Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The latest ADSL rumour

Options
  • 03-04-2002 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

hot off the rumour mill.

Apparently ADSL is being taken back from some triallists next week (the latest trial, not sure what exchange). This trial has already overrun its projected period, so its end could signal some sort of movement. This could be some indication of a readyness to roll out, or it could be nothing. again.

Anyone else heard anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I wish there was a rumour about dsl for Cork, anywhere in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Dustaz

Hmm, news to me, Dustaz. I know my three months are well up, but I have started to take it (DSL) for granted.. ;)

I've also - umm - got rid of my modem!:P

EDIT: I'm shocked ( :eek: ) to see someone nominated for modding this Forum spreading rumours!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

Apparently ADSL is being taken back from some triallists next week (the latest trial, not sure what exchange). This trial has already overrun its projected period, so its end could signal some sort of movement. This could be some indication of a readyness to roll out, or it could be nothing. again.

Jaysus, you mean my free ADSL is going, NOOOOOOOO....

Anywho, my minions tell me that (allegedly) ADSL was due to be launched mid-April, but is now being pushed back to end of April. Sales staff are currently being trained for selling ADSL. New installs, for business users anyway, will begin at the end of the month. Take this as the (un)official launch date...

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

*sob* - i was liking the whole free high speed internet thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Dunno if this helps - but I was talking to an Eircom adsl person (rather nice too, the nicest one I've talked to to date and he said:

"I can't give anything really specific, but things seem to be moving and hotting up around here - and word from this side of the world is that progress is being made, so I suppose it's just a matter of time."

Like I said, nicest person I talked to so far :P alot of them people are really impersonal and sound like they want you off the phone now - but this guy was talking fairly casually whilst retaining professionalism - so I was rather satisfied and felt some form of confidence when I hung up...longest analysis of one or two sentences ever eh?

I really do hope things are moving. I'm praying for adsl in summer, because my bills rocket up around then :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I know its useless for a waterford man praying for DSL by summer, so I focus my hopes on dublin getting DSL, once that happens, surely flat-rate internet will follow soon after... right? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I dunno whats wrong with me? I used to get excited when posts like this appeared on the forum, but now i'm feeling nothing ....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ando
    I dunno whats wrong with me? I used to get excited when posts like this appeared on the forum, but now i'm feeling nothing ....

You're getting realistic (and that's maybe not such a bad thing)

Bad Mountjoy Mugger, getting rid of your modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Beastie Boy

Wouldn't I love to cerimonioulsy set my modem on fire or fling it off the top 3 rock Mountain.

I am near the Foxrock/Leopardstown exchange- Anyone know anything about these- Are they upgraded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Well last time the trials were withdrawn they were due to launch pretty soon after, mine was withdrawn late september and rollout was meant to be late october so.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I normally don't respond to rumours, but all signs are pointing to a rollout real soon now. Don't know where, don't know when...

<everybody>

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

A rollout with a price above €100 euro is pretty much a given, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Rollout above €60 is a given, probably €70 and if you dont want the ****ty caps then yes, you'll have to go above €100, by a considerable amount probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

says who, jorin?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Yes I did hear from a good source that something was likely to happen in the very near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 keithwhir

this is realy good news, but when will adsl get to galway and the rest of the west . and is there any alternative from adsl apart from lagy vsat ?? ( i dond mean to be advertising but a friend of min started a music web site so if u get a chance give it a visit http://www.sxira.cjb.net/ )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

this is realy good news, but when will adsl get to galway and the rest of the west

The players are keeping this information pretty close to their chest.

and is there any alternative from adsl apart from lagy vsat ??

Not at that price level, no.

i dond mean to be advertising

Then don't.

adam

just at a wild guess, when do you think waterford will get upgraded to ADSL?

A few people I've spoken to claim that once dublin and some other areas get upgraded, rates will fly down, opening up a possibility for flat rate national internet...can anybody tell me if this is true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ketski

Is it worth applying for adsl when it comes out, if you failed the line test for the trials. Or were those "tests" just a way to limit the number of people on the trials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Afaik theres still exchanges to get tested, they did list aload before they released any adsl and said they would be upgrading these in time, they started the adsl and upgraded some exchanges, the period ended they upgraded a few more for tests and now this is ending. Id say they will just upgrade a few more for testing.

• Advertisement

arent we all getting a bit too excited here? I mean, I'd jump for joy if dsl was released in Ireland, but we all know how these rumours often turn out, especially when eircom rears its ugly head...

Advertisement