Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently Reading...2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Revelation Space by Alistar Reynolds.
    Hardfaced Sci fi noir.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Only a Game - Eamon Dunphy

Eamo's story of a season with Millwall in 1978. Its really very good, much better than I thought it would be. But if your not a football person I can see it being very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

My Boy - The Philip Lynott story

- By Philomena Lynott with Jackie Hayden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

American Tabloid by James Ellroy.

Mind blowing as usual..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

My Boy - The Philip Lynott story
    christ, it was very hard going at the end of that when she is talking about the last days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

A Journey Through America With The Rolling Stones, its seems pretty good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by PPC
    Just started War of the worlds on an iPaq.
    Found a site with loadsa free (legit) books.
    Where did you get them?

I'm currently reading: "Underground" - by Suelette Dreyfus on my Ipaq also. Someone on these boards recommended it to me a few days ago, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Very good story for the computer heads. ;)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

Book eight of the wheel of time series
    The Path of Daggers by robert jordan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

phobos: the "free books online" sticky thread has a few sites for downloading books.

My personal favourite is project gutenberg. Sometimes you can get an original format book (like I downloaded an original format Alice through the looking glass complete with scans of the wood-cuts). PG only does books that have exceeded their copyright life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Read Ben Elton's "Dead Famous" yesterday and quite liked it. Great if like me you've an interest in the Big Brother phenomenon but no interest whatever in actually watching it.

I do a reasonable line in whinging humour myself so really like Ben Elton's no-holds barred environment and economic complaining (before he mellowed and started writing crap musicals). See Lewis Black for more recent complaining.

I've Nick Hornby's "How to be good" and Jostein Gaardner's "Sophies World" (never got around to reading it) lined up for the next few days (but I won't be stuck in an airport with nothing to do so may take my time).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Isaac's Storm:The Drowning of Galveston by Erik Larson.

Tis about the almost total destruction of a booming Texas port in 1900 (if it hadn't happened it'd probably be one of the biggest American cities now) by a tropical hurricane. It takes the perspective of the town's meterologist. Absolutley fascinating, well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Revelation Space by Alistar Reynolds.

Ooh, that's an excellent book. The follow-up, Chasm City, is pretty damn amazing too... One of the most interesting science fiction authors I've come across since Iain M Banks, he's got the whole amazingly disturbed human nature thing that Banks does, only bonded with some really good hardcore sci-fi - which Banks has always lacked.

Personally, I've just finished reading Renegades of the Empire, a really well-written account of the rise and fall of the "Beastie Boys" inside Microsoft - the guys responsible for DirectX and Chromeffects. Fascinating insight into how MS works.

Torn between starting a few new things now, I've got Richard Tomlinson's book "The Big Breach" to hand but I'm quide keen to read Oddysey, which is John Sculley's autobiography... I'll probably end up reading them side by side and confusing myself horribly :)

Oh, and I'm gradually working my way through The Salmon Of Doubt, a compilation of Douglas Adams' writings; loads of short essays and so on which make excellent on-the-bog reading, and a surprising insight into an amazingly sharp intellect. Reading it makes me regret even more than before that I never got a chance to meet the man; I was due to interview him at E3 in 2001 about the forthcoming HHGTTG videogame, having been a massive fan of his books since I was a kid, and he died the week beforehand.

How inconsiderate, eh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Just Finished :- The Fog - James Herbert (Good $h!t)

Starting :- The Restaraunt at the end of the Universe - Douglas Adams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

The Tibetan Book Of Living And Dying - Sogyal Rinproche.

I strongly strongly recommend it to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Just started 'The Diamond Age' by Neal Stephenson. Seems pretty good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

'Reinventing Ireland' - edited by Luke Gibbons, Peadar Kirby and Michael Cronin.

It's a really insightful collection of essays examining the issues facing Ireland in the Celtic Tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Just Finished : Ernest Hemmingway - For whom the Bell tolls

Reading ATM : Jack Kerouac - On the Road

Next up: Hubert Selby Jr. - Last Exit from brooklyn/Requiem for a dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Last read "The Magic Engineer" on the plane to Spain.

Atm, tis LOTR Book 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

doors of perception/heaven and hell by Aldous Huxley

highly reccomended study into the effects of mescaline/lysergic acid and the metapysical effects of fasting and chanting.You will never look at gregorian monks in the same light again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Berlin: The Downfall 1945 by Anthony Beevor. It's about the capture of Berlin at the end of WW2. Fascinating read quite upsetting in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Goethe - "Faust Part Two"

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Terry Pratchett - Feet Of Clay / The Colour of Magic / Soul Music / Equal Rites...

Nothing I haven't read before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

angelas ashes - great book, very funny its probably the only book that ever got a chuckle out of me.

Unreasonable behaviour Don McCullin - another great book, its the autobiography of the war photographer, well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    Terry Pratchett - Feet Of Clay / The Colour of Magic / Soul Music / Equal Rites...

Nothing I haven't read before...

Same as that. If I never bought a book again I could just go on re-reading these.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

TP's 'Feet Of Clay' is truly amazing - My Favourite book at present.

I've read it multiple times and usually find it more and more hilarious with each go. Terry Pratchett is, simply put, a god.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

My read again and again is Good Omens, not only a Terry Pratchett book (Neil Gaimann co-wrote it) but his influence is seen throughout. Some of the funniest writing I have ever had the pleasure etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

nick leeson - rougue trader
    engrossing stuff

Advertisement