Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Djs]-Trade the names of your favourite tunes

• 03-04-2002 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Right,

Yes indeed this was a well needed board, and welcomed by myself. :)

In my college (GMIT) I setup a DJ society around Christmas, and slowly but surely the members have been increasing in numbers. One of the things I like about the club is that it gives DJ's a chance to get the names of some class tunes (or to be just made award of their existence really). I think this is important because there is so much cheesy tripe, and general rubbish out there, and selecting the wrong tunes isn't cost effective.

So what have you heard down the years that has caught your attention, either playing it in a club, or being privilaged to go nuts along side it on the dance floor.

I'll start

Funky Tribal House
    Anything either by Chab or rmx'ed(E.g. Mattica, Instinct)
    Sub Tone - Trio
    Peace Process - Forward
    DJ Nukem also does good stuff
    Taiko - Silence
    Laurent Garnier - The man with the red face (This isn't tribal, but it's a pure classic)

Hard Trance
    Red Devil - Proximity
    Tenth Chapter - Ghosts
    Grinder - Runaway

That's just a few, coz I want to see what kind of feedback we can generate first.

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Well the songs on my list are pretty new.

Trance
    King of Clubs - Revelation
    Arakis - Aira Force
    Ramirez - Hablando

These are my fav tunes atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

[-=RaVeN=-] my good man, how long are you Djing?

When I started this thread I was looking for people to share tunes that Dj's would play, not the same 'ol tripe they release on Gatecrasher Experience (for example).

I don't mean offense, but surely someone around here can list some of their all time favourites, or even new tunes. TBH I have never known a compilation CD to have anything up those standards. Everything on those disks passes through Top 30 hits at some point. Actually it's the kind of stuff that "A chart Dj getting a little rebellous" would play, lol ;)

Come on people...

another one would be Space Frog - "Follow Me", not the remix that's recently out on Tripoli, but the original one from years ago. "Children of the night, step in to the light, follow me..."

Tis a good tune :), and always goes down a storm in a club. Also I find some of the more groovy leftfield tracks is good too, to throw in the middle of a set, to wake them up a bit.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

ive been djjng for a bout a yearish in the Tunnel in Oldcastle, Co.Meath hehe :) we boast DJ Stephen Cooper as our resident on Fridays nites :D hehe..ive lost in touch with my music tho :( work bleah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

elephant song [afx]
    crispy bacon [laurent garnier]

they are the ****.

*BOOM BOOM BOOM*
    durty turkey.

Busted by the Guvnors..."come up with ur hands out immediately, put the gun down!" hehe :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

How hard is it to get into DJing?

I'm into mainly House/Trace/D&B stuff and know alot of class work in the area.

i think as long as u got a good ear for music then ur pretty much setup :) as long as u set urself up with some decks and experiment with that :) thats how i started and played with alot of music software..i learned from Stephen hehe :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

[-=RaVeN=-] my good man, how long are you Djing?

I'm not a dj i just like dance\electronic music. Also is there any good trance songs that aren't so mainstream as the ones i posted earlier? or any dj's i should look out for?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

MadRadio, 93.2 FM Dj Darren B plays good tranceon his sets, he does thursdays 7-9 I think is the right time, not too sure about what time he starts at... could be 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 wiredtothemoon

surely someone around here can list some of their all time favourites

ok here goes

techno:

ignacio - organa
    alex k katz - seek + destroy
    ignition technician - system exclusive, 2 crippled heroes
    leo laker - cannon steps
    trapeze artists - fundamental
    pounding grooves - speedbase EP ( + any of the numbered)
    kijitora - butterfly control
    disx3 - autocycles
    ben sims - remanipulator
    samuel l. session - chanting

other stuff -

infected mushroom - psycho
    morphem - hypnotone
    warmduscher - auf die fresse
    cosmic trigger - firefight
    nick k vs kid vicious - pants down spanking
    S.U.N. project - computer breath
    prana - scarab
    the delta - as a child i could walk on the ceiling
    solar quest - acid air raid
    spirallianz - blast food
    tarball & lungbutter - **** in my pocket

can anyone (perhaps based on the above) recommend me some good tunes, in particular new stuff as im a bit out of touch with new releases

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

can anyone (perhaps based on the above) recommend me some good tunes, in particular new stuff as im a bit out of touch with new releases
    Get your hands on Katana - "Rubadubdub". About it min in to it, it really starts to kick. Class tune, has worked wonders for me. A tad progressive though.
    Also is there any good trance songs that aren't so mainstream as the ones i posted earlier? or any dj's i should look out for?
    Get yourself Red Devil - "Proximity", I think I mentioned that one in my initial post. Tis probably my favourate trance tunes ATM. Actually Red Devil, have done some wicked stuff in the past year or two. You should be able to get their stuff on audiogalaxy if it's just for yourself.
    How hard is it to get into DJing?
    I have people asking me that all the time. Djing to me is all about having a good ear for music, and most importantly rhythm. My Mother is a music teacher, so music kind of runs in the family, with my brother playing Drums, Acoustic/Electric Guitars, and what ever else he can get his hands on ;). I don't play anything though (but it all helps). To a lot of people, Djing is just being able to use the equipment. That my friend is so far from the truth it's amasing. A lot of people think it's easy, but they are looking at it from a different perspective than the person who is up there on the decks. A lot of people change their whole pespective on Djing, once they have a go for themselves. You could start practicing Djing by simple listening to some tunes and start tapping your hand along to the beat. Start counting the beats in your head (1, 2, 3, 4, 1...), and after a while you will be able to tell when certain bits kick in/out/whatever. Get to know the the tunes you play inside out, I wouldn't recommed throwing a tune you have never heard before in to one of your sets. It happened me (somebody handed me a CD, in a gig I was doing before). I was half locked at the time, and wasn't the bloody CD scratched about half way in to the tune. A bloody dissaster, so I've learned from my lesson (don't drink while Djing, and don't listen to muppets that try and get you to play their latest and greatest). "Ah Man, ploi diz will ya", fukkin gurners, lol ;)

wiredtothemoon, I will think of some more tunes for you. But you know yourself when someone asks you what's good ATM, your head goes blank.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Von Irish

Has anyone heard Dave Clarke Live@Fuse. Top Class!!!

Also:
    Laruent Garnier
    The Sound of Big Bobu.
    Dave Clarke
    Just Ride.
    Fergie
    Teknoise.
    Dave chambers(John Carter on the edit)---Flex an'Relax.

All Excellent!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭theone

seen a few trance nd hh posted their so i'm not sure if theres ne house heads about but i'll post it ne way.
    heres a few of my favs at the mo
    a top ten if u will
    1.Mood II swing ft carole sylvain closer (dj behrouz mix)
    2.Dj kemit "song in may"
    3 alex moran jama qymnastics
    4.random factor without you (inland knights remix)
    5.Justin martin (snow day)
    6 skylark 'shout'
    7.dj pierre ft champagne "sometimes i feel"
    8.danny howells ft dick trevor( yes he does vocal house aswell)
    9.dj gregory joburg theme
    10.tiga pleasure from the bass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

well theres a sticky thread at the top of the page called "tunes" - i post everything i buy every week in there with a quick write up and a review. its all drum and bass though... :thumbsup:

my top ten for this month however would be:

1. breakage - stoneheart - [bassbin promo]
    2. calibre - p*ssed up ravers - [revolv:r promo]
    3. version - spice - [bassbin promo]
    4. calibre - mr maverick - [signature] [quite possibly tune of the year]
    5. dillinja - the box - [ltd white]
    6. capone - massive - [hard leaders repress]
    7. digital and spirit - ras 78 - [function]
    8. loxy and keaton - haters - [renegade hardware]
    9. cartridge - light cycles - [freak]
    10. roni size - strictly social [nu-tone remix] - [liquid v]

not big on drum nd base to be honest i do have a few of roni sizes productions though ,but other than that i wudnt know the genre at all.

have a look a few pages back there was a thread called jungle, i posted links to a whole load of mixes, should be a pretty good indication of where its been and what its doing..... and read that new tunes thread i post stuff in it evey week. you can check out www.breakbeat.co.uk for all the new releases and streams of live sets etc. :thumbsup

cheers i'll check them out
    Breakbeat is completely diff to drum nd bass isnt it,i like breakbeat meself atomic holligans remix of born slippy was pretty good nd mara's alcatraz give me luv remix was pretty good too but i'm gonna stick with 4x4 house is where it's at imo.

Advertisement