Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Software Development tools...

Options
  • 02-04-2002 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Last year in my Systems Analysis and Design (SAD) subject, we used an application whose exact name escapes me, but I knew it as SSADM with the SAD bit in the middle meaning the same as the subject name.

This software made it very easy to model data flow diagrams and entity relationship diagrams and fill in data about entities and so on, and I was wondering if anyone knew of anything free that would do the same job for either windows or linux.

I wouldnt say there is anything for windows, and I was going to post in the unix board but I reckon its a little more to do with program and that it still might be possible to get for windows.

Im not expecting a positive reaction to this, but if anyone has experience with anything it would be very helpful.

<edit>After doing a quick search I found a helpful acronym, CASE (computer assisted software engineering), and it is a CASE tool that I am looking for, it can be object oriented or not, its more the diagramming that I am looking for.</edit>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I did some work on the Texas Instruments Case tool. I think it was called IEF. Basically lets you model your data, process flows etc, create screens and it generated the source code and a compile exe.

you could try http://www.ti.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭CH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Nice one mate, exactly what I'm looking for (I think, havent tried it yet :)).

I was actually on that site last night and it looked a little too commercial so I didnt even look for a demo option, but with the link posted I had a bit of a sniff, and not only a demo version but a student version is offered at $100, a significant saving from $4000.

neway thanks a lot for that.

Im looking for other options if anyone knows of any other free case tools, theyve had experience with. But that is a super help.

/me downloads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭CH

you also have a PM to check Baz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

The only tool that I would use for software diagrams is called SmartDraw. SmartDraw can be used to many other things apart from software stuff, but it does have a whole library of software related diagram modules to work with. ie. DataStore objects, Processes, Entities etc...

The only thing is that if you are doing DFDs for example you can't define a link between parent and child processes, for quick jumping between the two. A feature that can be found in Select Yourdon for example.

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement

and might this application be free phobos, and if so where can I get it. That might be annoying not being able to jump from parent to child alright, but if its versatility makes up for it, it would be worth having a look at. ta for the info.

<edit> did a search for smartdraw and funnily enough it came up ;), lazy me. Thanks again phobos</edit>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

what about SELECT SSADM ??? we used that in Dundalk IT when i was there. pretty useful too. :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

for UML stuff for my third year project I used poseidon for uml comunity edition. www.gentleware.com

tis good.

Gav

Originally posted by Morphéus
    what about SELECT SSADM ??? we used that in Dundalk IT when i was there. pretty useful too. :ninja:

So did I that was the one I was talking about /me also went/goes to Dundalk IT. But I didnt know it was free? Ill have a search for that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

i don't think it's free...but rational rose is the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

ok this is off the topic but i went to DKIT also

Morphéus & Baz_

when were you in DKIT i was there 98/00
    Soft Dev

i was in dkit from 98 - 01, and at the moment am still registered there, though Im studying in Germany this year, and will more than likely be back next year. I was in Apps and support first though, in 98/99, then switched. Although I knew some people in Software Development it was mostly in the languages classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

wow.... thats cool.

i was there in '98, Software Development. Finished in '00. took a year out and did practicaly nothing now i'm in Tipp Inst. just finished 2nd yr. working now...

ahh well, thats my life story......

better stop wasting time and get back to work

any way it was great to hear from someone that was in DKIT

this post will prob be removed from the thread cos it has nothing got to do with it :cool:

Rabies

Advertisement