Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tg4 missing the point?

Options
  • 04-04-2002 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

why do we millions on an irish speaking tv station and yet igore the fact that millions of irish people can't speak it.surely it would make sense to have a programme akin to what the bbc do for their foreign language courses.

tg4 missing the point? 17 votes

tg4 should introduce an learning programme
    0% 0 votes
    tg4 should not
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 blue moon fever

why dont they put irish subtitles on english speaking programs, then we could learn the writen language as well as the spoken, although most of us struggle with english at the best of times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

ah do ye not remember that great irish learing programme 'now you're talking'.......a classic..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Helped me so much when I was in school (I am not that old by the way just my mam had the books at home).

I don't get why we always have to learn the Written lanuage.

I aways felt the problem with Irish schools was that it was all about learing to write the lanuage. This is the reason we come away from school with a hate of any language, forget about the rules until you can say something like "I go now" or "I student of english" as the french and spanish do in when they learn english.
    It was the same with learning french in school and all I came out with was a junior cert pass C oh and "Malahusment" (Unfortuntaly i cant spell).

I have a good knowledge of the spoken language while i am not that good at the written language.

I learned to speak english before i could write it.

First we should learn to speak the lanuage then write it, as we do that with our native lanuage.

Its easier to learn how to read and write a lanuage when you can speak it.

Is Maith Lion An Teanga Gealige, agus ta TG4 an mhaith ar fad.

If you did Irish in school and you watch TG4 after awhile it becomes easier to speak and understand.

TG4 is not a service to learn Irish It is a service for Irish Speakers and they do that well.

however they should give us something to learn from, it is a pbs after all (RTE do it with Read, Write, Now which was very successful)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i'm not the best Irish speaker. in fact i have very little compared to what i had for my Junior Cert. TG4 should introduce a learn to speak Irish programme. it is pointless having a channel that a lot of the population don't understand. they could show it in the morning when Euronews is on and anyone who is interested could record it or even watch it when it is being broadcast. maybe even instead of English language programmes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Originally posted by blue moon fever
    why dont they put irish subtitles on english speaking programs, then we could learn the writen language as well as the spoken, although most of us struggle with english at the best of times

Absoloutly brilliant idea, perhaps I might send them a formal lettter type thing informing them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

maybe they cant do fada's in teletext subtitles... I dunno...

personally I really like the way they've done the dubbing on shows like Muppets Tonite ... nice job there, tg4...

but yes- I agree, - more shows on the actual LEARNING of the language would be hugely beneficial on the station and would add to it immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

B'fhiú litir ríomhphoist a scríobh chuig Cilian.Fennell @ tg4.ie, Ceannasaí Clár.
    It would be worth sending an e-mail letter to Cilian.Fennell @ tg4.ie, Director of Programmes.

Advertisement