Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DivX to Mpeg-1

• 04-04-2002 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any program that converts Divx files to Mpeg 1, i want to be able to play my movies on my DVD player

Bomb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Afaik Nero burns VCD's and SVCD's from avi's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

From my experience, this isn't as cut-and-dried as it appears - depending on what's being used to decode them, some software calves on certain DivX movies; this seems ("seems" = looks like, based on my observations, before anyone corrects me) to hold particularly true for videos encoded with a variable bit rate (VBR) rather than a constant bit rate (CBR) video stream.

Try Nero. Alternatively, try TMPGEnc (throw it into google, you'll get a Japanese address) with the "PAL VideocCD" or "NTSC VideoCD" settings loaded (should you want VideoCD, which I presume you do, as there's no advantage in converting a DivX to AVI to watch it on a computer unless it's a Mac or something)

Basic summary: it appears to me that some will, some won't; when it didn't work for me I recompressed the video using a lossless codec (Huffyuv - google again) within Virtualdub (.org) and threw that at the compressor. As a warning, though, this requires many multiples of the size of the original file in free disk space.

Also, bear in mind that if your target is V(ideo)CD, a VCD will only store a little over an hour (I think it's 70 mins) of video; so you may want to split your video into pieces if it's longer than that.

Happy encoding...
    Gadget

Advertisement