Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 games - Recommendations

Options
  • 02-04-2002 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

I got a Ps2 at christmas and i have 4 games but i need some more!

WWF smackdown was a big disappointment. the story mode sucked!

i'm bored of Fifa 2002.

GTA3 and MGS2 are brilliant games but i've played and finished them too many times.

i now have some money to burn and i want to know what existing ps2 games (or ones coming out in the near future) are worth a look at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Ace Combat rules :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

ICO (apparantly)
    Burnout
    SSX Tricky
    Freakout
    Rez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Devil May Cry is very stylish and quite good fun, if you can deal with all the silly interface things that were carried over from Resident Evil.

Jak & Daxter is probably the best platformer since Mario 64.

ICO is downright amazing.

Rez and Freakout are both cool, but I'd look for them in a bargain bin rather than paying full price - they're pretty short lived.

Final Fantasy X is out in the next few months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Roughty

Dead or alive 2 is very good and it has gone platinum so it is cheap.
    Airblade is good aswell.
    And Dropship is supposed to be good.

ISS Pro Evolution is a great game if your a footy fan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Roughty

O yeah and Half-Life is a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Gran Turismo 3 on budget for around €30. Bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rollo Tommasi

The new starwars starfighter is'nt bad either.
    Red Faction for multiplayer with your mates.
    Any of the madden NFL, seriously good fun.
    And if your into footie definately pro evolution soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭-RaY-

If u want a decent footy game get urself a copy of ne iss pro games it owns FIFA by miles not hard since FIFA sucks and get urself a copy of GT3 imo GT2 was much better with the 2nd hand cars and all that GT3 is also a lot harder so if u want some in depth gaming GT3 is ur call . HF GG PLD . Also try wat i found amusing in GTA3 is to get a couple of mates around and see who can snipe the most head shots b4 the pigs get to u =]

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Red Faction - Great FPS, fun split-screen multiplayer.

Grand TheftAuto 3 - One of the best games ever made on any platform. Period.

EA Sports F1 2001 - If you're into F1, of course. DO NOT buy the Championship Season 2000 version. Crap AI and unrealistic handling.

Star Wars Racer Revenge - Actually a lot of fun. Decent pod racer, albeit a bit on the short side.

Half-Life - See Red Faction.

Silent Hill 2 _ not as scary as the original, but creepy and challenging.

Medal of Honour Frontline - Not out until D-Day, but they have not made a bad Medal of Honour game yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

in the end i bought GT3 on platnium from play.com

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Dead or Alive 2 definetly. It's platinum but it's so good it feels like your playing a newly realeased game.

Final Fantasy 10 will be a legend of game when it comes out so get that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

Gta 3......I got it when it came out and its still entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Drunk pirate
    Gta 3......I got tit when it came out and its still entertaining

how did you manage to get tit? i've never got tit because of a computer game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Steele_Manheim

[You're a rude little man. Continue it and you'll be a rude, banned-from-this-forum little man. - S.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 snoop_dogg

right on. GTA3 is where it's at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr .Bungle

Whats ICO?

This is Ico: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45574

And this is Mugs' review of it on Eurogamer.net. He likes it almost as much as I do :) - http://www.eurogamer.net/content/r_ico

Originally posted by Steele_Manheim
    [You're a rude little man. Continue it and you'll be a rude, banned-from-this-forum little man. - S.]

[Watch your mouth. That's your second warning. One more and I remove you from the forum. - S.]

anyway. as i was sayin. all y'all are blowing it by not giving props to Hawk.

you all need to buy it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

You cant go wrong with Pro Evolution Soccer for your multiplayer needs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 snoop_dogg

yeah. soccer games are pretty cool.

but i got to give it up for FIFA. i love that game

Originally posted by Steele_Manheim

[Watch your mouth. That's your second warning. One more and I remove you from the forum. - S.]

anyway. as i was sayin. all y'all are blowing it by not giving props to Hawk.

you all need to buy it now.

watch my mouth what?

man, i was just giving a shout out to my man hawk.

nigga please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

"nigga please"?

Twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Boo

I was just going to post a new thread like this cause I am also looking for good PS2 games. Some cool suggestions here.

I'm currently playing Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance and it seems quite good.

Does anyone know any other good RPG type games, or perhaps good PS2 websites which might have like a top 5 games in each genre?

- Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Some good games for PS2 :

I have :-

Armored Core 2, its alot like Mech Warrior which I love so I enjoyed this game. Its damn hard though :/

Tekken Tag, its a classic everyone should have it.

Bushido Blade, there is just something about killing your opponent in a single blow + then calmly sheathing your sword without blinking, I love it anyway.

I rented MGS2 and I finished it in 11 hours, way too short for me but then I was a hard core MGS fan. Also the plot is just ridiculous to me. Trying to add twists and instead of making it more interesting it just gets stupid. The FMV's are awesome and the gameplay is great, but then its just simply more of MGS1, nothing changed, but thats nearly enough.
    I wouldnt buy it, rent it for two days, finish it, and move on.

I've never played this ICO but I'm going to look into it.

DOD2 is a definite. When I get the €40 together, I'm going to go get it myself, it ranks right up there with Tekken Tag imho. Brilliant game

GTA3, was excellent, its what GTA2 should have been. A definite must have.

Half-life, presumably because your on the internet, you have access to a P.c. its then reasonable to assume that you've played half-life on the P.c. just seems pointless to me. But then the multiplayer aspect of it is pretty cool but anyway.

Devil May Cry is a really cool game in my opinion. A bit short, only about 16 hours, gut not many cut scences ala MGS2 so it seems a bit longer. probably be my second choice.

A game I rented recently, and pretty surprised when I liked it was State of Emergency. When you start to play it your thinking, ick, what was I thinking, but its actually alot of fun. Its kinda like GTA, except no cars, and there is no real plot to take away from the beating up of innocent bystanders.

Summoner, I spent about 2 hours waiting to get to the actual summoning part and then was let down totally when I actually got to it. That said, I was saying to myself repeatedly for the first 45 minutes that " I hate this game" I still finished it for some strange reason. Couldnt have been that bad, all the same I'd avoid if possible.

Oni-Musha or somesuch is just crap. The story line is something along the line of evil demons have captured the Girl, you try to save her, get beaten up by the all powerful bad guys, are given powers by the disgruntled other bad guys, and attempt to get the girl back. After about 35 minutes I just had to turn off the playstation, I wouldnt go near it for a week afterwards, afraid I would catch something.

Dynasty Warriors 2, is pretty good also. Its completely different to dynasty warriors 1, in that its not a Street Fighter clone, but a regular beat'em'up. There is you and literally 1,000 or so bad guys for you to pound, slash, and kick the shíte out of. Hours of fun, but hours of repetitive fun. Hey if you like that kind of thing. I never did get around to finish it.

Shadow Memories, I'm not sure of the title, but it involves time travelling to the extreme. Its extremely confusing to say the least, and if you dont have at least a PHD in quantum physics your going to spend alot of time online trying to get a walkthrough. Still I did finish it (sense a parttern here)?

Thats most of the games for the PS2 that I have played, that I can think of at the moment. But something that alot of people seem to overlook is getting a cheap PS1 game + playing it on your shiny PS2. I got Final Fantasy IX but then I'm a big fan of the series. I love it and am enthusiastically awaiting FFX.

Also I really like Spiderman, Spiderman 2 and G-Police but there are too many PS1 games to really mention.

When buying a game you have the old catch-22 situation.

A) I rent a game from Xtra-vision or some such place. I get the game really, really like it. Because of this I play the game ALOT and finish it. So what am I buying it for?

B) I just go out and randomly buy a game, but what if its crap?

Me personally, I dont think I've bought a game in a while. I just rent games, and then I wait till they go platinum before buying it i.e. Dead or Alive 2.

Ivan
    At the end of the day its your choice, BUT go for the games I mentioned! :)

Steele_Manheim's access to this board has been removed as he doesn't seem to be able to control his unfortunate case of Tourettes Syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

memo to steele_manheims>>>>>>>>bye steele:p

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

although im only partially through ICO..(stuck on waterfall puzzle..
    ....any suggestions....cough...).....i have to say it is a rather
    remarkable game.the graphics are as good as seen on the ps2 as
    of yet,but where it truly stands out is the gameplay which is pick
    up and play easy with increasingly difficult puzzles.the atmosphere is also amazinging wandering through a castle and
    mostly without silly fmv sequences.
    as i said im only mid way through the game...it really is a breath
    of fresh air and a break from the usuall drivell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Boo

Maybe I should wait till I see some of the usual drivel so I can appreciate it heh.

Hrm, ok. I'm destined to be broke by the looks of things.

Boo hoo,
    - Boo

• Advertisement
Advertisement