Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good show off songs

• 03-04-2002 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Ok guys I need your help......Ya see i'm a good guitarist but all my friends don't think it. What I need is a really cool song (not just all barre chords) I'm talkin' solos! Please tell me a song!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr .Bungle

Well what sort of music you into? To be able to play a solo you have to know it inside out so there is no hesitation and you know the rhythm of the song. I've just finished learning most of the solos from whiskey in the jar and it takes time and a lot of ****ing patience. Before i even tried to learn any of it i listened to the song 5 times over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

Yeah I have the whisky in a jar tabs I forgot I had em...Also I can solo I can do entersandman solo and everything else-and into stuff like redhotchilipeppers, alkaline trio, andrew w.k. metallica-that sorta sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

Sweet child of Mine :- G N' R
    One :- Mettalica
    Cherub Rock :- Smashing Pumpkins

WHy dont you go to romania smart arse?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wait a sec, you can play the solo of enter sandman but your friends think your ****e? Either your mates are deaf, your mates are angus young and jimmy page or you are bull****ting us an that solo.

Learn some led zeppelin songs, the solos are tricky but possible with practice and if perfected they sound great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Here's a cool site with some tabs and midi. Check out the licks page and learn the Paginini Caprice (as 'ripped off' by Steve Vai with Eugenes Trick Bag and 'borrowed' by Thomas Brunkard)

http://w1.211.telia.com/%7Eu21111770/

Learn that and all the ho's n bitches will be beggin at yo knees!

• Advertisement

I can play enter sandman my friends just wont abmid that i'm good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

DONT go for the usual fret w@nk songs like One and SCOM
    Try something a little harder!
    Slash does some nice, slighty beatskipping stuff on Bad apples.
    But the best stuff you can do is to improvise.
    Learning modes will open up the fretboard for you, so you can play one type of solo and change the mood of the song completely by going into a adjacent mode. (modes are like scales except they show you ALOT of the postions the same lick or run can be play from, and help you transpose lots of differents solos over them)
    DON'T HAND TAP. It ruins many a guitarist and again is just Fretw@nk. Thow one in there by all means, just don't linger on them.
    Actually SCOM is a good solo to learn because of the Em pent. which can be dissected and made into loads of solos, but again using pentatonic scales can ruin a man if you don't learn modes to compliment iy. If you play the SCOM solo once, you'll keep getting asked to! And it's a pain in the ass

I finished the whisky in a jar and it's easyer than I thougt so now i'm gonna try out sweet child o'mine-I SAID TRY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Do try SCOM. It's quite nice and easy including the solo, which is also fast. And the most important thing is that chicks really really dig it, mainly because its one hell of a Guitar song, and its a sweet ballad ( AAAAwwwwww! ).

Stuff what your mates think its what the chicks think thats important!

Yeah-ok I get your piont scom is qiute easy too which is wierd too coz i've only been playing guitar since summer 2000. a year and a quarter mayby

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

www.Guitartechniques.com
    That magazine's your only man!
    :cool:

HEY I'M NO FREAKIN' NEWBIE!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr .Bungle

Drunk Pirate unless your friends happen to include Steve Vai and Dimebag i severly doubt that they aren't impressing by the Enter Sandman solo. Which leads to me to believe you either can only play it **** or not at all....

My friends are d!ckheads they just wont admit it

Jesus people are going on like enter sandman is the hardest solo in the world. If your friends aren't guitar players or your playing it shít they will probably not be impressed, unless they know the solo or have heard it multiple times. Play it in front of a good guitarist and ask him to tell you if it's good.

I did and it's not that hard my friends are just really dumb one of em is a guitarist but he's ****e

Well you shouldn't feel that you have to get the approval of others, even though it is nice to :)

Yeah it's feels really great to get a comment....well-uh.my mommy sais i'm cool:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I'd advise you not to show off in such a way that you think your really good (I'm not saying your crap or anything), I just know a guy in school that does it (not just with guitar but everything else ie. Basketball, thick neck etc. :)) and everyone has grown to hate him.

Just play for your own enjoyment, not others! Mellow out, dude!

In fairness to tapping it can be used for the forces of good! Brian Mays Bluesy taps in 'Its Late' and Daft Punk's 'Aero Dynamic' are tops.

Finger Taps can be used to great effect in chordal work too! More on this in my soon to be uploaded column on www.gigsmartireland.com

• Advertisement

Actually you can do Aerodynamic with a "inverse bar"
    Where you bar with the right hand and to pull offs with the left, crossing your hands.
    I do this as my "party piece"

Another little show off trick.
    Try playing this as fast as you can, and keep repeating it.

e--8p5p0----
    B-----------
    G-----------
    D-----------
    A-----------
    E-----------

play with only the fretting hand.
    This leaves the other hand free to drink beer.
    OR
    Do it behind your back and drink beer through a straw!

The only reason I was looking for a good show of song is because they say i'm **** (but they never heard me and think i'm full of crap). I just was prove em wrong

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Hey!

im a newbie guitare player, i have one for the last 3 years, i know 4 chords :(

I dug it out and dusted it off the other day, im getting it restrung and tuned this week, and im gonna start over. :)

Whats the best way? I can read and write music from my old piano days, i can read tab. Do you recommend

1. Lessons
    2. Self teaching?

if self teaching what are the best resources out there?

Ta, your help is greatly appreciated!
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Hey!

im a newbie guitar player, i have one for the last 3 years, i know 4 chords :(

I dug it out and dusted it off the other day, im getting it restrung and tuned this week, and im gonna start over. :) Its an acoustic classic guitar, im gonna get a cheap electric too soon, just to start off with.

Whats the best way to being properly? I can read and write music from my old piano days, i can read tab. Do you recommend

1. Lessons

2. Self teaching?

if lessons? how many and how much are they?

if self teaching what are the best resources out there?

Ta, your help is greatly appreciated!

:rolleyes:

Lessons are the best way cos you can't ask a book questions or rely on the web to supply accurate tabs for obscure (and indeed popular) tunes.

I'd recommend emailing brunkard@hotmail.com for lessons in Dublin 8 at only €15 a shot!

Learn all the chords you can.http://www.wholenote.com has loads of stuff on it. I'm self thought, but you could probably learn quicker from teaching. whatever you want to do is your own choice, it doesn't really matter that much.

Advertisement