Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

package names

Options
  • 03-04-2002 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

just curious. Are package names (c) ?

For example if I have java program which relates to ANT can I use the package layout that Ant uses? Or would I run into problems if I tried to release it on Open source?

.. just read that and it makes no sense here's an example.

I have a program X which has a package layout of...

org.xcorp.x.*

I write a tool which relates to that, is it ok for me to put it into..

org.xcorp.x or org.xcorp.x.mytool ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I've wondered that myself, I just came to the conclusion that it's bad programming practice. If I write something that's related to another product then I'll use:

com.mycompany.theircompany....

Using the same package name as them is bound to end in conflicts. It's easier to stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by Hobbes
    just curious. Are package names (c) ?

AFAIK no. It is recommended you use the naming convention on the Sun website to avoid conflicts tho. i.e. : If you're doing a package for www.vistech.com call it something like com.vistech.mypackage . Using conventions like that it's unlikely there'll ever be a conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

It's com.vistechsoftware actually :p

Who are you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

no1 :) A friend of mine did his work experience at Vistech and it was the first company to come to mind

Advertisement