Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An ad that made no sense whatsoever.

• 03-04-2002 2:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

I saw that orange ad where the fella is goin to work waving at everyone. Thing is, the sound was down. So all i saw was a guy waving to a load of people and then the orane symbol came up. I tell ya it didn't make a lick of sense!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

maybe you need to heed the advice of your signature more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Mmmmm, thats interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ads have'nt made sense since they stopped being about things and started being about feelings and such-like crap.

Peugeot ads being just about the worst!:mad:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Originally posted by joey D
    maybe you need to heed the advice of your signature more often.

Why don't you heed the advice of Tony Soprano and go take a........you.......son of a........... need i go on? :)

Ok so you didn't find it interesting. I'll go back into my hole and work day and night until i can think of something that might entertain you.

Guinness are terrible for emotional ads. They make sense but it requires too much thinking!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Peugeot ads are terrible. After watching one my 4 year old nephew goes "Mummy, whats 'something inside so strong'"?

• Advertisement

Peugeot ads are clear as a bell. Duh can you not see the link between prisinors painting on a wall and cars :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

...not to mention the age old link between blokes who were mauled by sharks and French cars... :)

rofl :D pld robbo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lara

Worst ad ever has to be the Halifax ads. Every time I see that guy singing that annoying song sitting on a giant swan, I want to stab myself through the eye. Or something less extreme.

Or something less extreme.

May i suggest changing the channel?

Oh yeah, does anyone remember that road safety ad with all the people going into the crusher? The "You wouldn't, would you....." one. Theres another prime example of ads that have no link to the subject and if the volume is down it could be advertising anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

um, both those ads made perfect sense to me and i saw em both for the first time with the sound down (football in the pub :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 phil_h

anyone see the guinness ad with all the guys climbing over eachother to see the secret of life through a hole in the wall. pure class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lara

May i suggest changing the channel

But sometimes the remote is just too far away to get to it on time... (whine whine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

What about the nikefootball advert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The latest batch of Guinness ads are particularly ****ing brainless, especially the surfing one - it leaves me cursing at the television due to the lack of continuity between a load of auld lads surfing and an image of a pint of Guinness. The 'believe' crap at the end doesn't win any points with me either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Originally posted by Sico
    The latest batch of Guinness ads are particularly ****ing brainless, especially the surfing one - it leaves me cursing at the television due to the lack of continuity between a load of auld lads surfing and an image of a pint of Guinness. The 'believe' crap at the end doesn't win any points with me either.

Then you won't like it when i tell you it was voted the greatest ad of all time by Channel 4 not long ago. Those Channel 4 bucko's sure are running out of things to vote for..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Sico
    The latest batch of Guinness ads are particularly ****ing brainless, especially the surfing one
    Isn't that an old ad?

Apparently there is a trend in the states to bring out old (as in 1970s) ad.s - save on the old promo budget after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by Robbo
    Peugeot ads are terrible. After watching one my 4 year old nephew goes "Mummy, whats 'something inside so strong'"?

Excellent :) Perfectly reasonable response, too. That Peugot ad is just the most transparently half-hearted example of a recent trend in advertising, which is to stop advertising the actual product and to instead advertise lots of human emotion and experience that we can relate to, and then chuck in a picture of the product itself almost as an afterthought but just enough that we're supposed to make the connection.

Example: Ever been late for a date, or missed an interview, or fatally overshot a runway while piloting a plane?? [cue picture of Swatch watch] Hint hint!

Or: a montage of human heroism - Martin Luther King, Gandhi, that yacht girl from last year, Martin Keown, etc.. followed by a picture of a Sun Microsystems server and the slogan "Because memory is precious" or something similarly offensive....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I think that this ad is pretty good. at least it is on topic. people playing football-thats pretty much it.

Those guinness ads, are pants. I remember the days when guinness ads where good. The one with the lads having to go back to the mainland to get a keg of guinness in the curragh is brilliant.

Originally posted by Spiffing

Is that the one where the scorpion is crawling into a boot? You know scorpions, football, that whole connection there :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

jesus Neil not that ad.

I meant the one in the big cage with Eric Cantona as the ref/announcer. First goal wins. I though that it was a pretty good ad. Showing off good skill and all that.

Advertisement