Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy And Metal

• 05-04-2002 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Dont the two art forms complememt themselves perfectly?
    Black metal..the dark athmosphere is the perfect ambiance for fantasy.Anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Not all fantasy, but fantasy with a sci-fi twist generally works quite well.:alien:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Agreed with that, various type of music can fit fantasy (Celtic, classical, Metal...). Now Dark Fantasy as The Necroscope Series (From Brian Lumley) and other books/films the same type fit perfectly with Black (Metal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yes.
    Especially considering the amount of bands named from Tolkien's works:

Burzum
    Morgul
    Gorgoroth
    Cirith Ungol
    Isengard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

has to be more athmospheric though..like doom/black metal.
    Khynareth,what is The Necroscope Series like..i read the first book..did not know what really to make of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

Have read Robin Hobbs 'Assassin' series and Terry Brooks Heritage of Shannara and Jerle Shannara series listening to Anathema and My Dying Bride to good effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Originally posted by Ruaidhri
    what is The Necroscope Series like..

I really enjoyed it. The concepts behind it is very well studied and documented. He has several interesting theory (one remarquable about death).

The story is very interesting, a bit predictible sometimes, but always catchy. He is great at setting the decors and atmosphere...

I think that on the last volumes I read, he was a bit running out of material though...

I'm still looking for the last 3 volumes (Don't have a CC, so can't get them on the net), so I don't know then 'end' yet...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sheesh, ya didn't mention blind Guardian AW.

most of their songs are based on one fantasy series or another, with themost popular theme being tlotr.

they made an album " nightfall in middle earth" in 98, which tells the story of the silmarillion.
    tis great :)

they have a few mp3s on mp3.com i think

they have a new album out now, " a night at the opera" which has a song, "and then there was silence" 14 minutes long, about the Illiad.

absaloutely fupping amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

well the type of bands i was thinking about really was black metal..death is my favourite type of metal..but it just does not set the scene..it grabs your attention to much and makese you listen to it.but black and doom and ambient are great background music, like at dawn they sleep ( mp3.com/adts ) or ater draconis ( mp3.com/aterdraconis ) are really cool..(yeah free plug!!)i especially liked ater draconis and opeth for setting a relaxed mood to read.

oh yeah..do lyrics really matter? it is just that you would not be listening to the lyrics and reading at the same time,that's why ater draconis are good for that,because they are mostly instrumental

do you know any other good athmospheric/doom instrumental bands?

Advertisement