Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS development

• 04-04-2002 2:09pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, i dont want to know if you are selling me something.. :tired:

Basically my company wish to connect a mobile phone to a pc that is running an application, when a certain event occurs in the application, it will alert someone by sending a text message thru this mobile we have connected to the computerm, to another mobile.

Does anyone have any sites they know of that talk about this, it will probably be nokia phones, Im basically looking for research resources on sending SMS messages from a PC thru a connected phone.

Can anyone help? has anyone out there tried this? :surprised:

thanks for the help if you can give any.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

do you want information on programming [how to make your program talk with the mobile] or on actualy connecting the hardware to the computer. i have seen programs which do this they sent messages to system admins to allert them of network errors[but there names escape me at the moment] ill have a look around 4 some sites

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

basically u have a program running unattended on a server, if say an email comes in, or a system error occurs we would want the application to be able to send an SMS to someone to inform them.

We so far are going to connect a mobile to the server machine using a serial cable, now were going to use nokia's connectivity suite to allow the application (a VBasic program) to connect to the phone, and when needs be send it a message, which it will forward on to an SMSC and then onto the targets mobile phone.

We wanted to know was there any other way of doing it?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

linux program called gnokii will also do this. Can write a script to just sit there polling the phone and when it recieves a message, parse the message and send off a new one via gnokii again.

www.gnokii.org

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Morphéus
    We wanted to know was there any other way of doing it?:confused:
    You can do the same using a GSM modem and AT commands, but that's much the same thing as your Nokia/Serial port system.

Otherwise you can connect to an SMSC, generally using SMPP, but that will cost (or you'll have to do so illegally). There are a few SP out there who'll let you connect using HTTP too, but once again that'll cost you, or if free be highly unreliable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

thats good, but unfortunately were making a windows based application, we dont use linux :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Verb
    linux program called gnokii will also do this.

gnokii does much the same as nokia's connectivity suite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

SMS Centre (http://www.desoft.co.uk/) lets you send SMS messages from your PC by dialing up a message center
    number via your modem (it doesn't have to be a mobile phone).

It has a thirty day trial, after which registration is €42.

I have used it to be activated from the command line when a certain service is down.

Ronan

Advertisement