Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE domain problems?

Options
  • 05-04-2002 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

I just noticed the sticky post about IE watch. I've never registered a .ie domain myself, what problem do people have with the IE domain register people/methods? (Apart from them costing around five times as much as a .net or .com to register)

-Son of Blam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I have registered .com/.net/.org etc. domains for myself, for clients, for friends etc. without any problems. Althought there was a lot of press hype in the past about cybersquatting and registering famous people's names etc., that is all a thing of the past.
    Normally registration of a .com takes about 5 minutes from checking availabilty to paying for it by credit card. Within 48-72 the domain is available on the net.

The .ie registry is a completely different kettle of fish. As the entire process is manual and the amount of paperwork involved ridiculous most clients don't even bother registering. It's far easier to get two or three .com's than it is to get one .ie
    The pricing structure - as everybody knows - means that it isn't very attractive either. Why would you pay upwards of €70/year, when you can get a .com for as low as €15/year??
    It's a real pity, because the .ie should be available to any company, trader, group etc. that wants to identify itself as being Irish.

Maybe sometime in the future this crazy situation will be resolved, but until then I will be advising clients to keep away from .ie's

Advertisement