Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parachuting?

• 04-04-2002 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

Now I have heard around the campfire that you get a free skydive or something of the sort if you collect €300 (not sure of the exact amount) for an Irish Charity. Anyone have any more information regarding this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah i heard of that. some of my friends have done that. I think it might be a little more that 300 Euro. I'll try find out some more about it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think the Irish Council for the Blind had been doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

As far as I know the Irish council for the blind have jumps set up for june and august or something. not sure about how much it is but I'll get back with the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I have the leaflet here (you can pick them up in Xtra-Vision or ChartBusters), I've e-mailed them asking for more information, I'm seriously considering doing it myself. The minimum amount is €500, and that limits you to a certain height I think...... also the jump has to be a tandem jump with an instructer AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

You should get the cash together to do this!
    I swear its a rush that is only beaten by base jumping (apparently, i have never had to oppurtunity or the ball$ to do that), but jumping will blow your mind!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Well worth it. If I wasn't too lazy to collect the money, I'd definatly do it. Skydiving is my second favorite extreme sport that I've done, after white water rafting. Nothing wrong with tandem jumps either. I think you have to do a year of training or something to do solo jumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

As Mills says, €500 is the minimum for the jump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Thats all well and good, but who do i contact in relation to going about doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Check out the Irish Parachute Club at http://www.skydive.ie

Without a doubt one of the best, friendliest and safest dropzones in the world (not kidding, take this from a skydiver). Definately the place to go for a introduction to the sport.

Telephone 1850-260600 or e-mail info@skydive.ie

(Just a word of warning though, you'll more than likely want to do it again... and again.... and again... :) and eventually your whole life revolves around skydiving. Soon you'll wonder what you ever did with your weekends!? ;) )

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 @boy

Special offers at The Irsih Parachute Club for Solo static line and Tandem Skydive courses for the 5th to the 9th of August.

Solo : 270 EUR (Normally 320)
    Tandem : 290 EUR (Normally 320)

The Irish Parachute Club
    Clonbullogue, Co.Offaly, Ireland
    Phone:1-850-260 600
    Fax:(01) 2846848
    Email: info@skydive.ie
    Web : www.skydive.ie

Blue Skies,

<snip>
    http://www.skydive.ie/members/pages/255henrb.htm

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

sorry, but if I am willing to fling myslef from a plane and pay major dinero to do it I shouldnt have to take a year's worth of classes, I just want to jump out by myself, I dont fancy jumping out attached to someone really, part of jumping is the spontanaeity of it all, taking classes and preparing for it just takes the fun out of it for me, ofcourse they will have to give me some pinters and whatnot, but how hard can it be really? jump, count, pull...fall, drop and roll...but that's just my feeling on the subject. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Oh cool, I'm gonna do this I think. Woohoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

You do not need to do a tandem (Strapped to someone) jump. As long as you raise the money you spend a few days training then you jump. My dad did this a few years back after raising 1k for charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Actually training only takes one day with the jump that evening or the following day (depending on weather usually)

To be honest though I would recommend the tandem if only cause you go higher and get to experience freefall :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 @boy

To clarify a few points raised in this thread that seem to be leading to some confusiion regarding parachuting/skydiving in this country....

1) There are only 2 licenced airfields in the Rebublic of Ireland that are cleared for parachuting operations.
    The main one is based in Clonbullogue, Co. Offaly (1 hours drive from Dublin). This is The Irish Parachute Club, one of the oldest sport parachuting clubs in the world, established in 1956.
    All information regarding location, courses, prices, weekly news and much more can be found at the club website at www.skydive.ie - The IPC does not advertise commercially other than through the Golden Pages and via its own members, although you will see the odd posters knocking about.

The other parachuting operation advertises via leaflets at many service stations, takeaway restaurants, etc and it is currently based in Hackettstown, Co. Carlow. This is a much smaller operation, which does not allow first time jumpers to make a solo jump course, insisting they make a Tandem skydive first.

The overall regulating body for sport parachuting in the Republic of Ireland is the Parachute Association of Ireland and their website is located at http://indigo.ie/~pai/

2) You can avoid the cost of paying for the 1st jump course (Tandem OR Solo) from your own pocket by raising 520 EUR for charity. Cards are available from the IPC.
    Subsequent solo progression jumps cost 26 EUR per jump until you buy your own parachute when each jump from 10,000 feet (a 45 second freefall) will cost 20 EUR.

3) Training for a first jump course does not take a year or 'days'.
    For a Tandem skydive, there is an approx. 30 minute briefing from the Tandem Master before you are taken up as a passive passenger on the skydive from 10,000 ft.
    For a Solo Static line course, there is one full days training that starts at 9am and results in you jumping, weather permitting, from 3,500 ft on your own at the end of the day.
    Continuing on to solo freefall is a matter of progression and this progression table can be found on the PAI website at http://indigo.ie/~pai/ratings.htm

4) Finally, and this one addresses BEATS earlier comments....Skydiving is not simply a question of 'jump, count, pull...fall, drop and roll'. If people were left to their own devices with that attitude, they would be lucky to survive their first solo freefall jump.
    Would you adopt this attitude with Paragliding ? (Just stap on the harness and wing and 'have a go'), or with Scuba Diving ? (if you had no prior experience or technical knowledge of the equipment or hidden dangers)
    This is a dangerous sport if you do not receive proper training.
    To think you can bypass thi training simply because you have watched 'DropZone', 'Point Break' and 'Terminal Velocity' would be a very naive, childish and immature attitude indeed.

Blue Skies & Safe Dives,

<snip>
    The Irish Parachute Club
    (ex Irish Formation Skydiving team member with 986 jumps, 10 years in the sport and 4 surgeries as a result of the sport, despite all the training received !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Im not saying the standard is a few days but my dad trained for roughly 2 or 3 days before being allowed to jump.

BTW this was around 4 years ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Sounds like a complete rush!

I'd have no problem doing a tandem dive (in fact, I think I'd prefer it) for my first couple of goes, but I wouldn't mind taking the plunge as a soloist :)

I must look further into it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I did it 5 years ago twice.
    UNFUKKINREAL
    its was £250 then got 600 so made up 2 cards hehehe

The most amazing experience you will ever do.
    1st time was tandem i asked for it wasnt sure if they would let me on my own but the 2nd time i was on my own and to be honest the 1st was a lil better cosit was 1st time and i didnt have to do anything just land :)
    as someone in here says
    "i endorse this product and or service"
    make sure you hit your local pub at closing time over busy nights and get a free haircut on one of them to raise money.

Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mercury

Originally posted by Victor
    I think the Irish Council for the Blind had been doing it.

Would that not scare the **** out of the guide-dogs??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Mercury
    Would that not scare the **** out of the guide-dogs??? :D
    Well the blind jumper knows when to bend their knees when the leash goes slack. :p;)
    Originally posted by BEAT
    sorry, but if I am willing to fling myslef from a plane and pay major dinero to do it I shouldnt have to take a year's worth of classes, I just want to jump out by myself, I dont fancy jumping out attached to someone really, part of jumping is the spontanaeity of it all, taking classes and preparing for it just takes the fun out of it for me, ofcourse they will have to give me some pinters and whatnot, but how hard can it be really? jump, count, pull...fall, drop and roll...but that's just my feeling on the subject.
    One word for that ***SPLAATTT***. But seriously, I think @boy hasn't answered it a bit more clearly. A friend went on a jump in the USA and one of her fellow jumpers vomited in mid air, apparently not a pretty picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

My sister is doing that. Collecting €500 to jump 10,000 feet I think, not 100% sure. I'd lurve to do that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Heh!

MY mum just got home from my ousins house after watching the videos of my two cousins doing it in Australia (camera is attached to instructor co-jumper person)

Said the looks on their faces was absolutely hilarious, and one of meh cousins half-passed out on the way down (he denies it of course) :)

Sounds cool, and i want to do it!

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

yeha, that, paragliding, bungee-jumping, snowboarding and microlite piloting are somethigs i have on my list to do.

Anywhere in Ireland you can go bungee jumping?
    Spose festivals and fairs and stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

im planning on doing the charity jump. any ideas on how i can raise €500 quickly??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by smak
    im planning on doing the charity jump. any ideas on how i can raise €500 quickly??

Prostitution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You'd make a killing, especially with that thing you do with fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Resurecting an old thread... but has anybody done this recently? I'm thinking about trying it sometime in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone else think it'd be cool to get a gang of us from boards to do it and we could organise a boards beers/boards table quiz/poker tournaments etc as fundraisers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Please don't say there is an age limit! I asked mom 'bout it, she said not after the incident...:(

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sleepy
    Anyone else think it'd be cool to get a gang of us from boards to do it and we could organise a boards beers/boards table quiz/poker tournaments etc as fundraisers?

Cool, yes, feasible, probably not. I was just thinking about doing it after finishing the leaving cert... sometime during the summer.
    Please don't say there is an age limit! I asked mom 'bout it, she said not after the incident...

From what I see you need to be at least 16 and if you're under 18 you need to have a parent with you to sign a consent form. Probably to say that you wont sue if you go splat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Aye, I'd love to parachute, but that'll set me back €500, too damn lazy to go to houses raising money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Right, let me get this straight. You people want to pay €500 or whatever it is to throw yourselves out of an airplane from a height of 10,000 feet with nothing more than a glorified bedsheet rolled up in a backpack strapped to your back? Correct? Well, all I can say about that is..........

ARE YOU PEOPLE F**KING NUTS? :eek:

There is no frigging way you would catch me doing something like that. And yet you're all willing to pay to do it? Christ, you couldn't pay me any amount of money to do that! For f**ck's sake, I get vertigo on a stepladder! :D

And as for bungee jumping, jumping out of a crane with a glorified elastic band wrapped around your ankles! Sweet Jesus, that's even more nuts!

You people are crazy.......... CRAZY, I tells ya! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I did one a while ago, and can say that it is an absolutely amazing experience! I did a solo static line jump, so I got to go out on my own. Had to get out of the plane, and put my foot on this step thing, then pull myself along this bar under the wing, then let go! I will definitely be doing a few this summer, trying to convince my friends that they should go do one too!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Done a solo jump in Oz a few years back. On the same day as I got bitten by a shark and did a bungee jump. I felt pretty invincible by the end of the day.

Cheers for all the info so far, I´m definitely doing another jump before the end of the summer, you guys have inspired me.

Originally posted by Demeant0r
    Aye, I'd love to parachute, but that'll set me back €500, too damn lazy to go to houses raising money.

I think it's only €320... but I hear it's alot cheaer abroad, although maybe not as safe. You could probably check it out when you're away on holiday or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Boy Gorgeous

Did a tandem jump in the US last summer - amazing experience alright. The scenery was amazing cos it was near a rugged coastline - can't imagine matching scenery in Offaly! Cost €200 which is well reasonable. And for people who might think tandem jumps wouldn't be as good - you don't even notice the instructor, there's a good gap between you and them.

Advertisement