Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first timer to the ISPS...

Options
  • 04-04-2002 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭

would anybody be kind enough to pojnt me to a worthy ISP out there?
    i live in cork
    i heard oceanfree+IOL give free cds(where do you get them?)
    i have esat fusion home phone so esat is the way to go?

i was looking at eircoms hi speed(yeah right!) and ADSL,,way out of my range!
    i just hope like ye all that we get a flat rate and a broadband rate introduced also..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

As far as i know u can get alot of them cds free with pc mags...u can get iol or ocean cds in any petrol station or shopping centre..or just visit the sites oceanfree.net or iol.ie and download the dialer software

i use elivefree its the most reliable ive used/seen :)

EliveFree

Have a look and get back to me if ya have any probs or questions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭butch9850

is it just using a dial up number you type in?
    do they support V92 modems?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Yep, elive is by far the best free isp.

You just type in the username, password and phone number given on their website.

No Irish isp supports V92 yet afaik.

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

^ And unlikely that v92 will be supported in the near future. Took the ISPs enough time to make the move to v90 (which had more obvious advantages over its predecessors). Would be handy though, both for uploading and for the call waiting feature

Your modem will be able to drop back to v90 though without any hassle (obviously can't say for definite without knowing what make it is but it should do it automatically without any input from you)

Making no real judgement call on the ISP due to good suggestions already having been made. Personally find Eircom poor due to slow connection speeds (even in the city centre of Limerick) so I stick with IOL (no limits and local number) and sometimes UTV Internet. IOL discs are available all over the place, UTV will post out a disc on request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Eircoms cd the number of people that ive had to fix their connections because the cd dialed their central server and not connected next time they try to connect the bloody blue screen pops up It tries to blame your modem because it couldnt connect last time.I say just get your local numbers and do it manualy alot safer and it stops them messing with your settingS like eircom/ocean ect as your homepage and god knows what else.

Stone

• Advertisement
Advertisement