Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography forum/board

• 03-04-2002 10:53am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I would like to see what interest there would be in a photography forum/board, and if there is sufficient interest to request such a forum/board be added.

Could anyone who would be in favour add comments here.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 The Devil

I second that motion.
    Unless of course I am too new for my opinion to count (am I).
    I am an avid (but crap) photographer and would like somewhere here to get advice.
    www.boards.ie has everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

thats what the art /animation board is for.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

noone is too new to have their opinion counted. I like photography but I've never really been able to find the time to get into it.

I dunno how popular it would be, I mean... how many people will actually post pictures or whatever... I'd make the forum if I thought it wouldnt actually be a wasteland... lets see what sort of support people show for it here...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm like DeV. Always wanted to give it a go, but time/money considerations have stopped me. I'd be interested in seeing some people's photos, but as for demand........ Maybe an imalgamation with the Art/Animation Board, 'cos after all, photographs are considered an important part of anyone's portfolio nowadays (according to my arty friend). Of course, there would have to be very strict rules on posting pictures.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BigMac

Yes, I too would like to see a area specifically designated to photography. You would be surprised the amount of people interested in such a hobby. I am sure it would be a big hit.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

As a matter of interest, DeV, how many people would need to "second the motion" for it to be implemented ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Sounds like a nice idea. Seeing as i am waiting for my nice new Sony DHC-F707 digital camera to arrive ;)

I think it would be a good addition to the site, maybe limit the file size of photos that can be uploaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭incubus

I would support a photo board too, it wud be interesting to see wha sum talent and maybe even get coments on mi on pics
    good idea sam;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

I understand what you are getting at Figment.
    However, I think that if there is enough interest for a stand-alone photo board there should be one.
    As per my point in the thread on the art board, I feel that photography in itself is not wholly appropriate there.
    My reason for saying this is that although photography can be considered (at times) an art form, there are a lot of technical aspects to it also.
    I don't consider myself an artist, even though some of the images I have recorded do have some artistic merit.

Let's wait and see how many people back this proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It takes 5 users who say they would post actively to a board to make us think about creating one.
    In this instance I'd prefer too see it in the charter of the Art board and see where it goes from there for the moment, either that or some group of photographers on the net take it up as their discussion board.

DeV.

I'm not really sure I understand this charter lark.
    Maybe you could explain it to me ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

TBH, I think people rather then moaning for a new board should pick the board that bests suits them, then when the traffic picks up on that board then migrate to another.

The reasoning behind this is your going to dilute information very quickly. Before if I had a tech issue that I know was solved in a previous post I have to check across multiple forums to find it. At the very least allow a better searching :)

Another thing... if your going to create a community forum which may relate to a main forum, at least let the main forum know. I notice there is an Irish Everquest forum (noticed it by accident), think those EQ muppets would mention it on the RP forum. :) Although EQ is hardly RP'ing now that I think of it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

i must say that i think that its a brillant idea and people like me who have a keen interest in it can express ourselves amoung others who are interested add my name to that list ill post here often

Originally posted by Hobbes
    TBH, I think people rather then moaning for a new board should pick the board that bests suits them, then when the traffic picks up on that board then migrate to another.

I'm not moaning, I am trying to ascertain if there would be enough interest to warrant a photo board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭komsomol

i like that idea samson, ive been into photography for a good while now, i got some good photos on the middle east crisis.
    i think it would be good to use it for critique and for technical help or more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I think the Art/Animation board is sufficent at the moment, if people would only post.

Ok the forum has been renamed to Art/Animation/Photo
    (Figgy, you can leave your tagline alone, it wont fit :) )

Hope this makes everyone happy. Please adjust the charter (if you have one yet) to reflect this...

DeV.

I must say I'm a bit disappointed.
    However, it is a concession and I'm glad for that nonetheless.
    I was going to suggest maybe temporarily opening a photo board for something like a month to see how popular it would be.

What I will do now is try to promote photographic discussion on the art board and see what happens from there.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Taglines are generated automatically by a script I wrote anyway so whatever we change the names to goes in eventually... Unless someone can think of a better general name Art / Anim / Photo it is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement