Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Integra Type R

Options
  • 03-04-2002 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had the pleasure of owning of driving one of the motors. I am considering getting a jap import of one of these for under €10k from around 94-96. How do they go and they a good drive

Do they have the same power output as the official type R. I'm guessing so. How is the fuel consumption, I would imaging reasonable providing you don't drive in the VTEC zone too much

And of course the silliest question of, is it insurable, especially for a 24 year old named on a parents policy with 5 year clean license

Heres wishing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Originally posted by Mayshine

And of course the silliest question of, is it insurable, especially for a 24 year old named on a parents policy with 5 year clean license

Heres wishing

Check dem lotto tickets son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Hi Mayshine,

I commend you on your taste in cars ;)
    I drive the baby brother, the Civic 1.6 VTi and have driven the TypeR also. Fantasic drive, very precise.

1) The Integra is a drivers car. It was the most powerful normally-aspirated 1.8 litre car @ 187bhp (before Honda licensed their VTEC patent to toyota which they call VVT-i who has the Celica-190 1.8) but whats 3bhp between traffic lights :)

2) They dont come with a car stereo as standard. Emphasis is around the Vtec B18A2. Typical MPG from it is about 33 but in VTEC mode forget it...serious...

3) AFAIR they are Group14 insurance. Up there with your Impreza WRX and Celica. You will need to be taking it sideways from a director of Hibernian insurance in order to get insurance of any reasonable figure(unless of course you know someone in the insurance trade). The civic VTi is group13.

4) 94-96 Jap Imports are same as european for power-output. BUT they are unfortunately relatively easy to steal. I would not, for the life of me leave it out at night around town or anything.
    A definite requirement would be at least a clifford G4 on itwith an anchor-chain from a large sea-going vessel wrapped around the steering wheel. Alot of guy use snap-off steering wheels for improved security.

5) Dont really mod it. There isnt much out there for them anyways. Best left untouched. and DONT whatever you do put larger wheels on it. It screws it up beyond belief for performance, acceleration, etc. Even if you get the offset and tow bang on, it still wont matter.

Dont let this put you off...my advise would be to check around insurance-wise 1st before you get your hopes up. :(

HTH,
    J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Thanks for the info, just that sort of stuff I was looking for (except for the insurance :( ). I guess I will try and call a few places and see if the will even entertain me with a quote.

Assuming that I don;t get quoted has anyone got any thoughts on its smaller brother the bog standard 1.6.

fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

Do ya mind if i ask ya ure age and insurance history(no claims etc)
    Fella i know wanted to get either a Fto or Gto and because the were imports his insuance co wudnt quote him at all!

He was 40 yrs old with clean insurance hist.

Insurance is a killer for sure :(

The std Integra 1.6 is import-only, still thou, a nice car and responds well to an addition of a cold-air induction kit.

Majority of imports are silver which IMHO is the nicest colour they come in. Dont go for a four door as the chassis is noticeabily weaker and they dont look as good.
    Group 11/12 I think is what they rate as in insurance circles mainly because its a Honda and its a coupe. :tired:

I know 2 guys who have them and are very happy with them, never gave an ounce of trouble (well that is Honda in general).
    In my option, still a nice car.

Anyone else own one, views?
    J.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

if i had one id have to max it up ,make it look even sweeter

integra926f.jpg

integra926r.jpg

Odion,

If that 40 yo can't find insurance then I am well and truely shgged, coz I'm turing 24 in a month and have been on my dad company car policy for 5 years. I am trying to see if I can transfer any of the no-claims from that policy, but am not too sure how insurers will like that. Them being a shower of scum I'm sure they will stick their nose up at me.

Anyways the 1.6 is nice, but that Honda badge is a licence for them to charge what they like

Unless some magic happens I'll be sticking with the dart. I'll make a few calls an let you know what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

Regarding your insurance, your best bet would probably be with your current insurance company (gat a few quotes off other companies - AA are pretty good for quotes as they deal with more than one insurance company. that way you know what sort of prices you will be looking at.

rsa ain't to bad either, I am currently with them for my second year.

30 year old 50% no claims 13 years driving with no accidents driving a 1996 FIAT (AHEM but I do like them) Tempra 1.6 for 840euro a year by DD over the year.

Does someone have the Group insurance list?
    Or know where I could get my hands on a copy?
    cheers
    and good luck with your insurance.

Just a quick update on the insurance. I suspect that I'm going to wait until I am 25, a year from now. In that case I can get comp insurance on the type R fro less the 2k. I might ring a couple more places to see how they like 24 yos but better value is to be has in a year

Such is life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

hi mayshine, i own a 94 Dual Carb 1600cc Honda Integra Coupe. If you have any questions on it let me know. Its got Spoon struts front and rear. 16' BK racing 604s , Pioneer ICE, Mugen rear wing, Type R rear.

Lexus lights/Konig Mozart Exhaust/WWkit on the way

visit also www.eireann.org for tegger related info. my car is the silver one.

• Advertisement

Cheer ondafly

Going to have a look now

Also, on the subject is difference between the twin circle headlamped tegs and the single square lamps cosmetic. Does anyone know why there are two varieties

Cheers

the integra Pre 93 , had these square headlights, in 93, they re-did the styling and introduced the 4 circular style lights. In 96, the type R Integra was first introduced to the Japanese market, and the very early models were given the square headlights (as a nod to the past i guess) , sometime during 96, i think people stated they didnt like the new lights, and honda went back to the circular style. These remained until production ended I think in 2001. The new integra, or should i say RSX has square headlights, but if u look carefully, they are in circular housing, so i guess another nod to the past ;)

so to answer ur questions, its cosmetic! and to be honest the round lights are far nicer. you see loads of peope trying to imitate these , by stick plastic frames over their standard lights.

Nice one Ondafly,

This is what we need!
    You have been self-promoted to Integra Expert for this Forum seeing as you've undergone some nice mods there!

P.S> Where did you source the Spoon dampers? or where they on her already?

Cheers,
    J.

well everything on the car, is done after i bought it. it came with 15' AEZ, stock honda radio, stock speakers (yuck!), broken side mirror!, keyed down the drivers side. So i got my hands on the irish type R bumper. redid the head unit, redid all the speakers. got new mirror from honda (300IR ouch!), got the scraps fixed up , bloke sold me the 2 spoon antisway bars for a bargain at 75euro. got the 16' BKs also for only 500IR. Got clear side indicators. The wing is actually arriving on wednesday (so a wee lie ;) )

shortly i will be doing a site, which will hopefully help out people with regards to their honda imports. alot can be done for the dual carb engine, all quite simply i aim to to be an Oracle of Honda info :)

any questions welcome

Advertisement