Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB Question

Options
  • 02-04-2002 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

This might be an utter newbie question, i'm not sure, but is there anyway to view the source code of a .exe file? I have looked up a few books on it and tried searching around the net for something but to no avail. Can anyone help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

short answer NO
    (unless u get some sort of decompiler its not possible)
    why do u want to do this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I think that up to VB5 the exes were compiled to p-code then executed with the help of the vb runtime interpeter (Vbrun500.Dll I think). There were progams around that claimed to be able to decompile them but I never tried any of em...

VB6 programs are compiled directly to machine code so I don't think there is a way to get at the original source ( afaik :) ).

- Spunj

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

There used to be a decompiler for old versions of VB EXE files
    I think it was for VB 1, 2, 3 and Maybe VB 4.
    It would decompile the EXE back to source.
    But I don't think one exists for the VB's on up to present.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Hmm i thought that this might be the answer. I have only been programming for the last few months and i thought it would have been interesting to view code from the different programs to see the interesting code in them, oh well :)

Advertisement