmm...

i think we have a few closet fans...

i mean you're even putting the * in....

rock on *Nsync rock on

Kurdt:knockedout:

Originally posted by snoop_dogg

dude, i'm pretty sure there is some talent involved. mostly in those people that write and produce their songs.

but how much work, apart from dancing, and looking pretty do you think the members of these bands make.

the fact that they are popular has very little to do with the fact that they are talented.

talent, in these days is seen as somewhat excess baggage. if the money is there, there is no need for it.

please note, that i did not criticise N'Sync's music.

WOW... a sense of maturity from ya snoop...

you surprise us all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 snoop_dogg

Originally posted by Kurdt

WOW... a sense of maturity from ya snoop...

you surprise us all....

eat a dick

ahh, theres the snoop we've all grown to love...

also...

i don't know many richards...hmmm...

richard branson...he's too rich to eat...

any richards around?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

ME ME ME. But I'd prefer not to be eaten, thank you very much.

snoop
    you dont just get accepted into a "boyband" or "girlband" if you dont fit the requirements and just because you dont like that type of singing and the dancing that comes with it doesnt mean its any less valuable to, or worse for others. The people in bands like westlife and nsync and all of that music are good at singing, good at dancing if required. so what if there are people behind them doing some of the work like playing instruments and writing the songs? Its not like the industry covers it up to make us think otherwise, we know the facts. And vocals are just as good an instrument/talent as guiatr or drums and dancing is just as good for entertainment. i dont like them either but i dont think im superior to people who do like them just because its not my taste. Nor do i go around slagging them for what they do.

believe me, the industry doesn't put the money in if they dont think the band has the talent, and the reason most rock/alternative bands (particularly newer ones) dont get as much financial support from the industry is because the industry dont think they will go as far as bands like westlife and n sync. and i hate to say this, but theyre probably right, because pop bands currently appeal more to a greater amount of people, and if you want to make money from a band, from a business point of view, youre gonna pick the band that will make you the most money, the ones that will appeal to the greater amount of people.

To bring this thread back to its orginal subjects,

No Strokes at Witnness???!!!

:(

Can anyone tell me whats the story with this?
    Oh Well I guess we'll find out tonight at the launch......sigh

To bring this thread back to its orginal subjects,

No Strokes at Witnness???!!!

:(

Can anyone tell me whats the story with this?
    Oh Well I guess we'll find out tonight at the launch......sigh

eh,
    they already played Ireland (and I saw 'em!)
    and they're having a 6 month break from touring at the moment during which they'll be recording & writing their new album and taking a well deserved break !

But...But.....But....

They're playing a few of the U.K. Festivals and Albert said that they're coming to one in Ireland.....We all assumed it was Witnness but maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

The Strokes gig was pretty good. Pity it was at that ****ing dump, the Olympia.

Also, you could tell most of the crowd were just 'blow ins' and they kept deadly quiet during b-sides Ze Newie, Meet Me in the Batroom and When it Started (premsumably out of respect rather than that they didn't have a ****ing clue what these songs were).

I heard one eejit in the toilets who was asked by a friend"What's your fav song of theirs?" reply "Oh I like them all!", which I took as meaning "I don't even know the names of ANY OF THIER SONGS but it's cool to like the Strokes this week so that's why I'm here".

Don't ya hate it when everyone finds out about some half decent band?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭The Evil Monkey

i'd agree with u Pigman, it was hard to into those songs (Ze Newie, Meet Me in the Batroom and When it Started) when the rest of the crowd were being very unresponsive.
    And StrokesQueen, they were pretty drunk when being asked about the next concert! i don't think they'll play witnness but theres still a chance. i thought u couldn't go anyway? wouldn't it be better that they're not playing rather then playing and u missing them?

But...But.....But....

They're playing a few of the U.K. Festivals and Albert said that they're coming to one in Ireland.....We all assumed it was Witnness but maybe not.
    eh,
    no
    In a recent interview with The Hotpress (24th April 2002) Julian said :
    "we're going to take a few months off and work on some new stuff"
    and Nikolai said :
    "For the summer ,I think we have to work on more material because on the road it's very hard to create anything new.So we must take time off to do that.We'd love to do festivals because they're so much fun,but I think in the long run it would hurt the band.It'll be good to get back to a normal state of mind and way of life where we are going into the studio a lot and writing."

and finally Ryan said in a recent mailing list email :
    "-i don't think ANY thing will be going on this summer with the exception of
    some POSSIBLE dates in the US...WATCH WEBSITE FOR THOSE DATES! the soonest
    we'll get to do a REAL tour will be september or october-

i don't have ANY info on tour dates other than what i've just
    written...please don't e-mail in asking when we're coming to "so and so"
    because we just don't know right now......all that i know is THE BAND IS
    WRITING NEW SONGS! that's THE most important thing right now, and we MAY do
    a few shows over the summer in a few cities in the U.S. to try some of the
    new stuff out.... when i have that info, I'LL SEND IT TO YOU, DON'T WORRY
    *** "
    if you want to sign up to the mailing list to get info first go to :
    http://www.click2music.com/cgi-bin/forms/TheStrokes_EmailSignUp/show

also no new gig dates have been announced on www.thestrokes.com .

-so NO gigs during the summer except maybe in the U.S.!

yes it sucks,but at least we get a new album at the end of this year/start of next year!

Thanks for that, I read the Hotpress interview after i posted the message and that is indeed the case. I don't mind so much if it's what they need to do to create some more beautiful music!
    It's that goddam NME, they're so busy humping the Strokes' leg they don't even listen to what they're saying!

Evil Monkey, if the Strokes were announced for Witnness I was gonna start planning my escape from the Nazi camp! ;)

Originally posted by Pigman
    I heard one eejit in the toilets who was asked by a friend"What's your fav song of theirs?" reply "Oh I like them all!", which I took as meaning "I don't even know the names of ANY OF THIER SONGS but it's cool to like the Strokes this week so that's why I'm here".

Don't ya hate it when everyone finds out about some half decent band?

well how presumptive of you....

i quite like when people find out about a half decent band because theres more demand for them which is nice as it might lead to gigs, increased availability of cd's etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 morph1998

I have a wonderful self made cd bootleg of that gig, any takers??
    I made it for the girlfriend as she couldn't get a ticket but i ended up puting far too much time in to mastering it. I wonder if theres any come back for that hard work...

I agree the audience was very quiet during Ze Newie and MMITB, but maybe it was because these songs are brand new and very hard to get hold of?
    Also, I know it's annoying when you hear the poseurs trying to act like they're hardcore fans, but maybe the person really did love all the songs? After all, it is a KICKASS album!
    And morph, if the bootleg's free I'll take it off your hands no probs!! I'm BROKE!!
    :rolleyes:

S.Q. , the guy took less than 2 seconds before coming out with that non-specific answer.

Trust me, on the night, the fool was about as knowledgeable on the Strokes as Julian was on the benefits of sobriety.

Originally posted by Pigman
    S.Q. , the guy took less than 2 seconds before coming out with that non-specific answer.

Trust me, on the night, the fool was about as knowledgeable on the Strokes as Julian was on the benefits of sobriety.

LOL! That's a good one!
    And yes, it's annoying when I remember how I got up at 7.30 to make sure I got a Strokes ticket, to hear people saying, 'Oh yeah, I might as well go along' They need to appreciate the GENIUS!

Peace.

P.S. Pigman were you hangin around the Olympia b/fore and after the show?

• Advertisement

I (unfortunately) could only get a ticket for the circle so it didn't really matter when I got there. Hense I just stayed in some nearby pub getting pissed beforeghand and turned up around halfway thru Stereo Total(****e)'s set. Would have liked to have gotten down to the pit tho... it looked fun. I heard later Longwave was good too but ya know yourself the way "one quick pint" quickly turns into several :(

Advertisement