Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently Reading...2

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Im currantly half way through: D-Day by Stephen E. Ambrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by tman
    nick leeson - rougue trader
    engrossing stuff

Rouge trader, the rise and fall of a boots make-up assistant :D:D:D

[Apology]
    Sorry couldn't resist
    [/Apology]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Master & Commander by Patrick O'Brian. Not really got into it yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

lmao:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Originally posted by Winters
    Im currantly half way through: D-Day by Stephen E. Ambrose.
    If you like that, and are interested in American foreign policy, you might like to check out Rise to Globalism, co-written by Stephen E. Ambrose. It's a very well written and analysed history of US foreign policy since 1938 with up until the Gulf War Part One.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Irish Eccentrics by Peter Somerville Large.

Blood Electric by Kenji Sirator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

book three of the wheel of time(dragon reborn methinks) by robert jordan
    also Alice in wonderland by Lewis Carroll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I read a few books at a time:

Raymond E. Feist: "Shadow of a Dark Queen"
    Robert Heilbroner: "The Worldly Philosophers - The Lives, Times and Ideas of the Great Economic Thinkers"
    Stephen King: "The Shining"

Rather diverse I think! :)

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Currently reading "The Sicilian" by Mario Puzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

I'm reading Neuromancer by william gibson.

it's quite good, the words cyberspace and virtual reality were coined in this book.

it's set in the future and it's all about computer hacking!

check it out if you get a chance!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

This week I have mostly been reading:

The Crow Road by Ian Banks, for the 36th time. Dammit I love this book.

But mostly I've been on a Terry Pratchett binge for the last month, reading all the books, in sequence, yet again......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

never really got the terry pratchett thing...i've read some of the books but it wouldnt make me run out and get the others...

if ya like yer fantasy books i'd recomend the Shannara books by Terry Brooks...they're all brilliant...

right now i'm reading 'magic kingdom for sale, sold!' by terry brooks... i've only started it and its a great idea for a book...hope it lives up to the title :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Eeyore

Currently reading:-
    Otherland - Tad Williams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Author: Greg Bear
    Title: Vitals

A nice piece of work from Greg Bear who places this book not in the future but a very real now. He takes the new work being done by ocean, sub cell and bacterial biologist and extrapolates a pretty plausible story which consumes all mankind, the past and the fate of the biosphere. This is the ultimate conspiracy theory and not for the chronically paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Originally posted by plastic membrane
    Master & Commander by Patrick O'Brian. Not really got into it yet..
    I heartily recommend this - someone gave me this years ago and I've ended up buying all 20 or so books in the series... (currently about half way through third read of them). great stuff, but the slightly oldfashioned writing can be offputting at first - later you realise how perfectly it works with the subject.

Also read Fast Food Nation recently - read it...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cowlren

Just finished Atomised by Houellebecq , absorbing read, good insights in philosophy/quantum physics/microbiology all in an entertaining but sometimes drawn out and disturbing story line.

Reading Atonement by McEwan at the moment.
    He is an astounding writer, his discriptive vocabulary and phrasing truly sets him apart. Yet his books are still easy to read and engaging.

Just got a copy of the Alchemist cause I heard good things about it.

Master & Commander, borrowed off membrane now he's finished it. Is a good read, the oldfashioned writing is a bit offputting but nothing else to read so persisted. I assume that replacing "ct" with "x" in words ie connection is part of the writing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

connection and connexion are both correct. I would use connection myself... Nothing to do with the style, though I would imagine P. O'B. would have gone for the one more suitable for the period if it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

'Fast food nation' you never look at a hamburger the same ever again.
    pretty interresting :)

Moving on, have finished Master & Commander and enjoyed it. Well written not sure if I would go on reading any more of the series though.

Now onto Consider Phlebus, gotten straight into it, is very easy to read, keeps the interest up, so far anyway.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Turnip

Reading a compilation of short stories by Guy de Maupassant. Boule de Suif is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Crimes Against Humanity: The Struggle For Global Justice by Geoffrey Robertson QC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I amn going to be starting a new book from christopher brookmyre called A big boy did and ran away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Currently reading:
    "The autograph man" - Zadie Smith's brand new novel, only about 5 pages in but it looks as promising as 'White Teeth'

And I also have "Thinks" by David Lodge (A lot of blokey pretention so far, but still good) and "Prozac Diary" by Lauren Slater.

I always have at least two books on the go, is anyone else like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Fast food nation too
    what horrible bastids greedy fuks can be eh!
    very interesting
    planning on readin no-logo next

Advertisement