Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

link of the week - shutsellafield

Options
  • 04-04-2002 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

i recon every1 shud check this site out its the link of the week on the Phantom home page, the name speeks 4 itself:

http://www.shutsellafield.com/abt_camp.htm

ps does ne1 no what the story is with that big ass fire in dublin port. i can c it out my window. it looks pretty hardcore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I visited and send them an e-mail telling them to wise up!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I visited and send them an e-mail telling them to wise up!

You wont be saying that when a nuclear reactor explodes and the wind is unfourtunately blowing in our direction and kills us all living near the Irish sea and makes a large chunk of Ireland unhabital forever.

Sellafield pump loads of nuclear waste into the Irish sea every year, making it the one of the most radioactive seas in the world.

The reactors in Sellafield were only built to last about 20-30 years and they have past this date years ago and are still operating.

Many other methods of making electricity that could be used instead of nuclear fuel, that are more enviormentally friendly.

Why should Sellafield continue operating when it is such a treat to the Irish and Scannanvian people/enviroment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

all cool and worthy of support my only misgiving about the whole thing is that 2 of their "celebrity supporters" are Louis Walsh and Ronan Keating... I suppose that musical villany does not preclude political decency though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

you konw nuclear is one of the cleanest enegry forms..it's just that sellafield is a joke..it's over 10 years out of date..and we get the fallout if any shít happens
    sorry but that REALLY písses me off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Vladimar

I'm known for not putting any effort into anything much at all;

But i do clearly remember being told that sellafield is a reprocessing plant, and doesn't actually produce electricity, in fact it turns radioactive waste into glass, which is then stored deep underground.

Sellafield being attacked by a hijacked 747 - while disastrous that would be - is hardly the apocalyptic scenario people are led to believe. The fact that it's not even a likely target doen't seem to have crossed the minds of many people, the al-queeda (**** spelling) network is quite thouroghly defunct as far as i can see, and with all the intense paranoia surrounding airlines, power plants, anyone that looks vaguely arabic, any attampt to graffiti the place would be stamped out at birth.

To be honest, if there is any more terrorist attacks on 'the west', it's not going to be anything we've anticipated, airlines are old news my friend, and so is sellafield.

Maybe it's time we started thinking like the terrorists, where would you make your' next guerilla strike?

Again, I rarely put in any effort, this is all off the top of my head.

Happy hunting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Shut Em Down!

Bomb

The only people who'll shut Sellafield down are the British government, not Irish anti-nuke hoards!

If Sellafield were in County Mayo and employed 10,000 do you think the Irish government would close it because British peeps
    sent postcards? They would be told to mind thier own business.

Also why no campaign to shut down La Hague in France or is it just a Brit-bash exercise?

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

Originally posted by Vladimar
    Sellafield being attacked by a hijacked 747 - while disastrous that would be - is hardly the apocalyptic scenario people are led to believe. The fact that it's not even a likely target doen't seem to have crossed the minds of many people, the al-queeda (**** spelling) network is quite thouroghly defunct as far as i can see, and with all the intense paranoia surrounding airlines, power plants, anyone that looks vaguely arabic, any attampt to graffiti the place would be stamped out at birth.

i think you're kind of missing the point. just because the al-qaida (again, spelling, meh) are essentially defunct, it doesn't mean they can't regroup and strike again. but yes, the chances of them getting a plane and attacking sellafield is extremeley remote, but does the word chernobyl mean anything at all to you? accidents happen. apparently there was an accident (or a close call) a couple of years ago, but it was all nicely covered up. and just because it's a reprocessing plant, doesn't mean the toxic waste they're producing isn't extremely dangerous (hence them burying it so far underground). and, apparently, the wind blows our way, and so we'd all be ****ed, while the majority of Britain (except for Cumbria, of course) will probably apologise profusely. this is probably why nobody is compaigning to have whatever nuclear power plant in france to be closed down. it's not an immediate risk to us (selfish, but you know, i can kind of see where they're coming from.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by o sleep

...this is probably why nobody is compaigning to have whatever nuclear power plant in france to be closed down. it's not an immediate risk to us (selfish, but you know, i can kind of see where they're coming from.

The plant in France is a reprocessing facility like Sellafield. If the wind is blowing from the south-east then La Hague would effect us in a few hours.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

who gives a flying fuc k if it MIGHT blow up or MIGHT be attacked or whatever, the point is - sellafield is pumping waste into the irish sea everyday just like the power plant in the simpsons and the three-eyed fish etc.

Just shut it down, if not because of the potential risk, because of the present damage it is causing. there is no 2 ways about this.

thats my ranting done

feRdi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

is everybody going to send off those postcard things to Tony Blair. I thinkeverybody should to get the dumpof a place closed. It could blow up by itself anytime cuz its really old and really dodgy! If the wind was blowing our way it would take out all of the eastern side of the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

bombidol, Collecting Mod

good for you, you got wat you wanted from DeV :)

Advertisement